Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Tires/differential noise?

Page 1 of 1 1
Tires/differential noise?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/4/2006 11:57 AM
Mklasse

Date registered: Dec 1899
Tires/differential noise?

There is a noise developed in my car that everytime i drive it, there is a humming sound, but its not constant.. its like .. hum... hum... hum... it sounds like coming from the front. The noise is really noticable when decelerating or cruising without accelerating (probably present when accelerating but it was "muffled" by the engine sound) When I was about to have spooring and balancing, they said it's most probably coming from the tires. They claimed 3 of my tires are uneven. Could this be the culprit or is it more serious like maybe the differential? Has this happened to anyone? Is it expensive to repair the differential?

The car is 4 years old and the odometer is only 20,500 miles, I bought this car used, so I dont know if this ever occured to previous owner or not.. funny I didn't notice it when I was test driving the car before I bought it, and the stealer pre-purchase inspection shows nothing wrong in this area.. they only told me that the air filter will need to get changed soon, front brake shoes will have to be replaced soon (the light in the dashboard is not lit up yet tho), and the battery is weak..

Any idea what would likely be the cause before i turn the car in? I don't want to change the tires if they're not the culprit, the tire shop could just say that to make the sale (anything possible right?)

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/4/2006 12:28 PM
MADSLEG

RE: Tires/differential noise?

I noticed same noice after i got new drilled/sloted rotors and brake pads.When i am slowing down its same noice like hum hum hum.Its been like this for almost a year,i didnt find anything wrong.I just deal with it :))
#19140 - in reply to #19131
Author
Posted 6/4/2006 12:31 PM
phoenix44

Mklasse - 6/4/2006 11:57 AM

There is a noise developed in my car that every time i drive it, there is a humming sound, but its not constant.. its like .. hum... hum... hum... it sounds like coming from the front. The noise is really noticable when decelerating or cruising without accelerating (probably present when accelerating but it was "muffled" by the engine sound) When I was about to have spooring and balancing, they said it's most probably coming from the tires. They claimed 3 of my tires are uneven. Could this be the culprit or is it more serious like maybe the differential? Has this happened to anyone? Is it expensive to repair the differential?

The car is 4 years old and the odometer is only 20,500 miles, I bought this car used, so I dont know if this ever occured to previous owner or not.. funny I didn't notice it when I was test driving the car before I bought it, and the stealer pre-purchase inspection shows nothing wrong in this area.. they only told me that the air filter will need to get changed soon, front brake shoes will have to be replaced soon (the light in the dashboard is not lit up yet tho), and the battery is weak..

Any idea what would likely be the cause before i turn the car in? I don't want to change the tires if they're not the culprit, the tire shop could just say that to make the sale (anything possible right?)

Well, what kind of tires do you have? If they are an aggressive all terrain tire, than the sound certainly could be from the tires. If you have essentially only on road tires with a car tire like tread, than it maybe something else.

I would not be waiting for the brake light to come on, and I would change the air filter right away, both of these items can be done either by you, or your local friendly tech.

A weak battery could leave you stranded, as you need a certain voltage to fire up your rig.

You could get a second opinion on the state of your current rubber? If they are cupped, you may also need to get an alignment.

As far as your diff. No idea what the cost would be, sorry.

p.s. what is "spooring"?
#19142 - in reply to #19131
Author
Posted 6/4/2006 3:07 PM
AndrewAZ

Re: Tires/differential noise?

I have the same noise and complained about it to 2 different dealers. 1 dealer the SA said he didnt hear anything when he drove it. The other after I described the noise said right away he said it was because of the gear ratios of the 4wd system. I have never tried putting the car in neutral to see if the noise went away but I suspect that if the car was placed in N the lack of resistance from the transmission would make the noise go away. But I have had 2 ML's and both of them have made the noise and I have had 2 sets of tires on each one.
#19171 - in reply to #19131
Author
Posted 6/4/2006 10:53 PM
Mklasse

phoenix44 - 6/4/2006 11:31 PM
Well, what kind of tires do you have? If they are an aggressive all terrain tire, than the sound certainly could be from the tires. If you have essentially only on road tires with a car tire like tread, than it maybe something else. I would not be waiting for the brake light to come on, and I would change the air filter right away, both of these items can be done either by you, or your local friendly tech. A weak battery could leave you stranded, as you need a certain voltage to fire up your rig. You could get a second opinion on the state of your current rubber? If they are cupped, you may also need to get an alignment. As far as your diff. No idea what the cost would be, sorry. p.s. what is "spooring"? :)

The tires are Falken-RV Landair/AT Traction M+S LT225/75 R16. I didn't change the tires last time because they didn't have the new one with the same spec. (or one that is close to it). I think spooring = alignment. I'm not sure why people is calling it "spooring" here.

The dealer said to change the air filter and front brake pads on the next oil change, and as for the battery, they suggested using a non-OEM. They was going to charge me U$700 for the OEM battery (so I was surprised when some folks here change the battery for only $100-150ish). I will have to change the battery soon, as you're right, the weak battery could leave me stranded.

I will get the car to another tire shop and see what they say.. I called the dealership about this noise, the SA had no idea. I guess that's because M-class is rather "rare" Mercedes in here.

#19276 - in reply to #19142
Author
Posted 6/4/2006 11:21 PM
phoenix44

Mklasse - 6/4/2006 10:53 PM

phoenix44 - 6/4/2006 11:31 PM
Well, what kind of tires do you have? If they are an aggressive all terrain tire, than the sound certainly could be from the tires. If you have essentially only on road tires with a car tire like tread, than it maybe something else. I would not be waiting for the brake light to come on, and I would change the air filter right away, both of these items can be done either by you, or your local friendly tech. A weak battery could leave you stranded, as you need a certain voltage to fire up your rig. You could get a second opinion on the state of your current rubber? If they are cupped, you may also need to get an alignment. As far as your diff. No idea what the cost would be, sorry. p.s. what is "spooring"? :)

The tires are Falken-RV Landair/AT Traction M+S LT225/75 R16. I didn't change the tires last time because they didn't have the new one with the same spec. (or one that is close to it). I think spooring = alignment. I'm not sure why people is calling it "spooring" here.

The dealer said to change the air filter and front brake pads on the next oil change, and as for the battery, they suggested using a non-OEM. They was going to charge me U$700 for the OEM battery (so I was surprised when some folks here change the battery for only $100-150ish). I will have to change the battery soon, as you're right, the weak battery could leave me stranded.

I will get the car to another tire shop and see what they say.. I called the dealership about this noise, the SA had no idea. I guess that's because M-class is rather "rare" Mercedes in here.

Mklasse, was that 700.00 euros? What Country are you in? Cupped tires or an aggressive tread can make "tire howl". I would find a goof local tech to get your pads replaced, rather than the dealer, it is quite straight forward.

Good luck!!
#19279 - in reply to #19276
Author
Posted 6/5/2006 6:35 AM
Mklasse

phoenix44 - 6/5/2006 10:21 AM Mklasse, was that 700.00 euros? What Country are you in? Cupped tires or an aggressive tread can make "tire howl". I would find a goof local tech to get your pads replaced, rather than the dealer, it is quite straight forward. Good luck!!

No, i converted it to US dollar, so approx $700. I live in Indonesia. I hope its just the tires, not something more serious and more expensive to repair.

#19330 - in reply to #19279
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1