Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT installed in 2002 G500

Page 3 of 7 <1234.055.056.05>
Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT installed in 2002 G500
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/22/2010 8:38 PM
W5YK
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 G500, Unimog U2450,
Re: Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT installed in 2002 G500

BlueG - 4/22/2010 3:51 PM

Quick question - do you lose any functionality when you remove the COMAND and replace it with the Pioneer? Seems like you can keep the steering wheel buttons all working as they are labeled right?

What about any interface between the COMMAND and the display screen in the speedometer?

I have not discovered anything yet. I thought I would lose the ability to set the clock, but that function is automatically restored to the instrument cluster.

You lose a little bit of control over the audio from the steering wheel. With the Comand, you could select the audio source with the left-side steering-wheel "page" buttons, and then use the up and down arrow buttons to advance to the next station/track. You can't do that with an aftermarket radio, because you never select "audio" in the instrument cluster. If you program the left buttons do do those audio things they did before, which is possible, then the instrument cluster will go through all the menu options as you press the buttons. And if you use the buttons to scroll the menus, then the audio will change each time you press a button. I didn't like that, so I did not program the left buttons. I just use right buttons. You can program the phone buttons to be previous/next buttons if you prefer.

Maybe Karl has noticed more than me.

#170238 - in reply to #170231
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/22/2010 9:30 PM
fernweh

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): Few Mercedes-Benz, a Toyota Amphibious and a Vespa

W5YK - 4/22/2010 5:38 PM

BlueG - 4/22/2010 3:51 PM

Quick question - do you lose any functionality when you remove the COMAND and replace it with the Pioneer? Seems like you can keep the steering wheel buttons all working as they are labeled right?

What about any interface between the COMMAND and the display screen in the speedometer?

I have not discovered anything yet. I thought I would lose the ability to set the clock, but that function is automatically restored to the instrument cluster.

You lose a little bit of control over the audio from the steering wheel. With the Comand, you could select the audio source with the left-side steering-wheel "page" buttons, and then use the up and down arrow buttons to advance to the next station/track. You can't do that with an aftermarket radio, because you never select "audio" in the instrument cluster. If you program the left buttons do do those audio things they did before, which is possible, then the instrument cluster will go through all the menu options as you press the buttons. And if you use the buttons to scroll the menus, then the audio will change each time you press a button. I didn't like that, so I did not program the left buttons. I just use right buttons. You can program the phone buttons to be previous/next buttons if you prefer.

Maybe Karl has noticed more than me.

No, I did re-program the buttons to leave the left ones just for the display in the combi instrument. The right ones are controlling the volume and the phone ON & OFF hook.

The Pioneer system has a nice touch screen to advance the playlist of the ipod/iphone or changing the radio station tuning.

Karl

#170247 - in reply to #170238
Author
Posted 5/4/2010 1:06 PM
Indiana Drew
Expert

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle(s): 2002 G500 LWB, 1980 280GE SWB (Sold), S500

I went to a local shop (with large internet presence) yesterday to get a double dinn adapter for the '02 truck. I asked for a C Class and the guy told me it would not work in a G. After much "discussion" I gave up. He said he had dome lots of Gs and there were amplifiers that had to be by past and that the "head unit" in the dash was just a small part of the COMAND. He said it was foolish to remove all the stuff and use the STAR to reset all the faults ... I don't agree from what Richard and Karl have done ...

Also, does anyone have a full diagram of the system - where for instance are the subwoofers?

#170958 - in reply to #170247
Author
Posted 5/4/2010 1:16 PM
fernweh

Indiana Drew - 5/4/2010 10:06 AM

I went to a local shop (with large internet presence) yesterday to get a double dinn adapter for the '02 truck. I asked for a C Class and the guy told me it would not work in a G. After much "discussion" I gave up. He said he had dome lots of Gs and there were amplifiers that had to be by past and that the "head unit" in the dash was just a small part of the COMAND. He said it was foolish to remove all the stuff and use the STAR to reset all the faults ... I don't agree from what Richard and Karl have done ...

Also, does anyone have a full diagram of the system - where for instance are the subwoofers?

Drew,

never give in and/or never give up......

The double DIN adapter from the C-class is correct. Yes the aged CD changer in the rear will be disconnected, the voice command system is toast as well, but all the speakers as connected to the Comand will be connected to the new head unit and the sound out of them has been improved multi fold.

The Bluetoth phone interface works flawless as does the ipod interface - Harald's instructional videos are being shown everyday before dawn :-)

G-wagenaccessories.com will offer the complete installation complete with a back-up camera as well

Karl
#170959 - in reply to #170958
Author
Posted 5/4/2010 5:09 PM
Indiana Drew
Expert

fernweh - 5/4/2010 12:16 PM
Indiana Drew - 5/4/2010 10:06 AM

Drew, never give in and/or never give up...... The double DIN adapter from the C-class is correct. Yes the aged CD changer in the rear will be disconnected, the voice command system is toast as well, but all the speakers as connected to the Comand will be connected to the new head unit and the sound out of them has been improved multi fold. The Bluetoth phone interface works flawless as does the ipod interface - Harald's instructional videos are being shown everyday before dawn :-) G-wagenaccessories.com will offer the complete installation complete with a back-up camera as well Karl

Karl:

I don't know what additional amps the guy was talking about. I want to remove the CD Changer to use that space for the aux battery. The voice command system sucked and so did the hands free. I still don't know where the 4 6" sub woofers under the rear floor are or what would power them ... I have 5.1 Dolby in the 280 and it sounds great so I would like to put a speaker in the center dash above the AC vents. If I had room under the front seats, I'd likely put in a powered sub or two that are thin mounts. I would also replace the speakers with something a little bit better. Do we know if the existing speakers have cross overs that split the frequencies between the 3 per side in the front channels and two way separates in the back? My thought would be 3 way separates in the front (Tweeters in top of dash, mids under dash and woofers in the doors) and two way separates in the back (Tweeters or small two ways either side of rear door and woofers in rear side doors.)

#170971 - in reply to #170959
Author
Posted 5/4/2010 8:55 PM
W5YK
Extreme Veteran

Drew,

The 2002 did not have any audio amplifiers, just the Comand driving the loudspeakers directly. In subsequent years there was a Harmon Kardon amp installed under the driver's seat.

The front factory speakers are already separated into woofer/tweeter. The woofers are in the front doors, and the tweeters are under the small grilles at the end of the dash. There is already a center tweeter above the AC vents. Rear speakers are one unit.

Taking out the cd changer gives a lot of space, but maybe not enough for a battery. I am planning to put an air compressor in there.
#170973 - in reply to #170971
Author
Posted 5/4/2010 8:59 PM
W5YK
Extreme Veteran

Drew,

The 2002 did not have any audio amplifiers, just the Comand driving the loudspeakers directly. In subsequent years there was a Harmon Kardon amp installed under the driver's seat.

The factory speakers are already separated into woofer/tweeter. The woofers are in the front doors, and the tweeters are under the small grilles at the end of the dash. There is already a center tweeter above the AC vents. Rear woofers are in the doors, and tweeters beside the back door.

The small speakers above the driver's and passenger's feet are for the Teleaid only.

Taking out the cd changer gives a lot of space, but maybe not enough for a battery. I am planning to put an air compressor in there.
#170974 - in reply to #170971
Author
Posted 5/4/2010 9:11 PM
Indiana Drew
Expert

W5YK - 5/4/2010 7:59 PM Drew, The 2002 did not have any audio amplifiers, just the Comand driving the loudspeakers directly. In subsequent years there was a Harmon Kardon amp installed under the driver's seat. The factory speakers are already separated into woofer/tweeter. The woofers are in the front doors, and the tweeters are under the small grilles at the end of the dash. There is already a center tweeter above the AC vents. Rear woofers are in the doors, and tweeters beside the back door. The small speakers above the driver's and passenger's feet are for the Teleaid only. Taking out the cd changer gives a lot of space, but maybe not enough for a battery. I am planning to put an air compressor in there.

Richard:

Just as I thought save the little speakers you have identified! So since the Tweets and woofers are separated how are they driven in the stock configuration? Does each speaker have a wire from the COMAND? Is there a reason to keep the Teleaid speakers? I gather the center tweeter wire also terminates at the COMAND? Speaking of Teleaid has anyone else received correspondence  about a class action lawsuit?

As far as a battery where the CD changer is, did the pre 2002 463s have a smaller battery in that spot?

Thanks to both you and Karl for confirming the details ...

#170975 - in reply to #170974
Author
Posted 5/5/2010 12:19 AM
W5YK
Extreme Veteran

Indiana Drew - 5/4/2010 6:11 PM

So since the Tweets and woofers are separated how are they driven in the stock configuration? Does each speaker have a wire from the COMAND?

Just one pair pair of wires leaves the command for each woofer/tweeter combo. I assume they are just in parallel.

Is there a reason to keep the Teleaid speakers?

Nope. I'm leaving mine in place in case I need a speaker for a ham radio rig.

I gather the center tweeter wire also terminates at the COMAND?

No. I think it is wired to both the left and right front channels, somewhere outside the Comand. I think it is a special speaker with 4 terminals.

Speaking of Teleaid has anyone else received correspondence  about a class action lawsuit?

Some law firm will get $20m and we will get a coupon for $1 off a digital Tele-aid.

As far as a battery where the CD changer is, did the pre 2002 463s have a smaller battery in that spot?

The 2002 G500s and onward have a whole bunch of relays and connectors in there that makes it hard to fit a battery. Look underneath the CD changer for example. You could do it if you didn't mind moving some stuff around.
#170987 - in reply to #170975
Author
Posted 5/5/2010 12:42 AM
Indiana Drew
Expert

All that makes good sense Richard - at least this is all as I imagined it would be. The setup with the fronts would make for a good two or three way crossed separates speaker. I need to get into the center and see how much room is in there but I have a single dinn Alpine center channel speaker in the 280 that is quite nice sounding. Also I gather that everything under the front passengers seat comes out leaving it as vacant as the drivers side.

As far as the CD area, I will have to have a look at all that "stuff" and see if it is worth moving. I suppose that between using some of that area and perhaps the storage areas under the rear seat a group of paralleled smaller AGM batteries could be stashed as auxiliary ...

#170988 - in reply to #170987
Author
Posted 5/5/2010 12:55 AM
fernweh

W5YK - 5/4/2010 9:19 PM

Is there a reason to keep the Teleaid speakers?

Nope. I'm leaving mine in place in case I need a speaker for a ham radio rig.

Very good idea.......

please let me know when & where to find the speaker wires .......I 'll take the center island apart soon to clean up after a few on-road meals and a good time to run some necessary wires.

Karl
#170989 - in reply to #170987
Author
Posted 12/5/2011 3:08 PM
robwill54
Veteran

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle(s): '12 G550,F350 Superduty, E250

Great thread, I am taking the plunge. Did any of you install a camera and if so, which one?

Thanks
Bob
#197606 - in reply to #168638
Author
Posted 1/17/2012 9:50 AM
robwill54
Veteran

RE: Pioneer AVIC-Z110BT installed in 2002 G500

Thanks again for providing this information; it made my installation fairly easy. I put my Sirius tuner and interface boxes, one below the glovebox and the other on the driver's side under the dash at the firewall. I used your antenna location but didn't need the spacers under the head unit. The Pioneer ND-BC4 camera sits dead center on top of the rear bumper and really rounds out the package. I found the backup light power wire (Gray with a yellow tracer) in back close to the CD changer but also under dash driver's side to connect the reverse gear sensor wire on the head unit. I'm down to programming the steering wheel buttons and have a question. My G has the VR module with the stalk on the column. Would the stalk be tied into the buttons on the wheel? I installed the VR module and stalk and think I remember just removing a plug and putting on the stalk. This system really provides a quantum leap in technology for G owners; thanks again!

Bob
#199320 - in reply to #168638
Author
Posted 1/20/2012 3:24 PM
robwill54
Veteran

Okay, so the voice recognition lady in my radio must be hard of hearing. Pioneer has a new firmware update to deal with this problem, downloadable here:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/GPS-Navigation/AVIC-Z130...

Bob
#199538 - in reply to #168638
Author
Posted 5/31/2013 10:23 PM
sjtymko
G-Class Photo Host

Vehicle(s): 2002 G500, 2009 B200

W5YK - 3/27/2010 2:38 PM Here's a photo of the adapter harness I used. It's not essential to use one of these, but it makes life easier. You can do all your wiring on the kitchen table and then just go and plug it in. Much easier than splicing to wires in the truck. The way it comes, all the speaker connections (B-connector) are correct. The power connections (A-connector) are not correct, and you will need to move a couple of pins around. I attached the Comand pinouts so you can figure that out.

Blast from the past on this post, I know. However, I have a few questions as I'm in the middle of an install now.

1. My A connector coming out of the dash doesn't have a Pin 7 - 12V ignition. Did yours? If not, what did you use for a 12V ignition source?

2. Is the Pin 5 on the dash connector power the antenna booster mentioned elsewhere in this thread?

3. I presume the 2 wires coming out of Connector C1 go to the CD changer. Correct? (no use to me)

4. Any idea what pins the 4 wires coming out of the C2 Connector are attached to? This would save me from lots of trial and error.

There was a 2 wire harness going into the Command right beside where the A, B, and C connectors plug in. They look to be fibre-optic (guess on my part). Do you know if they are for the phone? It seems my G didn't come with the phone option.

Thanks,

Steve

#214355 - in reply to #168676
Author
Posted 6/1/2013 12:58 PM
sjtymko
G-Class Photo Host

Further to my previous questions:

I am getting no constant 12V power from the A harness in the dash. I thought this was strange. I plugged the old COMAND unit back in and it won't turn on. Probably because it has no power source. :banghead:  I checked fuse 64 - it is good. Any other ideas. I'm not too sure what happened from the time I removed the thing until now. I haven't been messing with anything else.

Steve

#214368 - in reply to #214355
Author
Posted 6/7/2013 8:10 PM
W5YK
Extreme Veteran

Steve,

1. There is no switched 12V on the connector, you have to pick it up from somewhere else. I think the closest is the cigarette lighter (that's what I used anyway).

2. Yes, pin 5 is the 12V output for the antenna booster. There should be an equivalent output for that from the aftermarket radio.

3. Those two wires are 12V to the CD changer.

4. As far as I can remember, the only pins used are: speed sensor, CAN H, CAN L, CAN ground (all from steering wheel buttons).

If your aftermarket radio can use that speed sensor signal, it's worth hooking up. It makes the nav much more responsive than just relying on GPS. The Pioneer unit I used has that option.

Edited by W5YK 6/7/2013 8:21 PM
#214588 - in reply to #168638
Author
Posted 6/8/2013 1:36 AM
sjtymko
G-Class Photo Host

Thanks. Unfortunately, my weekend is too busy to tackle it now. It will have to wait for next weekend.

Steve

#214595 - in reply to #214588
Author
Posted 7/28/2013 9:20 PM
xplitive
Regular

Date registered: May 2013
Vehicle(s): 2002 G500 capri blue, grey leather

W5YK, did you have any trouble with the ASWC1 on initial install? I've got my Pioneer Appradio3 wired up and followed everything in this thread as closely as possible. Enough that it worked on first try and bluetooth paired with my phone to stream. I am not seeing any LEDs on the ASWC box, tried the reset button and nothing is happening. I'm clipped pins 8 and 9 on the C2 connector and tied them into my pins 1 and 2 on the ASWC wiring harness. Connected the black wire to the black between the metra adapter and the radio harness. Male plug from the ASWC harness to the hardwire remote jack on the radio.
Maybe unrelated I also needed an antenna adapter to finish the install, went back to the store and got it so Right now on radio it doesn't seem to be able to go above Vol 1 (thats radio, earlier no problem on ipod)
#216004 - in reply to #214595
Author
Posted 7/29/2013 8:53 PM
xplitive
Regular

Date registered: May 2013
Vehicle(s): 2002 G500 capri blue, grey leather

nevermind, I just realized I forgot to hook up the power lead to the axxess box.... oooops.

also if you remove the factory gps antenna from the headlight location.. don't bother. Cut the wire and its throwing a code now.
#216018 - in reply to #168638
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 3 of 7 <1234.055.056.05>