Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Roadster Forums : R171 SLK Class : Do I need the new remote vario roof?

Page 1 of 2 12
Do I need the new remote vario roof?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 10:40 AM
jbanks15

Date registered: Dec 1899
Do I need the new remote vario roof?

OK. I want one and probably will get one but haven't been able to justify the need for it to myself just yet. It is not the expense (close to $400 US?) or the installation (thanks to the great pictures and input from members). Why do I need it? The coolness factor? the expression on the faces of people watching? the ease of operation? The fear of voiding the warranty in some fashion? Can I transfer it to the slk63 when and if it comes out and if it does not already have that function? How about a poll?

Edited by jbanks15 5/20/2006 10:42 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 1:18 PM
bclark

RE: Do I need the new remote vario roof?

Think of the time you'll save; some 25 seconds that you'd be having
to sit in your car while the roof opens. Think of the convenience factor;
when you get into your slk, you'll have both hands free to operate your
iPOD
#14466 - in reply to #14444
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 7:35 PM
Duo-Art

Re: Do I need the new remote vario roof?

$400 !! Save your money.
#14502 - in reply to #14444
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 10:07 PM
RonJeffries

I've decided not to get one. I probably would if it didn't void the warranty, but that possibility scares me.
#14522 - in reply to #14444
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 10:25 PM
jbanks15

we need a poll set up just for giggles. i'm not smart enough. anyone? anyone? bueller?

some options for poll:

I bought from x-t-c
I bought from Piecha
I wouldn't waste my money

Edited by jbanks15 5/20/2006 10:28 PM
#14525 - in reply to #14522
Author
Posted 5/20/2006 11:24 PM
etyu

The IR is ineffective and you have to stand and keep pointing the Smart Key at the sensor on the door handle for 22 seconds until the process is finished. RF is much more effective and you can "do" the roof while traveling at slow speed, e.g., no more worries that the light would change as you're retracting the roof at a red light.

Instead of modified wheels and tires, I went with this one because of its utility. As far as warranty is concerned, the module can be made "invisible" to Star Diagnostics before going in for service. I didn't purchase the mobile phone option so don't have to worry about pressing the call/end call buttons.
#14546 - in reply to #14444
Author
Posted 5/21/2006 6:46 AM
jbanks15

no phone either. have more members bought fromm xtc or piecha in your opinion? i know the units are supposed to be the same. like i said, xtc currently has it for 100 euros less at the moment.
#14663 - in reply to #14546
Author
Posted 5/21/2006 9:21 AM
Zut

Of course I have nothing against a better remote control for the vario roof, but what advantages this feature can possibly have beside showing off the roof operation from a distance? Although I respect and support every member's wish-list when it comes to improving the SLK, I sincerely do not understand why so many of you are fascinated by this feature. I think the SLK roof is almost perfect as it is. The only possible improvement for me would be a panorama roof option like the SL's. I am talking but if MB offered a better remote vario roof that would be covered by their warranty, I might be tempted. Go figure!
#14671 - in reply to #14444
Author
Posted 5/21/2006 11:12 AM
bmetz

I don't believe the module is to show off. If you've ever left the top up because you were worried that you might get caught in the rain on the road you should consider it. I think the idea of putting the top up and down while moving lets you enjoy the vario roof you bought. Just like Airscarf, the price may be high but if you get more top down days during bad weather you may be getting more car for your money overall. Voiding your warranty to me is the true consideration and can be thought of in many ways. For that I would suggest considering the liklihood and impact of a warranty voiding: how likely are you to need warranty repairs to the roof or electrical system, how likely is it that the module will be detected, and how much money will these two events occuring cost you over the life of the warranty?
#14688 - in reply to #14444
Author
Posted 5/21/2006 11:44 AM
Zut

bmetz - 5/21/2006 11:12 AM

I think the idea of putting the top up and down while moving lets you enjoy the vario roof you bought.

Now there is something I didn't know. This device allows the top to be operated while moving? How fast can you go? I have driven convertibles most of my adult life and I can assure you that operating the roof while the car is moving is something you only see in the movies! The wind can rip off your top in no time. With my other car (a soft-top), I couldn't drive faster than about 16kmh/10mph without risking damaging the roof mechanism. Unless the vario roof is less likely to retain the wind, operating the roof while driving is pretty risky. But if it can be done safely at reasonably high speeds, this device is great and I want to have it!
#14692 - in reply to #14688
Author
Posted 5/21/2006 11:55 AM
jbanks15

from the web site:

With the comfort-varioroof-module it is possible to open/close the roof up to a maximum speed of 50 km/h.
* The maximum speed to open/close the roof is user adjustable to any speed between 10 – 50 km/h.
* To program the maximum speed, push and hold the ”end call“ button in the steering wheel for 3 seconds while driving at the desired speed.
#14694 - in reply to #14692
Author
Posted 5/21/2006 12:19 PM
Zut

jbanks15 - 5/21/2006 11:55 AM

from the web site:

With the comfort-varioroof-module it is possible to open/close the roof up to a maximum speed of 50 km/h.
* The maximum speed to open/close the roof is user adjustable to any speed between 10 – 50 km/h.
* To program the maximum speed, push and hold the ”end call“ button in the steering wheel for 3 seconds while driving at the desired speed.

If this works like you say it does, this device should be a built-in feature of the original vario roof. I really thought this remote option was just a show-offy thing. My mistake!!! Now I want to have one too!
#14697 - in reply to #14694
Author
Posted 5/21/2006 1:29 PM
etyu

jbanks15 - 5/21/2006 3:46 AM

no phone either. have more members bought fromm xtc or piecha in your opinion? i know the units are supposed to be the same. like i said, xtc currently has it for 100 euros less at the moment.

Most of the ones I read bought theirs from PIECHA but there were at least 2 happy customers from x-t-c.com. One I know for sure is from Germany, and he bought his from Werner (x-t-c.com), who was closer to his place and who honored his military status and he was exempt from VAT (value added tax).

There are 2 reviews on the Komfort Variodach Modul on the PIECHA website. The one from Canada was also helpful.

TIP: After installing the module and you see the red and green LED lights come on, DO NOT operate the roof immediately. Take your time to clean the work area and get things ready to reassemble but not actually doing them yet. Operate the roof after perhaps 5 or 10 minutes, otherwise you will get a fault warning on the multifunction display.
#14707 - in reply to #14663
Author
Posted 5/21/2006 1:46 PM
etyu

Zut - 5/21/2006 9:19 AM

jbanks15 - 5/21/2006 11:55 AM

from the web site:

If this works like you say it does, this device should be a built-in feature of the original vario roof. I really thought this remote option was just a show-offy thing. My mistake!!! Now I want to have one too!

It works as advertised. No more no less. I bought it for utility. I don't have to push and hold the center console control lever for 22 seconds while I get things ready inside the car (with key in ignition position 2), I can lower the roof as I approach the parked vehicle, or raise the roof and lock the car at the same time as I am leaving it in the parking lot.

The IR smart key option (I elected not to get this option because of what I read in the different forums, you have to stand and aim for 22 seconds from no farther than 1.5 meters away) is almost uselss and pointless once you have this module. Check out a review by Mr. M of Canada at the PIECHA.COM website, under the Comfort Varioroof Module.

I will make it "invisible" to Star Diagnostics when I bring it in for the first 1000-3000 mile service (I have 1100 miles right now). Since I have good relations with the service advisor and service manager at the local MB dealer, I will keep quiet and see if they detect anything.

As far as warranty is concerned, those that have their car's engine modified heavily by CEC-Brabus or Klinemann know the factory warranty may not be honored.
#14715 - in reply to #14697
Author
Posted 5/21/2006 2:03 PM
etyu

I just checked both websites. x-t-c.com is selling at 289 Euros and piecha.com for 335 Euros. Shipping is of course additional charge.

I also noted a near identical picture of the same module for R230 at a much higher price at the x-t-c website.
#14721 - in reply to #14715
Author
Posted 5/21/2006 2:49 PM
jbanks15

etyu, you sure about piecha price? says 389 euros not 335. i think i would feel more comfortable ordering from the one most members ordered from. of course price is important.

http://shop.piecha.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29_53&product...
#14729 - in reply to #14721
Author
Posted 5/21/2006 2:49 PM
mcat

RonJeffries - 5/21/2006 4:07 AM

I've decided not to get one. I probably would if it didn't void the warranty, but that possibility scares me.

What makes you think I voids your warrenty? This is no different to adding an aftermarket radio or sat nav or any after market mod for that matter. To void your warrenty, they will have to show that it directly caused your issue and it is unlikely you are going to have have problem directly attributed to this.

I have bought one and I am adding it in when I pick up my car in a few weeks. I might even install it at the dealers before I drive off.
#14730 - in reply to #14522
Author
Posted 5/21/2006 2:51 PM
mcat

jbanks15 - 5/21/2006 8:49 PM

etyu, you sure about piecha price? says 389 euros not 335. i think i would feel more comfortable ordering from the one most members ordered from. of course price is important.

http://shop.piecha.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29_53&product...

When you place the order the shopping cart will automatically take off the VAT if it is being delivered outside the EU thus reducing the price to 338.

Edited by mcat 5/21/2006 2:52 PM
#14731 - in reply to #14729
Author
Posted 5/21/2006 3:57 PM
jbanks15

thanks!
#14738 - in reply to #14731
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 7:56 AM
jbanks15

Well, I ordered mine. Gotta have the latest toy i guess. Great service from marcus at piecha.com. Got the lower price too.
#14996 - in reply to #14738
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 2 12