Page 1 of 1 1
Clear Parking Lights
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/25/2006 8:03 AM
RonJeffries

Date registered: Dec 1899
Clear Parking Lights

I ordered clear parking lights for the SLK (Firemist) and had my son (a master auto tech in Ann Arbor) put them in for me yesterday. I'm glad I had him do it. He showed me what was entailed. There's a pan behind the front bumper, with six or so screws holding it in. Then the light is a full forearm's reach up into the front of the fender area. It was a quick job with the car up on the lift, and would have been hell, especially for a fat old guy, lying on the ground.

People have talked of doing it through the wheel well, but from what I saw I don't see what they mean by that.

They look good, very Euro ... I'll post pics if the sun comes out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/25/2006 10:15 AM
jbanks15

RE: Clear Parking Lights

Hey ron, there is a difference between the parking lights and the side markers. i had my son do the side markers through the wheel well and they were replaced in about 10 mins each.
#1512 - in reply to #1457
Author
Posted 4/25/2006 1:31 PM
RonJeffries

jbanks15 - 4/25/2006 10:15 AM

Hey ron, there is a difference between the parking lights and the side markers. i had my son do the side markers through the wheel well and they were replaced in about 10 mins each.

I meant side markers, thanks. Standing under the car, as I did yesterday, I don't see how your son did it "thru" the wheel well, without dropping the belly pan thing.
#1596 - in reply to #1512
Author
Posted 4/25/2006 2:28 PM
jbanks15

ron, definately some confusion here. as explained in someone's posts, turn your wheel left or right, remove about 3 screws. 1 on underside of car near fender well, the other 2 in the front well. they are black screws. if you look inside the car wheel well, the side marker is about 10 inches in. one of the posts on the other board had pictures. hope all is well.
#1652 - in reply to #1596
Author
Posted 4/25/2006 3:24 PM
RonJeffries

jbanks15 - 4/25/2006 2:28 PM

ron, definately some confusion here. as explained in someone's posts, turn your wheel left or right, remove about 3 screws. 1 on underside of car near fender well, the other 2 in the front well. they are black screws. if you look inside the car wheel well, the side marker is about 10 inches in. one of the posts on the other board had pictures. hope all is well.

Everything is fine here -- my car's done, and my son did it. He went in from underneath, removing the pan behind the bumper, which when I looked at it seemed to be a fine way to go about it. I looked to see if there was a door in the fender well and didn't spot it, but didn't look very hard.
#1680 - in reply to #1652
Author
Posted 4/27/2006 10:32 AM
Ynot

RonJeffries - 4/25/2006 6:03 AM

I ordered clear parking lights for the SLK (Firemist) and had my son (a master auto tech in Ann Arbor) put them in for me yesterday. I'm glad I had him do it. He showed me what was entailed. There's a pan behind the front bumper, with six or so screws holding it in. Then the light is a full forearm's reach up into the front of the fender area. It was a quick job with the car up on the lift, and would have been hell, especially for a fat old guy, lying on the ground.

People have talked of doing it through the wheel well, but from what I saw I don't see what they mean by that.

They look good, very Euro ... I'll post pics if the sun comes out.

Any way will work as long as you have it installed but the easiest way is to turn the wheel all the way right when working on the leftside and vice versa for the other, remove two 10mm bolts from the plastic, flex the plastic for access to the side marker, you don't have to lift it, remove wheel, it's the easiest way.
#3580 - in reply to #1457
Author
Posted 4/27/2006 7:43 PM
bmwnomore

I did mine through the wheel well. Was actually pretty easy. Took about 1 hour total. Even old and fat guys should be able to do it.
#3981 - in reply to #3580
Author
Posted 4/27/2006 11:01 PM
RonJeffries

bmwnomore - 4/27/2006 7:43 PM

I did mine through the wheel well. Was actually pretty easy. Took about 1 hour total. Even old and fat guys should be able to do it. ;)

Probably could, too. However, with a master tech in the family, who has a lift and two cubic meters of tools, why would I?
#4273 - in reply to #3981
Author
Posted 4/28/2006 1:47 AM
etyu

RonJeffries - 4/27/2006 8:01 PM

Probably could, too. However, with a master tech in the family, who has a lift and two cubic meters of tools, why would I? :)

You are quite fortunate to have a master mechanic in the family.
#4384 - in reply to #4273
Author
Posted 4/28/2006 7:54 AM
RonJeffries

etyu - 4/28/2006 1:47 AM

RonJeffries - 4/27/2006 8:01 PM

Probably could, too. However, with a master tech in the family, who has a lift and two cubic meters of tools, why would I? :)

You are quite fortunate to have a master mechanic in the family. :)

You think that's good? The other one is a brewer! http://www.jollypumpkin.com
#4489 - in reply to #4384
Author
Posted 4/28/2006 8:47 PM
bmwnomore

RonJeffries - 4/28/2006 7:54 AM

You think that's good? The other one is a brewer! http://www.jollypumpkin.com

A master mechanic, a brewer and an SLK in the family! You lucky sod.
#5075 - in reply to #4489
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1