460 Body Number
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/1/2006 2:21 AM
Eik

Date registered: Dec 1899
460 Body Number

Hi Folks!
I've just started to strip down my new project; a 1982 280GE - LWB. The body is quite rusty - and an additional body, which the seller thought was from '86/'87, was a part of the deal when I bought it. The problem is that the ID-plate in front of the coupe air-intake, is removed from the second body, that means that neither the chassis- or bodynumber is visible. I know the chassis-number is stamped into the chassis-frame inside the RH wheelarch, but is the body number printed/stamped elsewhere on the body? And are there changes in the bodystructure throughout the years for the 460-series - that can help identifying the body number, thus ease orders for new parts?

Eik
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/6/2006 2:35 AM
Eik

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: 460 Body Number

-Nobody able to give me a hand on this one?
I guess the reason for the removed ID-plate is that the previous vehicle was rebuilt with a 463-body, which is quite normal in Norway - as the taxes on new vehicles are tremendously high. Does anybody know whether there were any changes to the 460-series body during the years they were produced? - Or were a long wheelbase 460 body, identical thfoughout all the years of production. I'm also wondering if there were any changes between the 460 and the 461 bodies.

However, to get on with this project - I certainly need to identify the second body. And I would really appreciate if anybody could give me a hint about how I can figure it out....

Eik
#19529 - in reply to #18144
Author
Posted 6/6/2006 4:23 AM
amzimmy
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): GD300 1981, Alfa GT 3,2 V6, Alfa Brera Q4 3,2 V6.

Eik,

This seems to be a tough one!

Could you possibly fid out from the Roadworthy Department the history of the vehicle, here in SA we can get from our local admin all the "paperwork" relating to the vehicle history, the chassis and engine number are recorded on the papers.

amzimmy
#19536 - in reply to #19529
Author
Posted 6/6/2006 7:29 AM
Iver460
Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): '82 300 GD STT Cab (two other Gs in family)

I know of guyes that have later bodies on early frames, a friend of mine has a '80 frame with a complete '86 drivetrain and body, another that I've bought some parts of has a '79 frame with an '87 body. I have a '86 dashboard in my '82 body, so I wouldn't be too concerned about the major differences.

If you were about to place a later drive-train into a early frame replacement of enigine- and gearbox mounts would have been required.

If you send me a pic of the new body I could try to give it a shot and determine the age, some details vary from year to year.
Ohh, I see your in Akershus, my parrents live in Asker so maybe I could drop by and we could se what there is to find out!
#19547 - in reply to #19529
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1