Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W164 & W166 M-Class : Jap spec ML500 'command unit'

Page 1 of 1 1
Jap spec ML500 'command unit'
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 3/9/2010 7:56 PM
Carlb
New user

Date registered: Jul 2009

Jap spec ML500 'command unit'

Hi, I have recently bought myself an ML 500 (W164 2006 year model) that was imported to here (New Zealand) after first being sold in the Japanese market. I am hoping someone can help me with a few Q's re the 'command' unit. The car stereo unit is a MB command A164 820 0579 with all the options (Sat Nav, phone, TV, DVD etc) all in Japanese and none of which work here anyhow. The plan is to replace the unit with an ex Europe CD Radio unit without all of the (useless in NZ) extras but there are still a few other problems.
Is it possible to recalibrate or adjust the digital compass. Mine still believes the car is in tokyo
Similarly the clock (in the speedometer) still runs tokyo time.

All instructions are in Japanese on the command unit (limited English Language function) but there seems no way in to reset the clock or compass

Anyone got any ideas?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/20/2010 6:34 PM
am_beagle

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle(s): 08' ML350 ; 07' RDX; 03' Murano-Traded
Re: Jap spec ML500 'command unit'

1/ If you should better replace the HU with an ex-US Comand unit sold on eBay for $350 (without nav) or $700 (with nav DVD drive) to have English instructions.
2/ Check with a MB dealer in NZ to see if they can perforn a country-code switch from Japan to Euro or US, I believe this can be done with a StarDiagnosis laptop.
3/ To recalibrate the digital compass, I remember the ML manual says we have to drive the car in a closed circle clockwise and the counter-clockwise for a few minutes. In your case, I believe the car head unit with navigation get stuck with its last position in Japan, try to remove the Japanese specs navi DVD before recalibration.
All my two cents.
#176416 - in reply to #167901
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1