Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : trailer brake again

Page 1 of 1 1
trailer brake again
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/6/2006 3:49 PM
KERR

Date registered: Dec 1899
trailer brake again

OK, i read and seached on here and "other places" , printed out the pictures of what it should look like and im still confused. Maybe im slower than usual or i might just be dumb who know... at anyrate i went to buy a trailer brake to day and the guy said it will have to plug into something under the dash which you will have to get from MB if you dont have it. Well there is nothing under the dash but i did find this in the back next to the cd changer.

From what he said and i think i know, All i need to do is buy a TB from any store and plug it into something and my trailer brakes should work with the foot pedal. So rather than take up space posting picture, i took some ond posted them on web shots.

Now my question is this. Do i have what ever it is they keep talking about at the trailer places so i can simply plug in the new trailer brake controller and be done or do i need to go back to my mb dealer. When i bought the Hitch MB said it was the latest one out with the updated wireing.

Thanks for you help and sorry for the dumb question.

http://community.webshots.com/album/551130373SsHwpU

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/6/2006 4:08 PM
mb230s

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G-less for now, vintage MBs, FJ40
Re: trailer brake again

Read these -

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1164848&posts=12&hl=

and these posts of yours  

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/g-class/1183270-anyone-tow-6-000-lbs-02-a-2.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1183270&posts=20&fid=30#M1287999

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/g-class/1187121-i-know-trailer-hitch-again-2.html?highlight=trailer

What happened to your wiring? Did you do that? I'd expect to have big problems. The modern systems don't take kindly to that type of work.

Edited by mb230s 6/6/2006 4:12 PM
#19757 - in reply to #19752
Author
Posted 6/6/2006 4:28 PM
KERR

yes i read those before and looked at all my stuff.

I haven't done anything to wiring that's the way good old MB did the work. They installed the trailer hitch and all the wiring.

None of my plugs say anything about "51" they all have number but they are long one.

#19760 - in reply to #19752
Author
Posted 6/6/2006 6:01 PM
W5YK
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 G500, Unimog U2450,
RE: trailer brake again

I had the trailer hitch installed by MBUSA on my 2002 G500, sometime in 2003. That installation did not include any wiring for a brake controller. In fact, the contact pin for the brake connection was not installed in the trailer connector. The kit even had a written warning from MBUSA not to connect brakes to the vehicle. Of course, they subsequently saw the stupidity of that, and designed a wiring harness for a brake controller. I don't believe there is any official "upgrade kit" to go from your 2002 trailer wiring to the new one.

I put a contact pin in my trailer connector, and ran a wire to the passenger glovebox, and put the brake controller in there. It's not something that you really need to have on display all the time. MBUSA runs their harness to the drivers side, so you can put the controller by your right knee.
#19792 - in reply to #19752
Author
Posted 6/6/2006 6:10 PM
W5YK
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2002 G500, Unimog U2450,

I looked at those photos - you have a lot of non-Mercedes wiring in there. Did someone install some after-market stuff for you?
#19797 - in reply to #19752
Author
Posted 6/6/2006 6:43 PM
mb230s

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G-less for now, vintage MBs, FJ40

I provided images of every page of the install document in one of those links. I think if you compare those documents to the install document for the additional harness Harald got from his contacts in Germany (also in one of those links) it should be very easy to retrofit a trailer wiring harness with the missing plug to include the 51 plug. The part # I provided for the electric brake harness is accurate.  Just a theory on my part, I think it should work.

That wiring mess isn't standard. Installing the trailer wiring is a simple "plug and play" operation. Even if we didn't have the stupid electronic nannies in these trucks I wouldn't be happy with whoever did that work be it a 2002 or 1979 model.

(One more thing - I don't think the plug is stamped with 51.  You need to read the install docs.)

EDIT - AGAIN

Kerr - the 51 connector is shown in at least 1/2 of your photos including the very first one.  I don't know how you could miss it.  It has 2 red wires to it and shaped like a T.  Buy the extra wiring harness and install it.:banghead:

Here is the manual and a picture w/ my 51 connector

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/g-class/1164844-2002-usa-g500-hitch-install.html?highlight=hitch

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachments/g-class/15106-2002-usa-g500-hitch-install-30_1173188_111200434618pm.jpg?d=0

Edited by mb230s 6/6/2006 7:02 PM
#19805 - in reply to #19752
Author
Posted 6/7/2006 9:33 AM
KERR

W5YK - 6/6/2006 6:10 PM

I looked at those photos - you have a lot of non-Mercedes wiring in there. Did someone install some after-market stuff for you?

No that's all the work from mb. we traced it down last night, and the cut wires go to the reverse light and tag lights. This is Mercedes way of fixing there mistake. When they installed the trailer hitch and wiring, they pinched the wire with the bumper. So instead of buying a new wiring harness they cut and taped the wires together. High quality work I tell yea.

Kerr - the 51 connector is shown in at least 1/2 of your photos including the very first one. I don't know how you could miss it. It has 2 red wires to it and shaped like a T. Buy the extra wiring harness and install it.:banghead:

Yes you are correct, I told you sometimes I thin im retarded. I printed out all the documents you posted and started working with it again. I guess MB shafted on the wiring that connects to the "51". I'm going to go by there today and order the missing part so I get a trailer brake controller.

On a side note did you all use the automatic ones or the massive adjustable ones. The Trailer place in town suggested the ones the adjust by them self because of the "light" loads we will be pulling. They said there is no reason to spend a few hundred dollars on one that can be manually adjusted from the cab.

Thanks again for you help.

Edited by KERR 6/7/2006 9:38 AM
#20048 - in reply to #19797
Author
Posted 6/7/2006 2:16 PM
KERR

Ok I went to the dealer, they said it looks like the tech. forgot to plug in the mystery wire. They also said this is guy that half ass ed my wires in the back. He no longer works there. So im assuming after the hitch was installed is when I lost my rear fog, reverse, and tag lights. I'm guessing that he took this part when he half way fixed my problem.

No onto the other problem.

Part number 000-545-89-03 is for the fuse cover to the wires im looking for. The parts guys ( Porsche guy, Mercedes man is out of town ) said he could not find the part number for the wire im missing. So by chance do any of you have the other number.

Also from speaking with a technician he said as you all have this Mystery wire plugs into (51) on this end and runs to a fuse to power the brake controller, it also has the plug that plugs into the brake controller so it will work together. So I was wondering if this becomes to much of a pain in the butt could I not just hook the brake controller into the "51" wire and run my own power and ground wire to fuese under the dash and get the same result?
#20143 - in reply to #19752
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1