Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Where Does MB Get Their Stats??

Page 1 of 1 1
Where Does MB Get Their Stats??
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/15/2006 8:19 AM
Thai

Date registered: Dec 1899
Where Does MB Get Their Stats??

Hey all,

As you may know, i have always wondered where Mercedes get their stats on our 463 G-wagens. The MBUSA brochure lists ground clearance to be 8.3" and angles of 36/27 (approach/departure). Recently, i was looking at an old picture that we all have seen: (see below for a bigger pic)

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachments/g-class/23511-breakover...

Well, if you look at the left lower corner of the pic, then you will see that the specs for the pic is for a G with 255/65/16 (29") tires. If you convert mm to inches, then you will see that MBUSA measurements are very close (if not same) as these measurements.

So, current G-wagens come with 265/60/18 tires which is equal to 31" tires. So, if you were to add 1" to the height (due to larger stock tires) of the G in the picture above, then you will come up with a ground clearance that is much closer to what i actually measured on my G...9.3" inches (i measured 9.4").

In addition, our approach/breakover/departure angles will be around 36/25/31. This is confirmed in my off-roading where i felt that my departure angle is significantly better than 27" degrees quoted in the brochure. My friend's 4runner has 26 degree of departure...and i don't scratch my back nearly as much as him.

So, basically, Mercedes messed up on the stats in the MBUSA brochure. MB does not really care about G500's off-road stats...it is clearly not MB's priority.

G-wagens are MB's bastard stepchild!

Edited by Thai 6/15/2006 8:35 AM

(G-angles.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments G-angles.jpg (77KB - 9 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/15/2006 8:38 AM
Thai

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: Where Does MB Get Their Stats??

These were my measurements on my G:

Ground clearance from:

Both Axle pumpkins (lowest point) = 9.4"
Trailing arm attachment point to axle (next lowest pt) = 11"
Front skidplate = 12"
Frame = 12.7"
Stock Running boad = 13"
SafariGard sliders (in place of running boards) = 13.7"

Note: my tires are 265/70/16 which are equal to stock size.

Edited by Thai 6/15/2006 8:38 AM
#23331 - in reply to #23328
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1