Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Tailgate Alignment

Page 1 of 1 1
Tailgate Alignment
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/13/2006 8:39 PM
03-Gwagen
Elite Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): CLK63 Black Series, 2018 G63, 2016 GLE300d
Tailgate Alignment

My tailgate hinge seals failed and were replaced by the dealer.

Now the door is aligned to far to the door catch.

It is forcing the gasket out the through the gap and the door alignment fitting is rubbing the plastic block because the door is too close.

Wis is pretty vague on hinge alignment. There are 3 bolts inside the door on each hinge. Do I loosen these bolts to align the door? What is the proper torque of the bolts? Can an amateur do an alignment without doing more damage or getting into trouble?

Is this a job to stay away from?

Dealers s..ck. They destroy everything. But on the other hand, if Mercedes built it right the first time, I wouldn't need to give the dealer the opportunity to do more damage than in one visit than I did in nearly 4 years. JMO.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/13/2006 11:45 PM
Rick

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 1985 300GD

RE: Tailgate Alignment

The rear door is supported by two hinges, top and bottom,each with 3 support bolts. These hinges bolts are located under the trim panel. It is not a terrible job, but care must be used when removing the trim panel. I find that if the tilt of the door, or left - right adjustments, are at issue, it is better to loosen one hinge at a time, then retighten before working on the other hinge. You make fine adjustments until spacing and door closing is acceptable. Often, loosening the door catch helps in order to perform the alighnment and then after the door is centered, reset and adjust the door latch. Torque the hinge bolts "firm and tight" with a 3/8" drive standard length rachet handle.

Of course-- if this door was not alighned properly during the repair, taking it back for re-adjustment should be a consideration--
#22742 - in reply to #22611
Author
Posted 6/14/2006 1:00 AM
AlanMcR
Expert

Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
RE: Tailgate Alignment - I'm confused

Replacing the hinge seals doesn't involve any hinge adjustments. The seals simply slip around the gap between the hinge and the body panel. What did they do?!? Move the hinge? The original hinge position should be recorded in compressed paint and dirt marks. Have them return the door to it's original position. Then a wack on each hand with a ruler for stupidity.
#22766 - in reply to #22611
Author
Posted 6/14/2006 8:47 AM
03-Gwagen
Elite Veteran

Rick - 6/13/2006 11:45 PM

The rear door is supported by two hinges, top and bottom,each with 3 support bolts. These hinges bolts are located under the trim panel. It is not a terrible job, but care must be used when removing the trim panel. I find that if the tilt of the door, or left - right adjustments, are at issue, it is better to loosen one hinge at a time, then retighten before working on the other hinge. You make fine adjustments until spacing and door closing is acceptable. Often, loosening the door catch helps in order to perform the alighnment and then after the door is centered, reset and adjust the door latch. Torque the hinge bolts "firm and tight" with a 3/8" drive standard length rachet handle.

Of course-- if this door was not alighned properly during the repair, taking it back for re-adjustment should be a consideration--

Thanks Rick. You make it sound simple. I can visualize what you are talking about. I have had the side door inside panels off before. No problem.

I would have let the dealer do it, but in the past two services they have done more damage than good. I am not returning to that dealer. They only worry about selling cars not servicing them. And with the flat rate system, techs just don't take the time to attend to details.
#22844 - in reply to #22742
Author
Posted 6/14/2006 9:00 AM
03-Gwagen
Elite Veteran

RE: Tailgate Alignment - I'm confused

AlanMcR - 6/14/2006 1:00 AM

Replacing the hinge seals doesn't involve any hinge adjustments. The seals simply slip around the gap between the hinge and the body panel. What did they do?!? Move the hinge? The original hinge position should be recorded in compressed paint and dirt marks. Have them return the door to it's original position. Then a wack on each hand with a ruler for stupidity.

Alan, they actually replaced the hingles because the inner seals or bushings came apart . When they put the new hinges on, they just didn't align the door.
#22846 - in reply to #22766
Author
Posted 6/14/2006 10:44 AM
dai
Expert

Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F
Re: Tailgate Alignment

There is no reason to replace the hinges. Mine are over 20 years old and work perfectly. They are greasable. Hinge replacement involves color matiching the paint. Take it back and have them allign the door correctly or ask them to pay a good body shop to get it right. I adjusted mine by supporting the open door with a jack to carry the weight it as I fine tuned the closing fit. Did they hand you the hinges they removed? You might need them in 35 years.

-Dai
#22857 - in reply to #22611
Author
Posted 6/14/2006 10:53 AM
03-Gwagen
Elite Veteran

My hinges were shot. They lasted a little over 3 years. You could barely open and close the tailgate.

I can only wish they were durable like yours.

You can see the seal coming out of the joint in the pic.

New hinges are non greasable.

Edited by 03-Gwagen 6/14/2006 10:55 AM

(Picture 1056.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Picture 1056.jpg (33KB - 8 downloads)
#22862 - in reply to #22857
Author
Posted 6/14/2006 11:41 PM
dai
Expert

Vehicle(s): 300GD 300TD BMW R100RS Landini 80F

That is just grim. If I owned one of those I would drill a hole in the center section and install a fitting that would allow grease service. This was discussed on the other forum for the side door hinges and went into detail about how to do it. Eric did this to his I think and the same should be possible with the rear door hinges. Sorry you had an early failure. I was thinking along the same lines as Alan, that your issue was the body to hinge seal, not the seals in the hinges themselves. I wouldn't have dreamed they would die after a couple of years. They carry a lot of load with the spare on the back but the old hinges are up to the task. I would bother the dealer until they get it right.

-Dai
#23190 - in reply to #22862
Author
Posted 6/15/2006 5:27 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
Grease Zirks

dai - 6/14/2006 11:41 PM

That is just grim. If I owned one of those I would drill a hole in the center section and install a fitting that would allow grease service. This was discussed on the other forum for the side door hinges and went into detail about how to do it. Eric did this to his I think and the same should be possible with the rear door hinges.

-Dai

He did, but I don't think he was able to force any grease into the assembly.
#23298 - in reply to #23190
Author
Posted 6/15/2006 8:23 AM
MarcO
Elite Veteran

Vehicle(s): G 500 SWB, Volvo XC90 V8

If it makes any of us feel better, one of my '02's had this same problem. The now-defunct gray one and the interesting thing is the chipped paint on the hinge knuckle was identical as I recall. My other G's never displayed this. The hinges were shot and replaced on the gray G prior to its early demise. There is no paint failure on the six other rear door hinges that I currently own. No repaints either.
#23329 - in reply to #22611
Author
Posted 6/16/2006 9:27 PM
03-Gwagen
Elite Veteran

Rick - 6/13/2006 11:45 PM

Rick, should I remove the spare tire or leave it on the door while adjusting?

It seems to me, that it would be much more difficult to adjust with all that weight.

thanks.
#24054 - in reply to #22742
Author
Posted 6/17/2006 9:45 AM
Rick

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 1985 300GD

You need the adjustment to be in the wieght and configuration which the vehicle will be operating. Yes- do it with the spare in place. Also-- be sure the vehicle is fairly close to level and not on an uneven surface.
#24225 - in reply to #22611
Author
Posted 6/17/2006 6:13 PM
03-Gwagen
Elite Veteran

Thanks for the info.

I did it today. It was pretty straightforward.

I had to remove the tire to adjust it. It wouldn't budge enough with the tire on.

I had to loosen the guides and remove the door check.

While I was in there applied a coat of liquid rustproofing wax to the inner door.

AlanMcR was right. It was obvious where the old hinges were correctly mounted. Seeing this helped target me.

Thanks all.

#24316 - in reply to #24225
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1