Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Roadster Forums : R171 SLK Class : access to front passenger 1/4 panel thru wheel well?

Page 1 of 1 1
access to front passenger 1/4 panel thru wheel well?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/30/2006 12:34 PM
jbanks15

Date registered: Dec 1899
access to front passenger 1/4 panel thru wheel well?

Hello all.

i have a small ding, not noticeable to anyone but me and want to pop it out. used a small suction cup but want to see if i can push it from behind. it is only about 1/2 inch long but about 2 inches from hood opening and i cannot see a way in from there. that leaves the front wheel well. i have opened the front wheel well before to change clear side markers but am unable to locate the screws (maybe due to all the dirt and grease down there that would grant me access to the rear side of the wheel well for the passenger front. any hints or diagrams i would appreciate it. the ding was self-inflicted by the way from a gardening implement. like i said no paint chip or discoloration, but i know it is there. Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/31/2006 3:32 PM
jbanks15

Re: access to front passenger 1/4 panel thru wheel well?

well, after agonizing over it and using small suction cups and making a little progress, i took it in to carsmetics which uses pdr (paintless dent removal). cost me $139 and worth every cent. this guy did not put it on a lift and did not remove the front wheel. he did not even remove the wheel well cover/flashing. he uses this long collapsable tool to go up where the ding was and just massages it out. as he works he uses a special tool that really scared the hell out of me. he taps the outside of the fender in several places with it while banging the end of it with a small mallet! he says ' this is where, if they are watching (the owner of the car) usually faints!' actually it is a nylon tool that causes no damage and is used to make waves like in a lake when you throw a rock. He then uses these waves to help locate and massage out the ding/dent from the underside. truly an amazing project. whole thing took about 20 minutes. wish i would have taken pictures but was too embarrassed to admit i did the damage myself while installlng the comfort-varioroof-module and hit my edger and the handle of the edger came down (whack!). Take care!

tools look like this:

http://www.mmtraining.com/Paintless-Dent-Removal-Repair-PDR-Tools.h...

#17987 - in reply to #17571
Author
Posted 5/31/2006 8:43 PM
SLK280DS

Paintless dent removal is realy great. I watched a ding being fixed on my previous car, a G35 Coupe, and was amazed at how the guy did it and the results.
#18062 - in reply to #17571
Author
Posted 5/31/2006 9:32 PM
jbanks15

i am still amazed 7 hours later. when i think of the hours i was out in the garage with my little suction cups thinking i was making progress and just fooling myself.
#18083 - in reply to #18062
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1