Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Tranny SWAP Begins...

Page 1 of 2 12
Tranny SWAP Begins...
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 5/30/2006 9:49 PM
MLOffRoad

Date registered: Dec 1899
Tranny SWAP Begins...

Hey guys, I just picked up the tranny from my local parts yard a few hours ago... here are a few pics of it. Ill update my progress nightly.

P.S- I want to thank Peter (pleubner) for all his help and time and especially for the DIY. Ill be using his instructions as my bible as I tackle this repair. Wish me luck guys!

And so it begins...

Edited by MLOffRoad 5/30/2006 9:51 PM

(tranny0.JPG)

(tranny1.JPG)

(tranny2.JPG)

(tranny3.JPG)

(tranny4.JPG)

(tranny5.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tranny0.JPG (91KB - 6 downloads)
Attachments tranny1.JPG (148KB - 6 downloads)
Attachments tranny2.JPG (74KB - 5 downloads)
Attachments tranny3.JPG (101KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments tranny4.JPG (99KB - 5 downloads)
Attachments tranny5.JPG (98KB - 5 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 5/30/2006 10:15 PM
Wolfgang

RE: Tranny SWAP Begins...

Good luck, Al.

Here's the latest on ATF. MB dealers are using this part number to smooth erratic 5 speed (722.6) shifting.

Can also be used for the new 7 speed. Costs $7.50 per liter list.

#17772 - in reply to #17763
Author
Posted 5/30/2006 10:46 PM
MLOffRoad

Wolfgang - 5/30/2006 10:15 PM

Good luck, Al.

Here's the latest on ATF. MB dealers are using this part number to smooth erratic 5 speed (722.6) shifting.

Can also be used for the new 7 speed. Costs $7.50 per liter list.

Thanks for the info... my local shop that usually does all my repairs (but will no longer get any of my business) was quoting me $200 just for the tranny fluid. I really cant believe how badly they were trying to rip me off. It makes me so angry, I really trusted them.

Edited by MLOffRoad 5/30/2006 10:54 PM
#17791 - in reply to #17772
Author
Posted 5/31/2006 6:50 AM
pleubner

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): ML270CDI Brabus-W163,SL55 AMG-R230,ML320 CDI-W164

looks good Al !

When replacing the filter , just flip the transmission on its back, unbolt the pan .... remove & stick in the new filter & magnet, re-attach the pan!.....

Good resolution pics ... means that the others will be a real nice recording of the process ....  may have to steal a few of them photos?

I see that the transmission has the filler pipe still attached? I'd replace the O-Ring anyway ...... (and it will make real hard work .. if not impossible  when fitting the transmission to the engine..... the pipe will probably get in the way as you are trying to mate up the transmission ... take it off  and put it back on  after the transmission is securely mounted, its only 2 bolts)

Also .... make sure you have aligned one of those bolt holes on the converter properly before lifting the the transmission up into place .... you'll save yourself time .... checkout the approx position of the viewport, then turn the converter in the transmission housing to approx same position. You don't get to turn the transmission (without a big effort) after lifting it in place.... we wouldn't want you to put it into place ... put a few bolts on ... then find you have to remove it again to align the converter with the engine "Gear ring" viewport eh?.

I also see it has the oil cooler line bolts attached ..... make sure they are firmly tight  once you have the lines fitted.... this is one of the areas commonly leaking .... the other area is where the electrical connector (near where the oil filler pipe) gets plugged in .... maybe you might want to to that TSB (replace Seal on electrical connector) that is commonly reported .... it's much easier to do when the transmission is out and so readily accessible..... I'm sure wolfgang knows where the TSB is! .... maybe I/He listed it already in the sticky!.

PS: remember we want to see a good pic of Option "B" .... you on your back under the car in the middle of those ramps !

PS: The tranny club is growing ..... maybe it should be made a P3 requisite:lmao: :lmao:

#17875 - in reply to #17763
Author
Posted 5/31/2006 7:05 AM
ttaleric

Re: Tranny SWAP Begins...

Al good luck man, and be careful.
#17880 - in reply to #17763
Author
Posted 5/31/2006 7:16 AM
Mklasse

MLOffRoad - 5/31/2006 9:46 AM
Wolfgang - 5/30/2006 10:15 PM Good luck, Al. Here's the latest on ATF. MB dealers are using this part number to smooth erratic 5 speed (722.6) shifting. Can also be used for the new 7 speed. Costs $7.50 per liter list.
Thanks for the info... my local shop that usually does all my repairs (but will no longer get any of my business) was quoting me $200 just for the tranny fluid. I really cant believe how badly they were trying to rip me off. It makes me so angry, I really trusted them. :banghead:

How many liters does the transmission need? maybe $200 is for a few liters of oil and the labour fee?

#17881 - in reply to #17791
Author
Posted 5/31/2006 7:17 AM
pleubner

6.5 Liters ... check out my DIY!
#17882 - in reply to #17881
Author
Posted 5/31/2006 8:55 AM
MLOffRoad

pleubner - 5/31/2006 6:50 AM

looks good Al !

When replacing the filter , just flip the transmission on its back, unbolt the pan .... remove & stick in the new filter & magnet, re-attach the pan!.....

Good resolution pics ... means that the others will be a real nice recording of the process .... may have to steal a few of them photos?

I see that the transmission has the filler pipe still attached? I'd replace the O-Ring anyway ...... (and it will make real hard work .. if not impossible when fitting the transmission to the engine..... the pipe will probably get in the way as you are trying to mate up the transmission ... take it off and put it back on after the transmission is securely mounted, its only 2 bolts)

Also .... make sure you have aligned one of those bolt holes on the converter properly before lifting the the transmission up into place .... you'll save yourself time .... checkout the approx position of the viewport, then turn the converter in the transmission housing to approx same position. You don't get to turn the transmission (without a big effort) after lifting it in place.... we wouldn't want you to put it into place ... put a few bolts on ... then find you have to remove it again to align the converter with the engine "Gear ring" viewport eh?.

I also see it has the oil cooler line bolts attached ..... make sure they are firmly tight once you have the lines fitted.... this is one of the areas commonly leaking .... the other area is where the electrical connector (near where the oil filler pipe) gets plugged in .... maybe you might want to to that TSB (replace Seal on electrical connector) that is commonly reported .... it's much easier to do when the transmission is out and so readily accessible..... I'm sure wolfgang knows where the TSB is! .... maybe I/He listed it already in the sticky!.

PS: remember we want to see a good pic of Option "B" .... you on your back under the car in the middle of those ramps !

PS: The tranny club is growing ..... maybe it should be made a P3 requisite:lmao: :lmao:

LOL... Ill be sure to follow all the tips you have given me. Im going to stop at MB today and pick up those parts and the fluid. Its a good thing you told me to just take off the filer tube because I was just going to try and do it with it on. Hahaha. Im sure I would have taken it off eventually but now Ill wont even try with it on.
#17889 - in reply to #17875
Author
Posted 5/31/2006 8:56 AM
MLOffRoad

ttaleric - 5/31/2006 7:05 AM

Al good luck man, and be careful.

Thanks man! Ill try and finish it as sober as possible...

Edited by MLOffRoad 5/31/2006 8:57 AM
#17890 - in reply to #17880
Author
Posted 5/31/2006 11:03 AM
pleubner

heh,heh ... time measurements in beers please! 

Notice the alignment is slightly off center position (more like the right corner) . See the pics below showing it behind the Engine gear ring.

(tranny2.JPG)

(DSC00032.jpg)

(DSC00033.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments tranny2.JPG (43KB - 5 downloads)
Attachments DSC00032.jpg (49KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments DSC00033.jpg (76KB - 4 downloads)
#17940 - in reply to #17890
Author
Posted 5/31/2006 12:20 PM
john

MLOffRoad,
Good luck with the job. I just swapped out my trans' using pleubner's excellent guide and thanks to that i didnt have any problems, just be careful when you lower the trans out..it's HEAVY.......i removed the tranny on its own first and then the TC but i then refitted the tranny and TC as one unit together to ensure that the two prongs on the TC were properly located in the tranny front pump...
It took 7ltrs of ATF to bring it to the correct level on the special dipstick.
Here is a piccy of the dipstick....

(Dip 2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Dip 2.jpg (188KB - 6 downloads)
#17963 - in reply to #17763
Author
Posted 6/3/2006 1:35 AM
MLOffRoad

Sorry for the lack of updates guys... I started working on the tranny swap in my garage on ramps and there just wasnt enough room. Anyways I ended up towing my ML over to my friends shop where I will continue the work and hopefully finish Sunday.

Edited by MLOffRoad 6/3/2006 1:35 AM
#18822 - in reply to #17763
Author
Posted 6/4/2006 7:04 PM
roadsession

MLOffRoad - 6/3/2006 1:35 AM

Sorry for the lack of updates guys... I started working on the tranny swap in my garage on ramps and there just wasnt enough room. Anyways I ended up towing my ML over to my friends shop where I will continue the work and hopefully finish Sunday.

what happened.......suspense awaits
#19227 - in reply to #18822
Author
Posted 6/4/2006 9:03 PM
pleubner

Yeah,

Looks like tatics switched to the "Car Lift" + "Support Stand" strategy ..... Something like  PLAN "B"?.....

#19249 - in reply to #19227
Author
Posted 6/7/2006 1:39 PM
pleubner

Where is he ? .... Doing the repair on the moon?... Car lift dropped on him?.... Taken to public transport?....

(22a.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 22a.jpg (89KB - 4 downloads)
#20128 - in reply to #19249
Author
Posted 6/7/2006 1:56 PM
ttaleric

^lol nice one pete!
#20137 - in reply to #20128
Author
Posted 6/9/2006 10:41 PM
MLOffRoad

Hey guys, I got the swap completed finally... when I went to give it a test drive the tranny is still locked in second gear!! What did I do wrong?? I already tried reseting the computer via disconnecting the battery and still no luck. Any suggestions besides taking it to the dealer for them to use a star diagnostic system on it??? Thxs.
#21041 - in reply to #17763
Author
Posted 6/10/2006 5:23 AM
pleubner

oh,oh....the MB techs tell me that exchange units just get installed an they work ..... well almost always work .... like mine which had a faulty sensor .... hopefully that's not your case ..... which would mean you got sold a dud unit! .....

The only way to tell (no oil leaking from the electrical connector?) ... is to hook it up to the SDS! .... Did you remove the pan , and replace the filter?.....

sometimes a faulty gear selector ? .... remove the center console an check the electrical connectors .... The fast way is definately the SDS ..... reports exactly what is, and what is not working!!!.

Hey nice to see you back again .... I thought you were ->

(dead.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments dead.jpg (7KB - 3 downloads)
#21267 - in reply to #17763
Author
Posted 6/10/2006 5:35 PM
Marcelc

MLOffRoad - 6/10/2006 3:41 AMHey guys, I got the swap completed finally... when I went to give it a test drive the tranny is still locked in second gear!! What did I do wrong?? I already tried reseting the computer via disconnecting the battery and still no luck. Any suggestions besides taking it to the dealer for them to use a star diagnostic system on it??? Thxs.

I suspect this won't help but you could try it because it is quick and easy to do:

This procedure resets the transmission ECU adaptive learning algorithm:

1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.

2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.

(Got this from PointedThree.com – by Phoenix44).
#21322 - in reply to #21041
Author
Posted 6/10/2006 9:23 PM
MLOffRoad

Thxs again guys... I tried everything with no luck. Ill have to bring it to the dealership on Monday to get the codes looked up.
#21355 - in reply to #17763
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 2 12