Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Unusual problem?

Page 1 of 1 1
Unusual problem?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/26/2006 11:59 PM
AsianML

Date registered: Dec 1899
Unusual problem?

Whenever I close the doors of the ML, it feels like there is an uneven amount of air pressure between the inside and outside. It takes quite some effort to close the doors. It's kind of like trying to close the doors on a room with air blowing inside, and it has no where else to go.

Whenever the windows are open, it closes with ease. Sheesh, the Grand Caravan never does this.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/27/2006 12:22 AM
AndrewAZ

RE: Unusual problem?

AsianML - 5/26/2006 8:59 PM

Whenever I close the doors of the ML, it feels like there is an uneven amount of air pressure between the inside and outside. It takes quite some effort to close the doors. It's kind of like trying to close the doors on a room with air blowing inside, and it has no where else to go.

Whenever the windows are open, it closes with ease. Sheesh, the Grand Caravan never does this.

You answered your own question. Yes unequal pressure because the cabin seals are tight vs the grand carvan and other lesser built cars "leak" air. In coupes like the CLK, CL, CLS, and BMW ext. the window goes down slightly when the car door is opened and returns back up after the door is shut to not only make it easier to shut the door but it also makes the cabin more air tight.
#16747 - in reply to #16734
Author
Posted 5/27/2006 12:23 AM
AsianML

Re: Unusual problem?

Yeesh, what a pain the ass. I'm leaving the windows open a bit next time, it's summer too anyway.
#16748 - in reply to #16747
Author
Posted 5/27/2006 1:39 AM
1996_S500

AsianML - 5/26/2006 9:23 PM

Yeesh, what a pain the ass. I'm leaving the windows open a bit next time, it's summer too anyway.

hope you've got $$$ for gas. I can't afford to put my windows down. Screws up the gas mileage.
#16756 - in reply to #16748
Author
Posted 5/31/2006 2:20 PM
rudeney

Actually, in most modern cars, the cabin is vented so that the pressure created when closing a door does interfere. In the ML, these vents are in the rear quarter panel, behind the bumper, below the CD changer and tire jack. Make sure you haven’t stored something there that is obstructing the vent. If not, then it may just be tight “new” door seals that are causing the issue and as the vehicle ages, these rubber seals will relax some. If it’s only happening when closing some of the doors, they could just be out of adjustment and closing too tightly.

As for the windows on the CLK, CLS, SL, etc. that raise and lower themselves as the doors are opened and closed, that is necessary due to the design of the window frames. On the ML, the window frame and it seal channel is part of the door, but on those other cars with “frameless” windows, the seal is attached to the body. In order for the windows to have a tight seal when fully closed, they have to fit into a channel in the frame. With the glass in that channel, it would be very difficult to open the door, so they lower slightly to clear the seal’s lip. When the door is closed, the window lifts back into the channel to seal tightly. Of course if the vehicle battery dies, the windows won’t do this, which makes the doors hard to open, and then when you close them, the glass will sit outside the channel and not seal completely.
#17975 - in reply to #16734
Author
Posted 5/31/2006 3:54 PM
AsianML

Thanks rudeney, I'll check that out those vents.
#17997 - in reply to #16734
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1