Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Shifting from D to N while the car is still moving...

Page 1 of 1 1
Shifting from D to N while the car is still moving...
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/15/2006 4:03 AM
Mklasse

Date registered: Dec 1899
Shifting from D to N while the car is still moving...

Guys, last night my uncle wanted to test drive my ML, so i let him.

When the car was still moving.. approaching the red light, he moved the transmission lever to N.. then hit the brakes. Is this OK? I told him once that he should brake the car to a complete stop then move it to N, he said OK, but then after a while, he was back on doing it. Then when we're lining up, he kept move the lever to N.. stop a bit.. then D.. run a bit.. then N... stop a bit.. then D.. run a bit.. then N.. stop a bit.. and so on (prolly 6-7 times) until the road is clear.

I was almost had it and snap last night, but was still trying to control my emotion..

Should I check anything for the transmission? Never again I'd let him drive.. ever!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/15/2006 5:05 AM
Marcelc

RE: Shifting from D to N while the car is still moving...

I believe this is OK, free-wheeling is 'banned' in the handbook because, if the engine is not running then the transmission oil pump is not running either, in your case the engine was running so free-wheeling is mechanically OK.

Have I missed the point? Is that what you were worried about or is there another problem I haven't thought of?

#12417 - in reply to #12415
Author
Posted 5/15/2006 6:18 AM
Mklasse

Marcelc - 5/15/2006 4:05 PM

I believe this is OK, free-wheeling is 'banned' in the handbook because, if the engine is not running then the transmission oil pump is not running either, in your case the engine was running so free-wheeling is mechanically OK.

Have I missed the point? Is that what you were worried about or is there another problem I haven't thought of?

Yes that what I was worried about.. it's good if it's ok then...

I was also worried as at one time he was shifting the transmission from D-N-D repeatedly. But then after that, when i drive my ML again, no problem has been occured.. so maybe thats ok then

Thanks Marcelc!

#12419 - in reply to #12417
Author
Posted 5/15/2006 7:16 AM
ttaleric

Re: Shifting from D to N while the car is still moving...

Not so sure if that is what killed my tranny. Before my tranny went bad, i drove my truck fairly easy, giving it hell once and a good while. But I would go down the mountain from school and shift from D-N and once down from the mountain shift back into D. I feel like this is what or had a hand in killing my tranny. I personally would not do it, nor let someone else do it!
#12433 - in reply to #12415
Author
Posted 5/15/2006 9:03 AM
Marcelc

ttaleric - 5/15/2006 12:16 PMNot so sure if that is what killed my tranny. Before my tranny went bad, i drove my truck fairly easy, giving it hell once and a good while. But I would go down the mountain from school and shift from D-N and once down from the mountain shift back into D. I feel like this is what or had a hand in killing my tranny. I personally would not do it, nor let someone else do it!
Yes, I would not let it freewheel a long way, nor at a higher road speed with the engine at idle, but initially the issue was freewheeling a few yards to a stop which I reckon is poor driving style but harmless, whereas freewheeling down mountains, and maybe at speed, is another kettle of fish! What is the point of freewheeling down mountains? The fuel consumption drops to zero if you leave it in gear and coast (or nearly zero if you are using a lot of AC), plus there is a question of car control when the gear is not engaged.
#12455 - in reply to #12433
Author
Posted 5/15/2006 9:08 AM
ttaleric

Marcelc -
Seemed like a good idea at the time!
#12457 - in reply to #12455
Author
Posted 5/15/2006 9:13 AM
Marcelc

Good answer !
#12459 - in reply to #12457
Author
Posted 5/15/2006 11:00 PM
sin0822

Whats the point of doing this?
#12794 - in reply to #12415
Author
Posted 5/16/2006 12:15 AM
Mklasse

sin0822 - 5/16/2006 10:00 AM Whats the point of doing this?

I guess this is one of the myth of "how to save gas"... i guess some people assume the more we drive in N, the more we save gasoline, which is untrue IMO. As long as the engine is running, its burning gas.. it will only burn more gas if you accelerating.

#12835 - in reply to #12794
Author
Posted 5/16/2006 12:48 AM
saraiks

It comes as a baggage of driving a stick down the hills!! To go fast downhill in a stick and avoid burning the clutch some people rely on brakes only
#12874 - in reply to #12415
Author
Posted 5/16/2006 11:35 AM
Marcelc

Mklasse - 5/16/2006 5:15 AM

sin0822 - 5/16/2006 10:00 AM Whats the point of doing this?

I guess this is one of the myth of "how to save gas"... i guess some people assume the more we drive in N, the more we save gasoline, which is untrue IMO. As long as the engine is running, its burning gas.. it will only burn more gas if you accelerating.

I could well be wrong, but I thought when you removed your foot from the accelerator, or indeed did not move your accelerator foot and pressed the brake, the injection system cut off the fuel supply to the engine, the trip computer shows zero fuel consumption and I believe the engine is using either zero fuel or next to it.  Any braking comes from the compression effect of the cylinders (presumably more on a diesel engine as there is no butterfly).

#13040 - in reply to #12835
Author
Posted 5/16/2006 6:51 PM
AndrewAZ

I put mine into N everyday when I am pulling in the garage since I go down a hill and dont need anymore power. But a big no no would be putting it from N to D when the car is moving.
#13162 - in reply to #12415
Author
Posted 8/30/2007 6:20 PM
Tarydesign

Hi all,

I had this thought today (since I have to turn off the engine- to reset the limp home mode when it activates- until I get a new MAF ), Can the ML gearbox handle shifting to N and back to Drive while moving (at say 60km/h or 100km/h)?? Will it select the correct gear for the speed, or default to 1st??

Can you push start these gearboxes/engines?? - My old E320 can!!!
#87451 - in reply to #12415
Author
Posted 8/31/2007 1:33 AM
Marsden
Classic MB

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): Mercedes-Benz

I can't imagine push-starting one of these.  And as Andrew said (with the MB trannies I know) you don't dare go from N to D or R whilst the car is in motion.  Really, don't. 

#87498 - in reply to #12415
Author
Posted 8/31/2007 5:49 AM
Tarydesign

I Agree, just the thought makes me shudder...

SOO, If you are on your way to your caostal holiday, 200km away from any civilisation and in the middle of the desert and your wife (or Partner ) accidently "bumps" The gear lever into N, your only choice is to stop and replace it into D?? What happens if it is bumped into R (spaRe paRts foR youR geaRbox)??

Anyone know what the tranny is 'supposed' to do?? (Besides shift gears-LOL)!!
#87505 - in reply to #12415
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1