Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Engine mounts worn out?

Page 1 of 1 1
Engine mounts worn out?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 6:00 PM
bigcatny

Date registered: Dec 1899
Engine mounts worn out?

I've been noticing lately that the ML seems to have slightly more vibration when idling. Wondering if this is a sign of needing new rubber or silicone or whatever down on the engine mounts. How can you tell if that's the problem or if it's a symptom of something else. Anyone have pictures of what to look for?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 6:22 PM
Marcelc

RE: Engine mounts worn out?

bigcatny - 5/12/2006 11:00 PM I've been noticing lately that the ML seems to have slightly more vibration when idling. Wondering if this is a sign of needing new rubber or silicone or whatever down on the engine mounts. How can you tell if that's the problem or if it's a symptom of something else. Anyone have pictures of what to look for?

I don't claim to be an expert, but I think you rev the engine from idle to say 3K rpm and watch it, if the engine moves from side to side (torque reaction) unduly then the mounts need replacing.

Perhaps, someone else has a better method.

#11631 - in reply to #11626
Author
Posted 5/12/2006 6:48 PM
AndrewAZ

Re: Engine mounts worn out?

Vibrations are a good sign. Mine went out at 22,000 miles and from reading post on BW the ML mounts don't seem to be the best. The best way is if you are under warranty the dealer will check it out for you. Its hard to do it by looking at the engine movement you really need to actually see the mounts. But other things could cause the vibration like a miss fire or a belt.
#11636 - in reply to #11626
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1