Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Lowering the ML

Page 1 of 1 1
Lowering the ML
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/11/2006 10:43 PM
Darkmann

Date registered: Dec 1899
Lowering the ML

I may lower mine a couple of inches if I do get the 19" rims I'm looking for. I plan to go the torsion bar route. What is the bad about this? Handling penalties? Suspension woes? Is this a DIY - special tools? or will my dealer do it (they may say it'll void the warranty!!!). Any publication on this? Anyway, does MB even approve of this?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/11/2006 11:02 PM
ttaleric

Re: Lowering the ML

How low?
#21578 - in reply to #21565
Author
Posted 6/11/2006 11:03 PM
ttaleric

couple = ? 3 ? 4 ? Slam?!?
#21579 - in reply to #21565
Author
Posted 6/11/2006 11:07 PM
patrick

RE: Lowering the ML

Hi Darkmann,
I am thinking the same thing myself, just got the info from wolfgang (thanks!) and wondering too if it will have any negative side effects.

my reason for lowering is simply for easier access into the truck, whats yours?

also, it is stated that it willonly lower the truck by one inch, what other ways are there to do this inexpensively?
#21585 - in reply to #21565
Author
Posted 6/11/2006 11:30 PM
MLOffRoad

You will have better handling on-road but you will have a harsher ride... You can do this yourself it is extremely easy. You just need to turn the torsion bolts located beneath your truck under the B-pillars.

Edited by MLOffRoad 6/11/2006 11:30 PM
#21601 - in reply to #21565
Author
Posted 6/12/2006 12:07 AM
sin0822

mloffroad, do you have liek specifics on how to do this? and how to do it correctly?
#21625 - in reply to #21565
Author
Posted 6/12/2006 12:10 AM
Noodles

Just make sure each bar is adjusted exactly the same number of turns. I used a punch tool to mark the bolt and then the housing around the bolt on each side so that it was accurate to within 1º on the rotations. Only a 1/4 turn off can cause alignment problems that won't be noticable until unusual wear is showing on the tires.
#21633 - in reply to #21565
Author
Posted 6/12/2006 2:04 AM
pleubner

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): ML270CDI Brabus-W163,SL55 AMG-R230,ML320 CDI-W164

Don't do it!

I have a lowered ML , but I think the point of a SUV is the Offroad qualities

..... why would you want to turn it into a onroad only vehicle?

..... I only noticed mine was lowered when parking next to another ML.

I am looking at raising mine again ... then lifting it probably !

#21649 - in reply to #21633
Author
Posted 6/12/2006 5:48 AM
Darkmann

Just a couple of inches. The reason fo doing this is becasue I'll stick in a set of 19 inchers soon (will post pics) and I don't want the truck sitting like a Kangaroo!!!
#21662 - in reply to #21579
Author
Posted 6/12/2006 5:49 AM
Darkmann

Thanks MLOffroad. Is it a clockwise/counter clockwise turn? And does one turn the nut to do thid? Does this lower both ends or just the front?
#21663 - in reply to #21601
Author
Posted 6/12/2006 5:53 AM
Darkmann

pleubner - 6/12/2006 2:04 AM

Don't do it!

I have a lowered ML , but I think the point of a SUV is the Offroad qualities

..... why would you want to turn it into a onroad only vehicle?

..... I only noticed mine was lowered when parking next to another ML.

I am looking at raising mine again ... then lifting it probably !

Point well taken, Pleubner. Unfortunately, through both MLs that I have owned, the most off road I've done is driving through ligh snow in my driveway. Then I pulled my Z car that was stuck in mud in my yard!!! So, the off-roading part of it doesn't bother me. I just think the truck has too much gap between the tires and the fender flares. Over time, I will go with springs, but for now, I'd like to see what the torsion bars can do. And besides, if it doesn't work right, I can always reverse the process.
#21664 - in reply to #21649
Author
Posted 6/12/2006 7:49 AM
ttaleric

Just a couple of inches. The reason fo doing this is becasue I'll stick in a set of 19 inchers soon (will post pics) and I don't want the truck sitting like a Kangaroo!!!

LOL  

#21679 - in reply to #21565
Author
Posted 6/12/2006 7:40 PM
MLOffRoad

Darkmann - 6/12/2006 5:49 AM

Thanks MLOffroad. Is it a clockwise/counter clockwise turn? And does one turn the nut to do thid? Does this lower both ends or just the front?

Yup, clockwise/counterclockwise... it will only lower the front. To lower the rear you must purchase lowering springs.
#21929 - in reply to #21663
Author
Posted 6/13/2006 4:07 PM
rudeney

I lowered my front end by adjusting the torsion bars.  I did this primarily because I was having some suspension issues and wanted to see if a change in height would make a difference.  Also, my ML always looked like the front end sat higher than the rear, and measuring from the top of the tires to the bottom of the fender opening proved it.

I did some experimenting and found that from where I started, I was able to lower the front end by 2 inches, and there was still travel left.  Each 360-degree turn of the bolt is about 1/8 inch in height change.  IIRC, you turn the bolt clockwise (i.e. tighten) to lower, and counter-clockwise (i.e. loosen) to raise it.  I could have that backwards, though, as I tend to get “disoriented” when lying on my back underneath a car.

I ended up lowering mine about 1.5 inches.  I have not noticed any significant change in ride, although it “feels” like it “might” corner just a little better.  The only adverse effect has been the that the blasted mud flaps are now closer to the ground so they sometimes drag over speed bumps.  If I didn’t need them to keep the crap off my shiny stainless steel nerf bars, I would remove them.

As for warnings about alignment and such, I wouldn’t worry too much.  The ML uses a double-wishbone suspension, which keeps the tires perpendicular to the ground at any travel position.  Of course any significant difference in height from left to right can negatively affect handling, but we’re talking in terms of more than 1/8 of an inch, not single degrees of rotation on the adjustment bolts.  After all, the truck will “drop” a 1/8 inch on the driver’s side when a 200lb person sit in the seat without a corresponding person on the passenger’s side.

#22432 - in reply to #21565
Author
Posted 6/14/2006 6:40 PM
Darkmann

rudeney - 6/13/2006 4:07 PM

I lowered my front end by adjusting the torsion bars. I did this primarily because I was having some suspension issues and wanted to see if a change in height would make a difference. Also, my ML always looked like the front end sat higher than the rear, and measuring from the top of the tires to the bottom of the fender opening proved it.

I did some experimenting and found that from where I started, I was able to lower the front end by 2 inches, and there was still travel left. Each 360-degree turn of the bolt is about 1/8 inch in height change. IIRC, you turn the bolt clockwise (i.e. tighten) to lower, and counter-clockwise (i.e. loosen) to raise it. I could have that backwards, though, as I tend to get “disoriented” when lying on my back underneath a car.

I ended up lowering mine about 1.5 inches. I have not noticed any significant change in ride, although it “feels” like it “might” corner just a little better. The only adverse effect has been the that the blasted mud flaps are now closer to the ground so they sometimes drag over speed bumps. If I didn’t need them to keep the crap off my shiny stainless steel nerf bars, I would remove them.

As for warnings about alignment and such, I wouldn’t worry too much. The ML uses a double-wishbone suspension, which keeps the tires perpendicular to the ground at any travel position. Of course any significant difference in height from left to right can negatively affect handling, but we’re talking in terms of more than 1/8 of an inch, not single degrees of rotation on the adjustment bolts. After all, the truck will “drop” a 1/8 inch on the driver’s side when a 200lb person sit in the seat without a corresponding person on the passenger’s side.

Thanks rudeny. Did you just lower the front to level with the rear or did you also do the rear - springs? It's quite comforting to know that no handling problems will result. I just put on a set of Monet Gothics, 19x9.5 with some beefy Continentals on the truck. When you see the pics, you'll understand why I would like to lower it.
#23083 - in reply to #22432
Author
Posted 6/14/2006 7:28 PM
pleubner

Don't forget harolds has a little info on this on his site! Especially the torsion bar diagrams !.

http://www.4x4abc.com/ML320/ml320_torsion.html

(01.JPG)

(torsion - 03.jpg)

(torsion - 04.jpg)

(torsion.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 01.JPG (20KB - 7 downloads)
Attachments torsion - 03.jpg (191KB - 7 downloads)
Attachments torsion - 04.jpg (81KB - 7 downloads)
Attachments torsion.jpg (22KB - 6 downloads)
#23104 - in reply to #21565
Author
Posted 6/14/2006 7:51 PM
pleubner

Good tip from someone else is to mark the bolt and the body so that both markins align (red - on - red ?) . Then you have complete control for the exact position of  each 360 degrees turn.  Another option would be to measure with a fine gauge as per my second pic!.

(x.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments x.jpg (26KB - 11 downloads)
#23123 - in reply to #21565
Author
Posted 6/14/2006 7:57 PM
pleubner

Some of that grease to stop the creaking! ... applied to bolt 16c in the above pic.....

(x.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments x.jpg (5KB - 3 downloads)
#23129 - in reply to #21565
Author
Posted 6/15/2006 10:16 PM
Darkmann

Pleubner, you just come up with these ever so useful information everytime. Thanks a lot buddy. Now I see much clearer what the deal is. Any idea why Mb designed this into the ML? Seems like they anticipated mods like this?
#23631 - in reply to #23129
Author
Posted 6/15/2006 11:45 PM
pleubner

HUH, No we will have to ask our  "ML" Archiologist "Wolf" on that one!. If I'm correct he also has a link on his online "Museum" 

In his collection of excavation material he must have info on something like design, roadmap of manufacture, etc....

(08a.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 08a.jpg (53KB - 4 downloads)
#23665 - in reply to #23631
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1