Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Ran out of gas......

Page 1 of 1 1
Ran out of gas......
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/26/2006 9:47 PM
phoenix44

Date registered: Dec 1899
Ran out of gas......

Well, it could have been worse, I had gone to the local country store, about 5 miles away. I had a bit of a hard time starting the truck when I left the store, thought it might have been a bit of bad gas. On the way home I punched the gas a few times, was runnig fine.

Got home no problem. Later I went out to park the ML in the garage, would not start....I started thinking Harmonic balancer. Trip computer said I still had 80kms left...Hmmm. I happended to have some High test in my garage for the boat, so WTF, I put 5 gal. of gas in, and....started no problem....Lucky me!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/26/2006 11:45 PM
ttaleric

Re: Ran out of gas......

^ LOL!! lucky you!
#16731 - in reply to #16685
Author
Posted 5/27/2006 7:29 AM
pleubner

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): ML270CDI Brabus-W163,SL55 AMG-R230,ML320 CDI-W164

...LOL, That's almost as good as the stories on BW a long time ago. The subject was something like "what is the most stupid thing you did with your ML" .... anyway this member tried to transport a Mattress on his roof wihtout securing it .. of course it blew away ! and on the freeway too! ....

I might as well pitch in here too!   

Quite a while back I was working in Munich, Germany  for "Oracle" , but living in Basel, Switzerland

..... I had to drive 550Km one way (1100km round trip) each week home for the weekend.

As per usual heaps of work ... working almost to 3-4 am on fridays....

Now for the background information:  

I owned a Diesel W210 Estate Avantagarde 290T at the time.

In Switzerland all Diesel pumps had "black" plastic grip handles! Petrol has "Green" grip handles.

Now for the story:

One Friday night at 5.00am I had to stop on my way back  roadside stop on the autobahn (petrol + 5-6 expresso's) ....

Being in a half zombie frame of mind I grabbed the black handle of the pump and filled her up! payed for the pleasure, and followed up with the dose of expresso coffee.

Got back into the car drove about 400m before the damm thing spluttered and died on the autobahn.

For the life of me couldn't figure out what was wrong .. called roadside assistance who very quickly found out I had poured petrol instead of diesel into the tank... we had to transport (on the back of a truck) my car to the nearest (Augsburg) MB Dealership , and drain all the petrol out... after filling up on diesel , it ran perfectly again.....

That's when I learnt 2 things :-

1. Not all black grip handles in Germany are for Diesel. (and it is best to always double check ... even in a state of delirium )

2. Only CDI engines get blown up if you fill them with petrol . The older Turbo Diesels just need the petrol to be replaced with diesel ....

I GUESS YOU COULD SUM THIS UP AS RUNNING OUT OF THE "REAL" GAS !

#16803 - in reply to #16731
Author
Posted 5/31/2006 2:32 PM
rudeney

When I worked at the dealership, we had a car run out if gas at least once a week. It was never a big deal; they just needed some good driving to clear all the air put of the fuel lines, filter, and injectors. One of the worst ones was an S500 that seemed to take forever to get “back in sync”. Oh, and then there was the CLK500 that was somehow “lost” on the back lot for over a year. The gasoline in the tank was in pretty bad shape, and I had to drive it around for several days to get it running again.

Now, since Peter had to add his bone-headed mistake, I’ll add mine. I was adding onto my deck and had purchased 16’ long 2x10’s. I was loading them in the ML, letting them rest on the front passenger-side dash (carefully- with a large towel to protect the windshield and dash) and hand out the open tailgate. Anyhow, as I carefully loaded the last of four boards into the truck. I heard this creaking noise and looked up to see a huge crack slowly propagating across my windshield. Apparently, there was a stable on the end of one of the boards and even though the towel was there to protect against it, the staple put just enough pointed pressure on the glass to crack it. Counting a $500 windshield, that was some expensive lumber!
#17976 - in reply to #16685
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1