Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Transmission problem ? need your advice

Page 1 of 1 1
Transmission problem ? need your advice
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 8:57 PM
MADSLEG

Date registered: Dec 1899
Transmission problem ? need your advice

Today on the way to work i had to push my gas all the way down and its look like its stock in 1st gear and no torque.Went up to 5K rpms then i release the gas a little bit and it shift to 2nd 3rd .... Usually i am easy on gas but sometimes when you have to speed up it used to downshift ,speed up and then go back to 5th gear.Now when i am trying to speed up its downshift but nothing happened rpms goes up but no torque.If i am easy on gas everything fine,no warning lights came up either.
Anyone have a clue WTF is going on ???
Yesterday i change my dust filter but i dont think its related to shifting or torque
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 9:36 PM
roadsession

RE: Transmission problem ? need your advice

MADSLEG - 5/22/2006 8:57 PM

Today on the way to work i had to push my gas all the way down and its look like its stock in 1st gear and no torque.Went up to 5K rpms then i release the gas a little bit and it shift to 2nd 3rd .... Usually i am easy on gas but sometimes when you have to speed up it used to downshift ,speed up and then go back to 5th gear.Now when i am trying to speed up its downshift but nothing happened rpms goes up but no torque.If i am easy on gas everything fine,no warning lights came up either.
Anyone have a clue WTF is going on ???
Yesterday i change my dust filter but i dont think its related to shifting or torque

You have to have your transmission fluid replaced if you haven't done so every 60K miles or 4 years whichever comes first....I had the same issue and it was resolved with transmission fluid, cooling lines, and filter change.
#15207 - in reply to #15197
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 10:56 PM
MADSLEG

i have 1998 ML with 60 K on it
i hope its help
I was sure transmission have to be sealed till 100K
#15242 - in reply to #15197
Author
Posted 5/22/2006 11:32 PM
AndrewAZ

Re: Transmission problem ? need your advice

The RPM's go up but the power eventually comes doesn't it? It seems to be normal on all ML's that if you floor it the car will downshift and your RPM will rise followed by the car getting power. My theory is it is working like a MT say you are in 4th gear and want to go to 2nd well you put the clutch in move it to 2nd gear you can put some gas to raise the RPM (rev matching AKA blipping the throttle) and your RPM will shoot up you let the clutch out and you are matched perfectly and have power. It might work different in the auto trany but I think something along that line is happening since it does it in both ML's I have had.
#15254 - in reply to #15197
Author
Posted 5/23/2006 8:12 AM
phoenix44

Well, if it is not as simple as a fluid change, it could either be an issue with the valve body of the trany or the torque converter.........Let's hope it is just a fluid change.
#15323 - in reply to #15197
Author
Posted 5/23/2006 12:36 PM
pleubner

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): ML270CDI Brabus-W163,SL55 AMG-R230,ML320 CDI-W164

... and definately do it every 60'000 KM's (not miles) .... If you value your tansmission!!!!! 

as roadsession said .... while you are at it you might as well change the filter.

I wouldn't change the oil cooler lines, but I would first test the vehicle with the new fluid , then if it persists you can always remove the fluid (re-use again later) , and replace the cooler line then!. (Definiately use that filter funnel to pour in the oil)

#15381 - in reply to #15242
Author
Posted 5/23/2006 2:49 PM
MADSLEG

Now
transmissin fluids and filter change-is this DIY job or i have to deal with dealer ?
#15428 - in reply to #15197
Author
Posted 5/23/2006 3:38 PM
pleubner

MADSLEG,

I posted in a seperate thread

http://www.pointedthree.com/disc/forums/showthread.php?tid=1874&posts=6&start=1

#15448 - in reply to #15197
Author
Posted 5/23/2006 4:04 PM
roadsession

MADSLEG - 5/23/2006 2:49 PM

Now
transmissin fluids and filter change-is this DIY job or i have to deal with dealer ?

Dealer in my opinion...
#15457 - in reply to #15428
Author
Posted 5/23/2006 11:35 PM
JohnL

roadsession - 5/23/2006 1:04 PM
MADSLEG - 5/23/2006 2:49 PM Now transmission fluids and filter change-is this DIY job or I have to deal with dealer ?
Dealer in my opinion...

I had the dealer do mine.  Don't forget to get the magnet for the oil pan.

#15560 - in reply to #15457
Author
Posted 5/25/2006 4:56 PM
Noodles

MADSLEG - 5/23/2006 1:49 PM

Now

I am sorry to hear of yet another transmission issue. I would have a dealer do it unless
you have access to the tools and a pyrometer.
Ask the dealer if you can se the fluid removed. That will tell a lot. My so called sealed
for life unit had silver glop for fluid when it failed and was then drained.

If it is a minor fix for you then like Peter said never go past about 40k miles for a fluid
change. The $250-$300 is a lot cheaper than a $6000-7000 transmission.
Recently I bumped into a 98 ML owner at the gas pump. (they are rare in farm country)
and told the driver of my woes with a transmission. Her husband called me that night
and they owned it since new. He was also under the impression that the truck could
go to 100k miles before doing a change. After a chat he immediatley scheduled an appt
with a dealer. Once it was done he called me to tell me how much smoother the shifting is.
#16124 - in reply to #15428
Author
Posted 5/25/2006 6:07 PM
pleubner

MADSLEG,

I did forget to mention that for the transmission filter (you can see this in my other thread) , you need to take off the pan. Don't worry about weather you should do this or not since the bolts on the later transmission pans have a "spacer" so that you can't tighten them too much. This means there is no need to measure the NM applied, ... just tighten very firmly..... and when you have the pan off ... PUT A MAGNET INTO IT ! ... see the WIS for the position!

... so to sum things up :-

-------------------------------------------------------

1. remove the plug and let of the fluid

2. remove the pan

3. replace the filter (is just pushed on ... so you can pull it off)

4. put a magnet in the pan

5. replace the pan

6. refill oil

7 run engine until transmission is hot

8. check level (top up if necessary)

-----------------------

... have a nice Day!

(magnet.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments magnet.jpg (31KB - 4 downloads)
#16177 - in reply to #16124
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1