Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : How much would you pay for a diesel G..for 07/08

Page 2 of 2 12
How much would you pay for a diesel G..for 07/08
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/26/2006 7:03 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
Blue Tec Urea Tank

Ed Mclass - 5/26/2006 7:00 AM

Duthch makes a good point. Who wants to go back to get the truck urea tank refilled? As I understand it, the truck runs just fine without it. So the question is who keeps up with whether it is filled or not? The STAR story does an excelent job explaining how his system works.

There is apparantly a "safety" interlock. Empty Urea tank = No Start; although there is some sort of overide that allows you to keep on going, if you run out while driving.
#16482 - in reply to #16481
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/26/2006 9:04 AM
mb230s

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G-less for now, vintage MBs, FJ40
Re: How much would you pay for a diesel G..for 07/08

The Urea concept still isn't certain. I doubt they will go that route. I think MB (and other automakers) should take a stand against Cali emmissions and the other states that adopt whatever Cali does. Sell the reliable, proved, powerful CDI diesel "as is" in 45 States. With better diesel, the partical trap, and better fuel economy the engine would be environmentally friendly and user friendly. California consumers who want one would be outraged, they need to work to improve the laws in their state. The automakers could collectively organize a group to inform and organize consumers and hire people to lobby in these states. I don't know why the rest of us have to suffer and pay more.

It also baffles me that most emmissions only care what comes out of the tailpipe. What if you could get a 20% increase in fuel economy but suffer a bit in tailpipe emmissions? From sucking the gas out of the ground, to transporting the crude, to refining the crude, to transporting the refined product, etc, etc....... there is pollution every step of the way. A more efficient vehicle will reduce the supply chain emmissions and our need for crude.

I'm off my soap box.....

I would buy a diesel G if the engine doesn't have all the BlueTec stuff I read about in the Star AND there is a significant improvement in fuel economy while still having good performance. As far as options.... I want most conventional power accessories (they can ditch the power headrest) and a nice interior. It doesn't have to be leather, the MBTex is very nice and durable. I don't care about Park-Tronic or most of that garbage. If you can't back up safely you shouldn't be driving. The 18" tire selection has improved so I'd be happy with 18" or 16" rims. Running boards should be an option, which I wouldn't select. Same with all the chrome, lamp guards, and grill guard bling. The current headlights are great, I don't see the need for Xenons. I would probably get navigation. I thought it was silly at first, but have grown to appreciate the few times I use it. Price - depends on options. I'd gladly consider the product in the $60-70K range. I expect it will be higher.

Edited by mb230s 5/26/2006 9:08 AM
#16497 - in reply to #15747
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 2 of 2 12