Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Fails on Start Up

Page 1 of 1 1
Fails on Start Up
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/29/2006 5:23 PM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 280GE SWB, Toyota Highlander, BMW530i, RR HSE
Fails on Start Up

I have a 1982 280GE automatic. This morning at the storage facility when I started up my G, it was alright. After parking it on the side to put my Land Rover into the storage unit, I came back to start my G. The starting failed. I put the automatic shifter into Neutral and cranking was going on. My fuel light is on; but I still have 1/4 tank of fuel. I put in another half gal of gas.

I managed to drive it a short distance and then my G stalled on the middle of the road. Good job traffic was very light. Someone was nice enough to help me push my G to a nearby church parking lot. When I repeatedly put my key into the ignition and turned the key, my G would start up again after a lot of hesitation and then die. This time the starting up was with the shifter on Park.

Finally, I had the G towed to a Mercedes service and repair place. Does anyone know what the issue could be?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/29/2006 6:04 PM
nadd
Expert

Vehicle(s): G500 2016 LHD, numerous Chevys
Re: Fails on Start Up

Not much experience with 460s, but from the description it sounds like a fuel problem? Try and diagnose the following (easier said than done!):
Fuel pump
Fuel filter (needs regular changing)
Fuel tank (clean, dirty, rusted? This happens with storage)

Good luck with it. If you have another G to play with you could try exchanging parts.
#17353 - in reply to #17330
Author
Posted 5/29/2006 7:04 PM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the assistance. I am thinking it is a combination of the fuel filter and tank. I had a new fuel pump replaced in 2002--this according to records from the previous owner, who would only use the G in the summer time at his estate in The Hamptons. Robert at Sherwood Imports suggested service on fuel pump, filter, and tank. Thanks again.
#17365 - in reply to #17330
Author
Posted 5/29/2006 7:18 PM
Iver460
Veteran

Vehicle(s): '82 300 GD STT Cab (two other Gs in family)
RE: Fails on Start Up

I have experienced on my 300 GD and my familys 280 GE that while my fuel gauge lives its own life my fuel light is trustworthy.
I've driven them empty on a few occacions and I've found out that 3-4 gallons is needed to get them running again, ofcorse after swearing, trying to bleed the diesel with no result and cranking the starter, running rough for a while and then die.

Worth checking, these simple things had me going for a while
#17367 - in reply to #17330
Author
Posted 5/29/2006 7:26 PM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Iver460,

Really? Like I said in the beginning, I only put in half a gal of gas this morning. So you need 3 to 4 gals, huh? Normally, I do not wait and go ahead and fill up once fuel indicator light comes on. I was being too frugal I guess because this weekend in the States is a huge public holiday--Memorial Day. The gasoline stations traditionally jack up their prices this weekend to take advantage of the vacationers.

Thanks again for the advice. Also I will remember to not be so frugal next time on gas and to just go ahead and fill it up.
#17369 - in reply to #17330
Author
Posted 5/29/2006 8:37 PM
sluggoG

Date registered: Dec 1899

Is this a blue G with a little rust around the trim on the driver's side? Is it from South Hampton, and did you perchance, acquire it from ebay?
Last fall I flew up to Long Island to look at a G at an import auto place (I cannot remeber the name, but it had a lot of old MB's and it was in south Hampton).

It stalled several times during the test drive, I finally left it on the side of the road and walked back to the dealer where I got my rental car and went back to the airport.
#17380 - in reply to #17330
Author
Posted 5/29/2006 8:55 PM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

No, this is a burgundy/maroon 280G. No, not a blue one. No rust around the trim. In fact only rust is on driver's side hood-mounted indicator (left turn) light. But it was an eBay purchase listed out of Sag Harbor. The place you probably went to was Aventura in Southampton--over priced Gs and many other old MBs.
Sounds like you did the right thing.

#17381 - in reply to #17330
Author
Posted 5/30/2006 7:24 PM
sluggoG

Date registered: Dec 1899

yes! it was aventura. It was touted as being mint. odd, the offer to refund my airfare if "vehcile was not as described" was not offered when I walked back to the dealership.
Live and learn!
#17719 - in reply to #17330
Author
Posted 5/31/2006 6:00 AM
roughneck
Expert

Vehicle(s): 270 cdi.300 GD 300 GE.lwb 300 GE.swb. Disco 2
RE: Fails on Start Up

IMEx Add more than 5 gall fuel. if this doesnt work,clean out your tank by removing the drain plug change the fuel pump accumulator and the filter and it should be ok, when you store it ensure there is fuel in the system then the components won't rust internally,
#17870 - in reply to #17330
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1