Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Roadster Forums : R171 SLK Class : I Love My SLK, But Oh, You Lambo!!!

Page 1 of 2 12
I Love My SLK, But Oh, You Lambo!!!
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/2/2006 9:31 AM
Dinoman

Date registered: Dec 1899
I Love My SLK, But Oh, You Lambo!!!

As I mentioned in a response on the bumper- scraping post, my longtime Ferrari-owning friend just bought a 2006 pearl yellow Lamborghine Gallardo Spyder. I haven't driven it yet, because he just got it yesterday and drove it once, then the rain clouds threatened, and it began to mist. I did start it up, and the sound almost stopped my heart! He had to pay $25K over sticker (which I saw---$231,645!!!). I have always been a big fan of Pininfarina, but I have to say that this car blows away any current Ferrari model (including the recently completed Enzo series). I don't have words to sufficiently describe it, but once I have driven it, I will try to do so. My friend's daily driver is an '06 CLS 500, and he was anxious to see my SLK. When he called me yesterday, he asked if I would bring it over. I told him that I would not. I was coming over to see his car. As we sat in lawn chairs in his garage admiring the Gallardo, he said that he now understood why I had told him that bringing over the SLK would be anti-climactic. As I said above, I love my SLK, but some things just don't compare. I will show it to him on another occasion. I had all I could do to drive home in rush hour traffic after gawking at his car for about an hour or so. Dinoman
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/2/2006 10:52 AM
Ynot

Re: I Love My SLK, But Oh, You Lambo!!!

Nice, thank's for sharing your experience, I have not seen the Gallardo spyder in person, the ferrari F430 spider is a beauty in both pics and reality, I'm sure the Gallardo is alot more stunning in reallife as is most things. Is it e-gear transmission or 6sp (do they make manuals anymore)?

Edited by Ynot 6/2/2006 10:54 AM
#18557 - in reply to #18543
Author
Posted 6/2/2006 10:58 AM
Duo-Art

RE: I Love My SLK, But Oh, You Lambo!!!

I assume the Gallardo is a lot better detailed than the Diablo was. My friend had one and the interior was really crude, so were the seams where the various body panels met. The body looked like a poorly assembled kit car.
#18559 - in reply to #18543
Author
Posted 6/2/2006 11:14 AM
Dinoman

Ynot, It's an e-gear. They do make a 6-speed, but I'd bet you'd have to special-order one to get it. I haven't driven it yet, but I know that I'd prefer the manual. I can't remember (other than my first real-life citing of a Dino over 30 years ago) when a car has had this effect on me. If I had a spare quarter-million lying around, I think I'd have to have one! Interestingly enough, the first time I saw a picture of the Gallardo coupe, it reminded me of a Dino, brought up to date, the front fenders especially. On the quality issue, my only ride in a Lambo was about 20 years ago, in a well-used Countach. When we walked back to the car, it was surrounded by skate-boarding boys who looked to be about ten years old. That says it all. Ugly, poorly constructed and not pretty to listen to. However, with the Gallardo, things are different. If I were Ferrari, I'd keep my eye on the rearview mirror! Dinoman
#18566 - in reply to #18557
Author
Posted 6/2/2006 2:42 PM
alroumi

Ive seen the Gallardo Spyder in Person, Its gorgeous
#18613 - in reply to #18543
Author
Posted 6/2/2006 3:07 PM
Dinoman

Alroumi, That about says it all. I've never felt great anticipation waiting to drive a new Ferrari model, but I can't wait to drive the Gallardo spyder! Dinoman
#18618 - in reply to #18613
Author
Posted 6/3/2006 4:21 PM
alroumi

Dinoman - 6/2/2006 10:07 PM

Alroumi, That about says it all. I've never felt great anticipation waiting to drive a new Ferrari model, but I can't wait to drive the Gallardo spyder! Dinoman

But it doesnt sound as muscular as the SLK55 at WOT
#18925 - in reply to #18618
Author
Posted 6/4/2006 1:45 AM
Beleriand

You mean like this? Man, I feel you brother. Simply nothing like it.

(DSCN0389.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN0389.JPG (150KB - 2 downloads)
#19035 - in reply to #18543
Author
Posted 6/4/2006 1:51 AM
Beleriand

But here is the grand daddy of them all. Say it all together now "MURCIALAGO" - Ahhhhhhhhhh. By the way, these pics were taken at the Crystal Cove auto gathering in Newport Beach, Ca.

(DSCN0480.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DSCN0480.JPG (168KB - 2 downloads)
#19041 - in reply to #18543
Author
Posted 6/4/2006 8:30 AM
alroumi

MURCIELAGO, It just makes me cry, This thing is hott!
Btw the Gallardo roadster is seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeexy
#19099 - in reply to #18543
Author
Posted 6/4/2006 4:26 PM
storm

personal choice would be a murcielago,... gotta love the brute force of the damn thing!
#19187 - in reply to #18543
Author
Posted 6/5/2006 9:48 AM
Dinoman

Very similar, Beleriand, although the one you've posted is pearl orange, with chrome wheels, and my friend's is pearl yellow, with optional Gallardo wheels. It's been four days since I saw it, and I'm still not back to normal!!! It's times like these that just might make me consider a lottery ticket! Dinoman
#19357 - in reply to #19035
Author
Posted 6/5/2006 9:54 AM
Dinoman

On second thought, maybe those aren't chrome wheels, but they are different from the ones on my friend's car. I'm not particular, though. You could wrap either car up for me and I'd be happy to take it home! Dinoman
#19359 - in reply to #19357
Author
Posted 6/6/2006 12:09 PM
Shinigami

Murcie's and Gallardo's, they're all very nice cars.

Haven't driven one, although I got friends who have either or both. Just a question of time

Too bad the clutches don't last all that long. One guy has gone through about 3 of them so far on his Murcie. In the space of 15,000km's...

And those clutches are NOT cheap.
#19631 - in reply to #18543
Author
Posted 6/6/2006 2:14 PM
Dinoman

I can't speak to the reliability of Lamborghini clutches, but I am always amazed to see a classified ad in which a would-be seller proudly proclaims that his 4,000-mile Ferrari or Lamborghini has a new clutch. If I were that profligate with the clutch, I would not be anxious to advertise the fact. My 29,000-mile 1972 Dino 246 GT has never even had a clutch adjustment. It hasn't needed one. I know that the newer exotics have a lot more torque than my Dinos put out, but I find it hard to believe that their clutches are all designed to self-destruct at low mileage. I suspect that a combination of heavy-"handed" clutch use plus an excessive number of wheel-spinning starts is probably the culprit behind many of these burned-out so-called "fragile" clutches. Dinoman
#19712 - in reply to #19631
Author
Posted 6/6/2006 5:52 PM
GG AD 600

Shinigami - 6/6/2006 6:09 PM

Too bad the clutches don't last all that long. One guy has gone through about 3 of them so far on his Murcie. In the space of 15,000km's...

And those clutches are NOT cheap.

And you know why ??The whole engine needs to be taken out of it´s bay for clutch replacement....
In EVO magazine is a long term test of the Lambo Murciélago. After 26.000 miles the clutch needed to be replaced with 2650 pounds only for the clutch plate...If you like racing away from stop lights a Murciélago will probably eat a clutch every 5000 miles.

Here´s a pic of "regular maintenance" work...

(Scannen.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Scannen.jpg (96KB - 2 downloads)
#19785 - in reply to #19631
Author
Posted 6/6/2006 11:05 PM
Beleriand

Holy Shit! That looks like the Alien mothership!

What about the Egear? Same problem?
#19893 - in reply to #18543
Author
Posted 6/7/2006 4:57 AM
GG AD 600

I guess it´s mostly a problem of the EGear Models. For passenger comfort the clutch is using a lot of slip when you only press the throttle a little bit so that that car crawls slowly away. When you press it a little more the car suddenly jumps away because then the clutch fully engages... Only a beginner would drive a manual like that.
On a stop light you will win every race with the SLK against a Lambo if the Lambo driver steps too carefully on the throttle.
Newer models now are using a beefier clutch and have a new software for the EGear that eliminates that slipping and extends lifetime of the clutch.

Andy

#20018 - in reply to #19893
Author
Posted 6/7/2006 9:36 AM
Dinoman

My mechanic did a lot of work on various Lamborghinis back in the '80s. At that time, many routine maintenance procedures required engine removal. We were both puzzled at the engineeering involved, but it sounds as though not much has changed under VW ownership/Audi engineering cooperation. Ferraris don't have that problem, but my biggest gripe with Ferrari V8's from the 308 series at least through the 360 series (not sure about the F430's) is the drive belts, which must be changed every 15,000 or so miles, or 5 years, whichever comes first. That requires a knowledgeable technician (usually, though not always, a franchised dealer) and thousands of dollars for the owner. My Dinos have chain-driven camshafts that practically never need adjusting, but when it is required, it is a much more simple and much less costly proposition. I believe that the Enzo has gear-driven cams, and the new 599 GTB Fiorano employs chains. I don't understand the reason for the drive belts, other than to keep Ferrari dealer service bays humming. Dinoman
#20049 - in reply to #19785
Author
Posted 6/7/2006 10:38 AM
alroumi

Wow, Ive heard about Murcies taking a long time at the service dpt, Overall its a hell of a sexy car
#20059 - in reply to #18543
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 2 12