Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/29/2006 5:30 PM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 280GE SWB, Toyota Highlander, BMW530i, RR HSE
Brake Problem

In addition to my problems starting up my 1982 280GE automatic, I noticed on Thursday, 5/25, I had to push the brake pedal all the way to the floor to stop. Sometimes the only way to stop was to put on my emergency/park brake. There was no firmness when I broke. By the way, I ran a red light.

The rotors and pads look okay. There seems to be ample brake fluid. Brake pedal springs back when I let my foot off. I noticed in addition to the square brake resevoir, there is another compartment shaped like a round bottle that says "Brake fluid only" that was bone dry or empty. It sits to the right of the square brake resevoir. What could be my problem?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/29/2006 5:51 PM
G4Garret
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2000 G500, U1100, SLK350, LR 101, WC-63 6x6
Re: Brake Problem

You need an expert on the 460 here. I'm not. However, my non-expert feeling is that the other small resevoir is for the clutch. As for the loss of brakes, I'd only be guessing, but since you've got discs on the front, I'd say your got air in the lines, a bad master cylinder, bad hoses, a leak somewhere or a combination of these. Lots of possibilities. Now, since you have rear drums, they could be contributing thier own unique problems too.

Sorry, I'm not much help, but there are a lot of possibilities, and more data would help. How do they work when you pump them up? when they failed, did you pump? did they feel spongy or did they get rock hard and work? Did you have to stand on them? Is there any sign of fluid leakage? at the wheel calipers on front? at the rear drum cylinders? is there fluind leaking out around the master cylinder?

Garret
#17346 - in reply to #17334
Author
Posted 5/29/2006 6:33 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: Brake Problem

gwagen460swb - 5/29/2006 5:30 PM

In addition to my problems starting up my 1982 280GE automatic, I noticed on Thursday, 5/25, I had to push the brake pedal all the way to the floor to stop. Sometimes the only way to stop was to put on my emergency/park brake. There was no firmness when I broke. By the way, I ran a red light.

The rotors and pads look okay. There seems to be ample brake fluid. Brake pedal springs back when I let my foot off. I noticed in addition to the square brake resevoir, there is another compartment shaped like a round bottle that says "Brake fluid only" that was bone dry or empty. It sits to the right of the square brake resevoir. What could be my problem?

The small round reservoir is for the diff locks. Just like on the 463's.

When's the last time you bled your brakes? It could be a master cylinder. There are rebuild kits available.

Is there any chance that your brakes and non-running engine problems could be related? Like a busted vacuum assist line?

Just W-A-Ging out loud.
#17362 - in reply to #17334
Author
Posted 5/29/2006 7:18 PM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

No rear drums; just front drums. The last time brakes were bled were last year. There are no leaks. I too am thinking it is the master cylinder. Breaks did not recover (did not become "rock hard and work"). It was when I was walking back to my G after running an errand that I noticed pushing down all the way on the brake pedal. Normally when I start the car, I put my foot on the break and then put the car in gear so that car does not lurch forward or back.

Busted vacuum line: You know yesterday after washing the G, I opened the hood because I heard a ping sound. I did notice a space open on the short accordian hose (hose is maybe 3 in in diameter) connecting the black part that goes across the straight six engine and the big black part on the far left that goes from the battery to the front (part has an opening and looks like a huge kazoo).

This helps a lot. Thanks!
#17368 - in reply to #17334
Author
Posted 5/29/2006 7:47 PM
DUTCH

Left - Right. . . . . . Front - Rear ?

Are you calling left as you stand at the front and look at it, or left as in the left side of the truck fron the front seat? Or, are you driving a RHD Gwagen? Your descriptions sound backwards to me.

Also, you don't have front drum brakes. You have front discs and rear drums. . . . . . . . . . if ytou're driving a G.

P.S. That "kazoo" is your air cleaner.
#17372 - in reply to #17368
Author
Posted 5/29/2006 7:56 PM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Yeah Dutch. When I refer to left and right, I am standing in front of the G. No, I do not have a RHD G--hehehehe!!! Yes, I have front discs and rear drums. I guess with what I went through this morning, stress kicks in and kicks out common sense.
#17373 - in reply to #17334
Author
Posted 5/29/2006 8:02 PM
DUTCH

A hole in the accordian connector in the air filter crossover could certainly affect how the engine runs - probably VERY lean and subject to backfiring. It won't affect the braking.

(280GEEngine.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 280GEEngine.jpg (175KB - 9 downloads)
#17374 - in reply to #17373
Author
Posted 5/29/2006 8:28 PM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Thanks Dutch. So it looks like I need to have that short accordian hose reclamped. There is no hole in the hose itself. What I meant to say is there is a gap between hose and the air filter crossover--that is why I say re-clamp.

Yep, my 460 looks the same. I realize my brake issue is a seperate one.
#17377 - in reply to #17334
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1