Page 1 of 1 1
Oil change / siphoning
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/30/2006 7:05 AM
roadsta

Date registered: Dec 1899
Oil change / siphoning

My car is now 18 months old, 12,000 km (~9000miles), has never been in for a service, and therefore still has the original oil in it. (Never added any oil either, which I ascribe to driving the car 'enthusiastically' from day one, more or less!)

My dealer tells me not to bother with a service until the service indicator tells me to do so (another 10,000 km or so) by which time the car will probably be 3 years old. It is only a weekend car, for the most.

I am keen to change the oil myself, without drama. I am thinking of siphoning the oil out. Does anyone have experience with that? (Why do I think fgwinn has done it? Maybe just some neurons misfiring.)

Paix, 

roadsta 

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/30/2006 12:51 PM
etyu

Re: Oil change / siphoning

check out www.autosportcatalog.com for the device for siphoning the engine oil through the dipstick opening.
#17573 - in reply to #17492
Author
Posted 5/30/2006 4:44 PM
etyu

RE: Oil change / siphoning

roadsta - 5/30/2006 4:05 AM

My car is now 18 months old, 12,000 km (~9000miles), has never been in for a service, and therefore still has the original oil in it. (Never added any oil either, which I ascribe to driving the car 'enthusiastically' from day one, more or less!)

My dealer tells me not to bother with a service until the service indicator tells me to do so (another 10,000 km or so) by which time the car will probably be 3 years old. It is only a weekend car, for the most.

I am keen to change the oil myself, without drama. I am thinking of siphoning the oil out. Does anyone have experience with that? (Why do I think fgwinn has done it? Maybe just some neurons misfiring.)

Paix, 

roadsta 

here's the link: http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=3411
#17675 - in reply to #17492
Author
Posted 5/31/2006 12:12 AM
fgwinn

RE: Oil change / siphoning

I prefer the model 7300 mityvac extractor because it has an 8.8 liter capacity. You can find these for about $80 for the air compressor model and a bit less for the model with manual pump. It's more difficult to extract the oil in the SLK350 than in an E500 because the dipstick is located at the rear of the engine and the plastic tubes are too short. I need to connect two tubes together.

My SLK350 has 8500 miles and I changed the oil once at 6500 miles. The mityvac container has capacity indicators every liter. I did note that the amount of oil extracted appears to be greater when the oil is hot. When I siphon the oil it reaches a level about 1cm higher than the 8 liter mark, but the next day after the oil is cooled the level is down to the 8 liter mark as expected.

I did verify that I was able to remove all of the oil by also removing the drain plug. I recall draining only enough oil to create about a 100mm circle on the bottom of a pan placed beneath the engine. I did have the car raised in a level position when I did this extra step.

I am sure there are some how to photos posted on the BW forum. BTW, I understand that the siphon method does not work for the SLK55 which has two drain plugs.

http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_fee.asp

roadsta - 5/30/2006 7:05 AM

Paix, 

roadsta 

#17815 - in reply to #17492
Author
Posted 6/1/2006 1:57 AM
etyu

Re: Oil change / siphoning

www.performanceproducts4benz.com has one that uses a hand pump and has 8-liter capacity. The kit comes with 5 ft flexible hose and two rigid dipstick tubes for engine oil removal. Item No. 800589, Fluid Evacuator Plus, sells for $94.95.
#18142 - in reply to #17492
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1