Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Starter Switch Failure

Page 1 of 1 1
Starter Switch Failure
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/4/2006 12:46 PM
petermerle
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): W460 *1, W123 *2, W124
Starter Switch Failure

My ignition starter switch appears to have failed on my 300GD and I now have to hot-wire start it. How does one remove the ignition switch to get to the electrical connector at the back - with steering lock enguaged or disenguaged? I have removed the steering wheel and the indicator stalk - and see a "U" clamp that holds the ignition switch in place - Just was wondering if it matters if the steering lock is enguaged or not.

PEter
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/4/2006 3:19 PM
dai
Expert

Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F
RE: Starter Switch Failure

Peter,

I am pretty sure that the ignition switch set up is identical to the 123 chassis setup. If you can get a look at the 123 chassis/body service manual it is detailed there. You want volume 1 of the two volume set. The ignition switch stuff is near the end of the book 1. There are people who have these manuals posted online. Check out the old benzword forum archives about manuals and you'll probably find someone whose got them in electronic format. Or find a local mechanic with the paper manuals. If you come up empty let me know an I'll try to photograph the relevant pages.

Your electrical swich is held on to the hardware with three screws in the back side of the lock mechinism. Easy to remove and replace. Do not take everything apart from the front. Find the wiring harness that goes to the switch, remove the plug in and then remove the three little screws that hold the electrical switch in the lock cylinder body at the back. It involves laying on your back under there in an unpleasant position with some lighting. Have a cold pale ale available for after you emerge out from under there with the little switch in hand. A magnetic screwdriver will help reinstall the tiny little screws that hold the new one in place. Best of luck.

-Dai
#19173 - in reply to #19146
Author
Posted 6/5/2006 7:07 AM
Ernest T Bass

Date registered: Dec 1899

If you don’t mind being cheap and replacing the starter switch with a push button – you can wire in a relay under the hood and use a lowish current push button as a starter. It can be fitted in the plastic panel opposite the ignition switch the other side of the steering wheel.

To take out the ignition switch (don’t know if the petrol engined ones are different) you need a small bent rod, 90 degree bend about 2mm diameter to release the ignition unit. My one refused to come out but the starting problem was solved by a relay – the switch was able to operate the relay. I would recommend protecting the ignition switch with a relay as they eventually fail and are not cheap – a relay is cheap and simple to replace. In fact, I have also protected the headlamp switch with a relay as they also burn out and are expensive.
#19333 - in reply to #19146
Author
Posted 6/5/2006 7:33 AM
petermerle
Expert

Can you get to the back of the unit insitu? Seems like its easier to remove entire ignition lock and then remove the 3 small screws - I'm not sure how difficuly it is to remove entire lock? Must the key be in place? Key turned etc.
PEter
#19337 - in reply to #19173
Author
Posted 6/5/2006 8:33 AM
Ernest T Bass

Date registered: Dec 1899

I think to remove the lock you might have to drill out the tamperproof bolts that hold the unit onto the column. I must admit I gave up after taking out the 3 bolts and using the bent wire in the appropriate hole.

I’ll try and attach the manual page for the lock

(700_1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 700_1.jpg (153KB - 11 downloads)
#19347 - in reply to #19337
Author
Posted 6/5/2006 10:31 AM
petermerle
Expert

I wonder why the removal of cable plug is step 4 and not an earlier step? Can one remove the cable plug earlier I wonder. I'll have another look tonite.
PEter
#19362 - in reply to #19347
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1