Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W164 & W166 M-Class : Oil on Turbo

Page 1 of 1 1
Oil on Turbo
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 12/5/2009 10:25 AM
dmcginn2
Regular

Date registered: Apr 2007
Oil on Turbo

Just had turbo issues, and to make a long story short I had to have one of the computer controlled/electro mechanical valves that control boost replaced. Mechanic had to take the turbo off to get to the valve. That was done the day before thanksgiving.

Fast forward...changed the oil last night and noticed oil sludge on the turbo...not a lot. Never noticed any before. I cleaned it up and test drove the car for about 7 miles or so. When I got back home, I noted more oil, but it was clean oil...the new stuff I put in and not sludge.

So I decided to take off the y shaped intake that goes from the air filter boxes to the inlet of the turbo. I noticed the oil was also sitting in the bottom of the turbo inlet. I also noticed a a thin film of oil inside the plastic intake from where the breather hose plugs in. Cleaned everything up, put it all back together. Drove the same distance and noticed some oil again, but not as much as before. I think it's left over oil that I was not able to clean up. (Couldn't get in there)

My guess last night was either the breather hose had not been inserted all the way and oil was slowly seeping out into the engine compartment and getting on the turbo, or the intake tube that connects to the turbo was not all the way tight and that thin film of oil was getting on the turbo. Makes sense since it looks like the oil was coming from the intake connection more so than anywhere else and flowing back onto the turbo and accumulating (as I drove?) on the upper right part of the turbo and pipe that goes to the intercooler.

I dont' think it has to do with oil lines to the turbo either otherwise I would hav eassumed the turbo would have failed by now since I drive it down the highway for 1.5 hrs in excess of 65-80mph when I went to Charlotte.

1. Correct me if I am wrong...a little oil from the breather hose is normal...right?

2. Is there anything else in that general area I should be looking at/for?

BTW, I broke the hose clamp on the turbo inlet and had to replace that with a non standard one, so i am thinking it was shot to begin with or I broke it. Not sure.

Any thoughts?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 12/5/2009 5:04 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: Oil on Turbo

There was always some oil present at the inlet to the turbo on my ML320CDI. In fact, I accidentally cut that gasket that goes between the turbo and that Y from the air filters; and I ended up with a pretty good oil drip under the car. When I replaced that gasket, the drip went away; but there is always some oil in that inlet pipe to the turbo.

I think what you're seeing is normal; and probably helps to lube the turbo a bit.
#161459 - in reply to #161437
Author
Posted 12/5/2009 10:24 PM
dmcginn2
Regular

Re: Oil on Turbo

Well, I let my wife drive it today, and it seems that the oil is less than before...hardly any on the outside of the turbo now. I feel much better about it now.

I guess my original hunch was right.

That's good info to know Dutch about that gasket sleeve thing too. Appreciated.

And for the record, for whatever reason, getting that y shaped inlet thing back together was a pain.
#161485 - in reply to #161437
Author
Posted 12/6/2009 9:35 AM
dmcginn2
Regular

Re: Oil on Turbo

For future reference what is the part number for that gasket sleeve replacement that you used?

DjM
#161507 - in reply to #161437
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1