Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Hydraulic Fluid as fuel

Page 1 of 1 1
Hydraulic Fluid as fuel
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 7:59 AM
Inkblotz
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 90 300GD "Thundering Turtle II", w/ 603A turbo
Hydraulic Fluid as fuel

I have been offered as much used but extremely clean Hydraulic Fluid as I want. I was wondering if anyone has ever used it as diesel fuel? With all the SVO, WVO and other alternative out there can Hydraulic Fluid be a viable fuel?

Thanks
Mark
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 8:01 AM
G350DT

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: Hydraulic Fluid as fuel

I have heard of a few people using it as home heating fuel, I am not sure about as a Diesel replacement. I just figured when I decided to go with a replacement fuel I wanted to use something that was as non dino fuel as I could.
Free is nice but at a cost
#14999 - in reply to #14997
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 8:25 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: Hydraulic Fluid as fuel

Inkblotz - 5/22/2006 7:59 AM

I have been offered as much used but extremely clean Hydraulic Fluid as I want. I was wondering if anyone has ever used it as diesel fuel? With all the SVO, WVO and other alternative out there can Hydraulic Fluid be a viable fuel?

Thanks
Mark

Mark,

I don't have an answer to your question; but as someone who worked on formulating and testing them in a Research Lab many moons ago, I can tell you that there are lots of additives in there to help with wear of the hydraulic components; and some of those fluids are formulated to be fire resistant. They're designated FRHF.

You probably need to actually try some to see.
#15003 - in reply to #14997
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 8:33 AM
G350DT

I did just ask someone here that was using waste oil and trans fluid and stopped. One of the reasons was that the Synthetis oil burn at a much hotter temp and he started to have overheating issues in the heater. Second is that it is red and I know where I live if they want to they can stop you and check your tank and when that stick comes out red, even though it is not off road diesel the fine here is $200 a gallon.
I would make sure to do ALLOT of research before giving it a go
Also I wonder what sort of smoking it may give off and being thinner could it wash things so clean in the engine that there is to little lubrication
Thus my $.02
#15004 - in reply to #14997
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 1:46 PM
Braingears
Expert

Vehicle(s): G320 & ML320

I am pretty sure that Hydraulic Fluid is formulated a lot closer to ATF than Diesel. I know that you can mix it with your diesel fuel, but do not know what the best ratio would be for long term use.
We used to add a quart of ATF to Diesel as an additive. It keeps the injection pump clean, and the seals stay healthy too (less brittle).
#15046 - in reply to #14997
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 1:58 PM
Inkblotz
Expert

HHHHHMMMMMM. thanks for all the input guys.

Dutch do you think that the non flammable elements will just be expelled out the exhaust or do you think it would line and perhaps damage my cyclinders and FI pump? I would think that it would pump out a lot of smoke as 230G suggested.

Chuck what were the benefits of adding ATF to Diesel?

Additionally I understand that HF is very combustible. Does it have a higher rating than SVO?

Keep the comments coming.

thanks
Mark
#15048 - in reply to #14997
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 2:23 PM
Braingears
Expert

The ATF helps clean out the buildup and grime in the injectors and the injector pump. The ATF also helps that rubber seals (in the injection pump) swell up and soften again. This makes the seals less brittle and reduces the amount of leaks.
Many of the things that ATF is supposed to do for the transmission, it also helps in the injection pump.
I was always told to use the really cheap stuff without all of the detergents.
I do not know how higher quantities would effect the engine. Other than the temperature issues or possible smoking, I do not see why you couldn't. I can't see it gumming up or anything like that.

Perhaps you can perform a benchmark test. You could always find an old VW rabbit. Start with a 5% mixture and slowly work your way up...
I'm sure that there are plenty of people who are running Bio-Diesel that would volunteer.
#15062 - in reply to #14997
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 9:58 PM
Inkblotz
Expert

Will see what I can rig for a test.

Thanks for all the input.
Mark
#15215 - in reply to #14997
Author
Posted 5/23/2006 10:43 AM
G350DT

Being a person that can not sleep more then a few hours a night I have been working on building some 2 cylinder model diesel engines for WVO testing and the such. I have a run of 8 as with the shop in my basement making jigs for one is like making jigs for 8 or more. Once I have them done I will give a test on HF and see if there are any issues.
My plan is to run them for 8 hours a day in a test shed I set up outside and check what is going on about every 100 hours. I have seen so many reports on bio, wvo and all that saying it is good it is bad I think that no one has given a complete impartial report. I read one report that said bio and WVO are a huge no no or the cost is not worth the results (making a Bio plant would cost billions and the money would never be recovered and the current $3.xx dino diesel price) from the findings of University of whoever. Once researching more into the project and the results I read that the whole thing was sponsord by Exxon...
I bet is Crisco sponsord the study then it would of been the other way
I have put 500 miles on my ford F250 running 100% WVO because I decided what the hell it is old and beat up if it dies then I will leave it where it sets haha.
My brother is running a 5 to 1 WVO and K1 Kero in all his construction equiptment and not only does it work well but on a big site the odor of Diesel is not a factor any more.
I have also called on the state government to offer tax breaks for people doing alt fuel processing and using it. By law in Delaware I have to pay $.48 a gallon that I use..
#15351 - in reply to #14997
Author
Posted 5/23/2006 11:53 AM
Inkblotz
Expert

Thanks much for the offer. Sounds like youv'e got a good test group. I am anxious to see what your findings are.

Mark
#15375 - in reply to #14997
Author
Posted 5/23/2006 5:54 PM
Braingears
Expert

I have also called on the state government to offer tax breaks for people doing alt fuel processing and using it. By law in Delaware I have to pay $.48 a gallon that I use..

That is hilarious!

#15504 - in reply to #15351
Author
Posted 5/24/2006 7:55 AM
G350DT

I have petitioned the local government to change this. In Delaware if you switch to Solar power the gov. is offering a 50% of the total cost as a grant and another 25% of the cost in tax breaks. Seems unfair to me.
I would rather see farmers make "banner profits" then the big oil companies!!!!
#15605 - in reply to #14997
Author
Posted 5/24/2006 9:47 AM
Braingears
Expert

I would not tell them squat...
#15623 - in reply to #14997
Author
Posted 5/24/2006 9:59 AM
G350DT

I agree but if for any reason they find out, yea chances are slim, they concider it tax evasion. Not a good thing
#15627 - in reply to #14997
Author
Posted 5/24/2006 4:15 PM
Braingears
Expert

230G - 5/24/2006 9:59 AM I agree but if for any reason they find out, yea chances are slim, they concider it tax evasion. Not a good thing

You are not selling the product, nor collecting revenues in which to tax from.

I bet if you ask then the same question, they will try to tax you for Bio-Diesel too. There is vertually no difference in what you are doing with Bio-Diesel and Hydrolic Fluid from a State and/or tax standpoint...

#15731 - in reply to #15627
Author
Posted 5/25/2006 8:57 AM
G350DT

In Delaware any fuel that is used on the road is to be taxed, they want to make money either way. Mind you it is for road maintenance. HA our roads here suck and they are spending all their money on new unnedded roads that are so over priced that no woner Delaware is in the red by 14M well into 2010. They just redid an intersection near me and added on and off ramps to a 2 lane each way road, 12M
I think it is time to look into that spending...
Aslo what pisses me off is at least here in Delaware gas last weekend was down to about 2.80s as the holiday weekend nears the gas is now over $3
No changes in oil no shortage just the old hey people want to drive lest suck even more out of them...
OK I could go on but will not
#15941 - in reply to #14997
Author
Posted 5/25/2006 9:35 AM
Braingears
Expert

So if you are running the same risk whether you are running BioDiesel, VeggieOil, or Hydrolic Fluid. I would not worry about it much unless you are leaving a smoke trail marking your exact location...
#15949 - in reply to #14997
Author
Posted 5/26/2006 7:33 PM
Pgreen

I have now run my 84 300gd some 3k miles on straight WVO with great results, I dont see how it is not cost effective, I also am running a 89 cummins, dodge PU on 75% wvo+25% diesel for about 4k miles, 110 miles a day, cold starts at 45*, it shakes a bit till warm though,
I am here in PA, and the feds want 30 cents a gallon for each gallon of waste oil that i use,
home heating oil is #2 oil, so is diesel, They are the same thing, But the HHoil is not road taxed, The guy whom i bought the dodge diesel from has been running the truck as well as all his farm equip on HHoil for 10+ years in NJ.
Well good luck in your quest of alternative fuels!!!
I will stick to the WVO
I have a great supplier, I can usually gey some 80+ gals through 1 5micron bag before it takes 12 hours to filter 5 gallons!
Peter B
#16635 - in reply to #14997
Author
Posted 7/4/2006 5:09 AM
frank_be
Veteran

Vehicle(s): G350 Turbo

Inkblotz - 5/21/2006 1:59 PM I have been offered as much used but extremely clean Hydraulic Fluid as I want. I was wondering if anyone has ever used it as diesel fuel? With all the SVO, WVO and other alternative out there can Hydraulic Fluid be a viable fuel? Thanks Mark

Just be careful using this oil as a fuel; if the burning caloric value of this oil is greater than diesel,there will be greater burning temperatures inside your engine. This can result in cracked pre-burning chambers (if present) and cracked pistons. The same can happen if engine oil is getting mixed inside the fuelpump or the diesel-injection pump due to internal leaks. Then these problems will also eventually occur. I once read something about this in a LandRover engine manual and a Mercedes OM617-engine manual.

Greetings,

Frank 

#28685 - in reply to #14997
Author
Posted 7/4/2006 6:55 AM
Inkblotz
Expert

Thanks Frank

Even though I can get it for free I don't think it is worth the risk.

Mark
#28711 - in reply to #14997
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1