Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : SRS light Seat Occupancy Sensor

Page 1 of 1 1
SRS light Seat Occupancy Sensor
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 10/9/2011 3:31 PM
trendbuck
New user

Date registered: Oct 2011

SRS light Seat Occupancy Sensor

I have the dreaded SRS light on. I have had the fault diagnosed by mercedes dealer as the occupancy sensor in the passenger seat. Of course they want in excess of $1000 to repair. I searched the net and found an Occupancy sensor emulator. But unfortunately this did not work. Still in discussions with supplier but i dont hold much hope for it being resolved. What i did find however was that there is a fuse in the drivers foot well (fuse #1) which is labelled as "Airbag off indicator light" or similar. There is also an Air bag fuse in the engine compartment. I removed the F1 fuse and hey the srs light is no longer on. My question is does this fuse do what it says it does(ie turn off the light) or does it it turn off the airbags as well. I am thinking and wishing that it does just turn off the lights as there is another fuse in the engine compartment that says "airbags" specifically. I have searched the net for an answer but there are no schematics or detailed description about this F1 fuse.
Anyone got some ideas or knowledge on this?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 10/10/2011 10:27 AM
fernweh

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): Few Mercedes-Benz, a Toyota Amphibious and a Vespa
RE: SRS light Seat Occupancy Sensor

Even if the take out the SRS light with a hammer, the underlying fault will still exist.

That fault will probably prevent the airbag system from operating correctly.

I just had a similar situation with a E Class car, the passenger airbag sensor got replaced and the fault cleared. I do not think the sensor was that expensive, but the seat and carpet had to be removed - a few hours of work.

You need to have a Star Diagnose system to reset/clear the airbag ECU.

Karl
#195562 - in reply to #195533
Author
Posted 10/17/2011 4:48 AM
brusby
New user

Date registered: Oct 2011

RE: SRS light Seat Occupancy Sensor

Hi, this is my first post on this very nice forum. Thanks everyone for all the great info.

I bought my first MB a few days ago, an '05 ML350, W163. Love it! Everything seems to be working fine except the yellow airbag light which remained on. After reading a few posts about it here I decided to check the connection(s) under the seat. So, I moved the passenger seat forward and found a plastic connector located underneath near the rear, curb side. It pulled apart with not too much effort and then I just pushed it back together. I know that sometimes contacts can oxidize over time and fail to pass signal properly. Often just making and breaking the connection a few times can clean things enough to fix the problem.

Anyway, the next time I started the car the light was out. Keeping fingers crossed.

I have noticed there are several people selling seat sensor emulators. If they work as advertised they shouldn't affect the airbag function. In fact, seems it would be much safer using one of them than driving with the airbag disabled due to the hight cost of repair.

#195858 - in reply to #195562
Author
Posted 1/11/2012 6:09 PM
JoeFerro
New user

Date registered: Jan 2009
Vehicle(s): 2000 ML 320

Re: SRS light Seat Occupancy Sensor

I purchased an OEM Baby Smart Sensor Pad from MB of Annapolis for about $225 shipped. Took the seat out and apart myself then took the seat bottom and sensor to a upholstery shop for the hog ring part. That cost $20.00. 2 hour job start to finish. 2000 ml320
#198954 - in reply to #195533
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1