Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : For Sale/Trade/ Wanted Items : WTB Propshaft/Driveshaft

Page 1 of 1 1
WTB Propshaft/Driveshaft
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/17/2013 7:49 PM
bbrah
Regular

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s): 460.233 (1980 280GE LWB)
WTB Propshaft/Driveshaft

Looking for a front propshaft for an early LWB (8-bolt flanges). This is the shaft that runs from the Xfer case to the front diff. The distance from flange to flange is approximately 37 5/8" (which I assume is longer than the length of the shaft due to the slip yoke).

If I can't find a good usable one the correct size, I'm willing to buy a wrong-sized shaft that I can cannibalize.

I don't care if the U-joints are shot, but I need a good slip yoke and at least one good flange.

Please email me with what you have and how much you want for it.

Regards,

-BRAH

Bryan Brah

bbrah (at} artisanwriting [dot} com

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/18/2013 6:53 PM
Razon

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle(s): 1986 280ge Cabrio, 617A, 5sp manual
Re: WTB Propshaft/Driveshaft

Be carefull how much you spend on used ones. Just because it has no play that you can feel , it doesn't mean it has no vibrations. I spent a fare bit of money only to end up with junk that wasn't any better than the driveshafts I allready had.

That being said, I have all the parts you're looking for... rear shaft, front shaft, including a yoke and slip joint with a brand new ujoint in it (I used the other half in one of my driveshafts). If you decide you want some of them, just let me know.
#215725 - in reply to #215694
Author
Posted 7/19/2013 10:38 AM
w.james
Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s): 84 280 GE 617A 5sp getrag
Re: WTB Propshaft/Driveshaft

Just to echo Razon post
went thru 2 used before I had one made by Jim Reel (http://www.reeldriveline.com/catalog/). All of them, including mine had bad slip joints. I think the heat from the exhaust cooked the grease out of slip joint and lead to the failure and resulting vibration. Last time I check MB want 1500 for a new one. The one I had made was a 1000. It has replaceable u-joints and can be made with or without grease fitting. The slip joint and u-joints seem as heavy duty as the original MB. Got about 10,000 mile on the new one and it working fine

Good luck with it
W
#215739 - in reply to #215694
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1