Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Coming to visit USA!

Page 2 of 2 12
Coming to visit USA!
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 4:17 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): GD300 1981, Alfa GT 3,2 V6, Alfa Brera Q4 3,2 V6.
RE: Coming to visit USA!

Thanks MarcO, will follo-up this one as well. Great stuff!

amzimmy
#14412 - in reply to #14169
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 9:23 PM
G4Garret
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2000 G500, U1100, SLK350, LR 101, WC-63 6x6

MarcO - 5/18/2006 11:26 AM

Hertz (nfi) has both LR3 and Jeep Commander available at most locations though you will pay premium rate for LR3. Also available are Toyota 4Runner and Hummers (if you must ). Enjoy the visit.

It may be out of the running due to the long-term rental cost, but I've rented the LR3 several times. It is an excellent vehicle on the road, really it's unbelievable that it's a Land Rover product, far superior to either the Commander or GC in every single way except maybe fuel mileage. I'm in a 2006 GC right now, and I cannot wait to get home to my G the GC is not what they used to be, even a couple years ago, in my opinion anyway. The LR3 is Pretty good off-road too, better than the Jeep in my opinion, as long as it doesn't break. And I speak from experience, I broke a Hertz LR3 in the Rockies last year, or rather it broke itself. A software glitch they told me...

Garret
#14515 - in reply to #13748
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 6:21 PM
Brent
Expert

Vehicle(s): '13 Wolfsburg GTI

From Salt Lake City you are central to most western states attractions. Not sure what you seek but I can't imagine puposely going anywhere near LA. No offense to residents but.....thats one BIG ugly city in my experience. Heading south in Utah to Moab is excellent advice, very unique and beautiful. The suggestion to hit Yellowstone park and the Grand Tetons is another very good one. South of that is Colorado, plenty of spectacular places to visit there. South and west of that, Sedona Arizona is a great place to see as well.

If you want hustle and bustle, Vegas, LA and San Fransico are the direction to go. If natural beauty and quiet are more you speed try some of my suggestions. If you get down towards Moab, come east a couple of hours to my little berg of Ouray Colorado, dinners on me
#15119 - in reply to #12036
Author
Posted 5/23/2006 5:21 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

Brent - 5/22/2006 12:21 AM

From Salt Lake City you are central to most western states attractions. Not sure what you seek but I can't imagine puposely going anywhere near LA. No offense to residents but.....thats one BIG ugly city in my experience. Heading south in Utah to Moab is excellent advice, very unique and beautiful. The suggestion to hit Yellowstone park and the Grand Tetons is another very good one. South of that is Colorado, plenty of spectacular places to visit there. South and west of that, Sedona Arizona is a great place to see as well.

If you want hustle and bustle, Vegas, LA and San Fransico are the direction to go. If natural beauty and quiet are more you speed try some of my suggestions. If you get down towards Moab, come east a couple of hours to my little berg of Ouray Colorado, dinners on me :cheers:

Hi Brent,

Very kind of you for the info, will definitively take the suggestion in consideration!........especially the dinner .........
I have been in contact with Dave G and he has been so very kind and sort a trip schedule for us:

(this is only the driving bit!)

Day One - Drive SLC to Moab area, visit Arches or Canyonlands parks and spend the night in Moab
Day Two - Drive Moab to Bailey, CO by way of I-70, CO-9, US-285 & visit Gomes'
Day Three - Drive to Cortez, CO by US-285, US-50, US-550 stop in Silverton, or Telluride, etc along the way
Day Four - visit Mesa Verde near Cortez then drive to Grand Canyon by way of Monument Valley
Day Five - visit Grand Canyon
Day Six - Drive through Las Vegas and Death Valley to US-395 @ Lone Pine, Stay in Mammoth ,CA
Day Seven - Drive over Tioga Pass (I have to check if it's typically open that time of year, but I think it is) through Yosemite national park, and on to San Francisco (or better yet, stay in Yosemite that night and go on to SF in the morning!)

Would this bring me near to your "little berg of Ouray"?

This is a very awesome and thrilling trip, the BIG Cities are not a must for us, (we spend our lives in big cities .... and shopping we do when we are bored!)

Will keep in touch!

amzimmy
#15306 - in reply to #15119
Author
Posted 5/23/2006 6:14 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

G4Garret - 5/20/2006 3:23 AM

MarcO - 5/18/2006 11:26 AM

Hertz (nfi) has both LR3 and Jeep Commander available at most locations though you will pay premium rate for LR3. Also available are Toyota 4Runner and Hummers (if you must ). Enjoy the visit.

It may be out of the running due to the long-term rental cost, but I've rented the LR3 several times. It is an excellent vehicle on the road, really it's unbelievable that it's a Land Rover product, far superior to either the Commander or GC in every single way except maybe fuel mileage. I'm in a 2006 GC right now, and I cannot wait to get home to my G the GC is not what they used to be, even a couple years ago, in my opinion anyway. The LR3 is Pretty good off-road too, better than the Jeep in my opinion, as long as it doesn't break. And I speak from experience, I broke a Hertz LR3 in the Rockies last year, or rather it broke itself. A software glitch they told me...

Garret

Hi Garret,

Just as a query, can you hire LR3 diesel or are the rental vehicle only gasoline? I have surfed the net at Hertz but they do not specify!

amzimmy
#15312 - in reply to #14515
Author
Posted 5/24/2006 9:53 AM
Brent
Expert

Vehicle(s): '13 Wolfsburg GTI

The LR3 will be gas only, they do not sell a deisel version in the US.

Your trip down Hwy 550 will bring you right through my town of Ouray. Telluride is OK but a little out of the way. Take 550 south through Ouray, Silverton, and down to Durango, then west to Cortez etc. Let me know the fianl plan when it gets close!
#15625 - in reply to #12036
Author
Posted 5/24/2006 10:03 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

Brent,

thanks for the info (LR3), your town destination is in my GPS, will drop in and that's a promise!

amzimmy,
#15630 - in reply to #15625
Author
Posted 5/25/2006 11:57 AM
Kermit

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: Coming to visit USA!

Here in Oz we have a thing called relocation hire where you can hire a vehicle (car, motorhome, etc) for $1 a day (www.standbycars.com.au) and they even throw in free fuel. Surely you must have something like that in the USA. There are a few catches, like you have to deliver it in a certain number of days, but it's still well worth it.
#15988 - in reply to #12036
Author
Posted 5/25/2006 3:17 PM
ewalberg
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2000 g500
RE: SF to LA

There's a wonderful place to stay outside of San luis Obispo call Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort. Not that cheap, but each room has it's own private outside hot tube with natural hotspring water pumped in. They have mid-week rates that are a little cheaper and might just cut you a deal if you say it's your first time. You would drive through the area taking either 101 or 1 south from the SF area becuase they're the same road through there. If you take 1 there's a little place called Rudell's Smokehouse in Cayucos (little town) and he makes AWESOME fish taco's for lunch.

It wouldn't be a bad idea at all to stay one extra night on the drive down. If you want to see Hearst Castle you may want to book your tour ahead because the wait for a given tour can be 2 hours or more, especially if you just drive up at any time other than first opening.
#16083 - in reply to #12134
Author
Posted 5/26/2006 4:29 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

RE: SF to LA

ewalberg - 5/24/2006 9:17 PM

There's a wonderful place to stay outside of San luis Obispo call Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort. Not that cheap, but each room has it's own private outside hot tube with natural hotspring water pumped in..................

That sounds GREAT! However, I will not show this message to my Wife..........she will stay for an extra Month! $$$$$ .........just kidding.

Will definitively put this in to the trip itinery, Thanks!

amzimmy
#16472 - in reply to #16083
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 2 12