Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Need to confirm electrical diagram legend understanding

Page 1 of 1 1
Need to confirm electrical diagram legend understanding
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/11/2006 11:50 AM
Ze Bocaina

Date registered: Dec 1899
Need to confirm electrical diagram legend understanding

I wanna know if i understand well the attached pic.

Some help is needed of course.

E 30/31/32 yellow lights situated on the console swithes that indicate the lock process start.

S 93/94/95 ..are the swithes in the middle console ( where we press to lock diffs)

S 96/97/98 .. are the swithes in the middle console too , but the lock test parts.

S 96/97/98 E1...The red light the confirm the diffs are locked

Thats right?

Thanks for any help

(Diff Lock legendGE 300.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Diff Lock legendGE 300.jpg (45KB - 11 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/11/2006 3:14 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
RE: Need to confirm electrical diagram legend understanding

Correction: S96, S97, S98 are the detector switches in the lock mechanisms. These close when the lock is actually engaged. A wire then goes from each of these switches up to a light on the dash. These lights are probably integrated with the diff lock switches.
#21465 - in reply to #21440
Author
Posted 6/11/2006 5:24 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

I don't know why they chose to label them S9xe1, other than to indicate that the bulb goes with the switch. The bulbs have to be in the dash of in the locker switch. The switches are on the locker cylinders (easy to see if crawl under the truck).

Do you have a single locker switch assembly in the center of the dash? Or, do you have three seperate switches, one for each locker? The assembly has a seperate pin on the back for each red light. Either way the current path is simple Battery+ to one side of red light, wire to switch, ground on other side of switch.
#21475 - in reply to #21465
Author
Posted 6/11/2006 7:02 PM
nadd
Expert

Vehicle(s): G500 2016 LHD, numerous Chevys
Re: Need to confirm electrical diagram legend understanding

A neat touch (at least on my year model) is that Graz labelled all the plugs that go into the switches (or most, some seem to have fallen off), starting at the left, with the rear wiper, number 1, to the extreme right (hazard I think), number 10 or something.
The diff locks are labelled 4 5 6 I think, from top to bottom.
Easily confused even WITH numbering, I managed to switch the top two putting it back together.
#21492 - in reply to #21440
Author
Posted 6/12/2006 11:50 AM
AlanMcR
Expert

That looks like the same locker module that comes in the later trucks. I think that the guts of the module changed somewhere in the mid 90's (94?). The current module has some digital logic in it to enforce a Center->Rear->Front engagement order. Your locker module may allow any order of engagement/disengagement.
#21714 - in reply to #21475
Author
Posted 6/12/2006 3:02 PM
mortinson
Expert

Vehicle(s): '98 G300TD LWB, '98 E300TD Saloon

AlanMcR - 6/12/2006 5:50 PM

That looks like the same locker module that comes in the later trucks. I think that the guts of the module changed somewhere in the mid 90's (94?). The current module has some digital logic in it to enforce a Center->Rear->Front engagement order. Your locker module may allow any order of engagement/disengagement.

No, the earlier model only allows the same sequence in locker activation as later models (centre-rear-front).

The main difference is that the switches in the earlier model are toggle switches as opposed to touch-sensing activation.

Regards,
#21782 - in reply to #21714
Author
Posted 6/12/2006 9:54 PM
fernweh

Vehicle(s): Few Mercedes-Benz, a Toyota Amphibious and a Vespa

Ze,

when you want to activate the diff locks and you push the switches (S93/94/95) on, the yellow lights (E30/31/32) will come on, indicating the switchen are on and calling for the diff locks to engage. The other switches (S 96/97/98) are , as Alan mentioned, located at the each of the diff lock actuators. These switches/contacts are closed(to ground) mechanically by the diff locks when they are fully engaged and the red lights (S96e1,S97e1,S98e1) come on - thus giving a real affirmative function indication.
The red lights may stay on even when the switches (S93/94/95) are turned off until the diff locks are fully disengaged - might have to drive a bit back and forward and/or right and left - NOT on a hard surface!
The sequence center/rear/front and turn off ABS are controlled by relay logic with an additional timer relay for certain situations.

BTW these indicator lamps are 1,2 W lamps not LED's

Nadd - I did the same thing, managed to interchange some plugs from diff lock switches - but did not want to test it turning the ignition on with the airbag disconnected.....

Karl
#22010 - in reply to #21475
Author
Posted 6/12/2006 10:55 PM
fernweh

Vehicle(s): Few Mercedes-Benz, a Toyota Amphibious and a Vespa
Re: Need to confirm electrical diagram legend understanding

Ze,

a good mechanic can look at the wiring diagram and figure out what is supposed to transpire........
I found a brocken 6mm plastic vacuum line in front of the battery - no diff locks were working, so check also all the vacuum lines. It is not just mileage but also component life (age) what gnaws on our beloved vehicle. The ridgid plastic lines can get very brittle and snap like that.....

If you find the wire going to the diff actuator, remove and hold it to ground - and with the ignition switch on, the red light for that diff lock switch should come on - if the yellow one lights up instead - the harness plugs behind the diff lock switches are interchanged/messed up.

Good luck and keep us informed,

Karl
#22082 - in reply to #21440
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1