Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : air filter box unlocks by itself... or not

Page 1 of 1 1
air filter box unlocks by itself... or not
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/24/2006 9:51 PM
Mklasse

Date registered: Dec 1899
air filter box unlocks by itself... or not

I was going to wash my car today, popped the trunk, and I find the air filter box has opened and shifted a little bit, showing the air filter inside a bit.. and the locks are unlocked. Few days ago, i popped the trunk, but it wasn't shifted yet (i didn't check the locks).. I wonder, since the locks are impossible to open by themself (am i right?), maybe the stealership didn't lock them the last time i have my car in there? Is this going to affect to the engine? I hope not...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/24/2006 10:12 PM
MADSLEG

RE: air filter box unlocks by itself... or not

i bet its a stealership
There is noway 5 or 6 clipses will unlock
its not that easy to do even with your fingers
#15842 - in reply to #15829
Author
Posted 5/25/2006 2:48 AM
AndrewAZ

MADSLEG - 5/24/2006 7:12 PM

i bet its a stealership
There is noway 5 or 6 clipses will unlock
its not that easy to do even with your fingers :Redface:

yea I was going to say they are very very hard to unclip sometimes almost impossible.
#15902 - in reply to #15842
Author
Posted 5/25/2006 4:14 AM
Mklasse

I just hope this won't affect the engine or any other components. I was surprised to find those box slightly open this morning..  I think it's time that i get my car serviced at independent MB service station.. from what I heard, they have more updated software than the stealership, better QC, and cheaper too. We'll see..  
#15909 - in reply to #15829
Author
Posted 5/25/2006 4:26 AM
Marcelc

Mklasse - 5/25/2006 9:14 AMI just hope this won't affect the engine or any other components. I was surprised to find those box slightly open this morning..  I think it's time that i get my car serviced at independent MB service station.. from what I heard, they have more updated software than the stealership, better QC, and cheaper too. We'll see..  

I still prefer the dealership because, they do, particularly if reminded, do various recalls and other free work, e.g. checking that the alternator is not on the recall list as it is in my case, etc.

Independants do only what you pay them to.

However, I always open the bonnet after visiting the dealership and check thoroughly every item they have claimed to have worked on and I check everything else!

As far as recalls go I must say I am indebted to this, and other, forums and particularly Wolfgang for the information which he gives us about recalls, etc., this is very useful when talking to the SA as it identifies me as a customer who is that much harder to fob off.

The other thing that works in favour of the dealership in the UK is that, if the vehicle is regularly serviced by a dealership, I can claim free roadside assistance and recovery within the hour all over Europe; sadly this has been handy and it is handy for my wife's A-Class when she is out at night.
#15912 - in reply to #15909
Author
Posted 5/25/2006 7:12 AM
ttaleric

Re: air filter box unlocks by itself... or not

^ The dealership around here will suck you dry if you let them. I prefer to only let them do recall work.

Those clips on the airbox should not just pop open, they are a PITA just to get open when you need it to. It is good that you saw it.
#15930 - in reply to #15829
Author
Posted 5/25/2006 12:31 PM
questwest

Mklasse - 5/24/2006 9:51 PM

I was going to wash my car today, popped the trunk, and I find the air filter box has opened and shifted a little bit, showing the air filter inside a bit.. and the locks are unlocked. Few days ago, i popped the trunk, but it wasn't shifted yet (i didn't check the locks).. I wonder, since the locks are impossible to open by themself (am i right?), maybe the stealership didn't lock them the last time i have my car in there? Is this going to affect to the engine? I hope not...

Why is your airbox in the trunk?
#16000 - in reply to #15829
Author
Posted 5/25/2006 12:40 PM
Mklasse

questwest - 5/25/2006 11:31 PM
Mklasse - 5/24/2006 9:51 PM

Why is your airbox in the trunk?

It's one of a kind, special order just for me!   

Nah.. sorry, i meant the hood.. my bad. I guess I was too "shocked" seeing what i saw, I thought someone was trying to sabotage my car.. haha :P

#16004 - in reply to #16000
Author
Posted 5/25/2006 12:58 PM
Mklasse

Marcelc - 5/25/2006 3:26 PM ... However, I always open the bonnet after visiting the dealership and check thoroughly every item they have claimed to have worked on and I check everything else! ...

I should do that from now on.. they didn't replace the air filter, but they did told me the air filter needs to be replace in the next oil change. I actually popped the hood about 3-4 days ago, and everything looked fine.. i didn't check the airbox locks cause it was still in place and i didn't suspect the locks are unlocked.  

#16013 - in reply to #15912
Author
Posted 5/25/2006 5:01 PM
Noodles

How many miles have elapsed since it was at the dealer where it might have been left loose?
#16126 - in reply to #16013
Author
Posted 5/25/2006 9:42 PM
Mklasse

Noodles - 5/26/2006 4:01 AM How many miles have elapsed since it was at the dealer where it might have been left loose?

around 1,000km.. so about 620ish miles, no engine lights or strange noise..

#16252 - in reply to #16126
Author
Posted 5/25/2006 11:12 PM
Noodles

Unless you drove in unusaully dusty or sandy conditions I don't think much harm if any could have taken place. If you said 5000 miles I would be concerned
#16365 - in reply to #15829
Author
Posted 5/26/2006 4:18 AM
Mklasse

Noodles - 5/26/2006 10:12 AM Unless you drove in unusaully dusty or sandy conditions I don't think much harm if any could have taken place. If you said 5000 miles I would be concerned

I just drove it around the city and highway for around 620 miles.. so i guess i'm ok eh?  if i drove around in unsually dusty area, what should have been done/cleaned?

#16470 - in reply to #16365
Author
Posted 5/27/2006 2:54 AM
Noodles

It could have let sand and grit actually score the cylinder walls. Not a good thing.
Also the MAF would have been affected. Intake valves and seats are also on the list.

It is a good thing you caught it so soon.
#16767 - in reply to #15829
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1