Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : M. Gun door locks Other Possibility

Page 1 of 1 1
M. Gun door locks Other Possibility
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/17/2006 11:47 AM
phoenix44

Date registered: Dec 1899
M. Gun door locks Other Possibility

I removed my door liner to see if I could fix a door ding from the inside. However, I had to remove it again, as I had not properly reattached the door lock pin, the result was the infamous Machine gun door lock. So just an FYI, if you have the door lock problem and have had the door liner removed for what ever reason, just make sure that the problem is not as simple as the door lock pin not being clipped back in properly. I re did the install and it is fine now.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/17/2006 12:12 PM
pleubner

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): ML270CDI Brabus-W163,SL55 AMG-R230,ML320 CDI-W164
RE: M. Gun door locks Other Possibility

Pics , Pics, Pics .... heh,heh.... at the moment I am having a hard time figuring out my bumper setup..... Wish someone else would do a ML55 bumper update writeup with detailed pictures.....

Trying to figure out those vertical brackets.... almost got it sorted!.... and the bloody SA put half of my ordered parts into one big plastic bag .... WOW .... no I feel like "Borest Gump" - Life's like a box of ......  you never know what .....

#24243 - in reply to #24238
Author
Posted 6/17/2006 12:20 PM
phoenix44

pleubner - 6/17/2006 12:12 PM

Pics , Pics, Pics .... heh,heh.... at the moment I am having a hard time figuring out my bumper setup..... Wish someone else would do a ML55 bumper update writeup with detailed pictures.....

Trying to figure out those vertical brackets.... almost got it sorted!.... and the bloody SA put half of my ordered parts into one big plastic bag .... WOW .... no I feel like "Borest Gump" - Life's like a box of ......  you never know what .....

Ah, it took like 10 min. If you are good, and have another cartoon, I'll remove it again and take some pics

Sponsor my wife's and every other woman's breasts and sponsor her walk for a cure

Edited by phoenix44 6/17/2006 12:21 PM
#24245 - in reply to #24243
Author
Posted 6/17/2006 2:22 PM
Mklasse

phoenix44 - 6/17/2006 10:47 PM I removed my door liner to see if I could fix a door ding from the inside. However, I had to remove it again, as I had not properly reattached the door lock pin, the result was the infamous Machine gun door lock. So just an FYI, if you have the door lock problem and have had the door liner removed for what ever reason, just make sure that the problem is not as simple as the door lock pin not being clipped back in properly. I re did the install and it is fine now. :)

Did you fix the ding?

#24272 - in reply to #24238
Author
Posted 6/17/2006 2:34 PM
phoenix44

Mklasse - 6/17/2006 2:22 PM

phoenix44 - 6/17/2006 10:47 PM I removed my door liner to see if I could fix a door ding from the inside. However, I had to remove it again, as I had not properly reattached the door lock pin, the result was the infamous Machine gun door lock. So just an FYI, if you have the door lock problem and have had the door liner removed for what ever reason, just make sure that the problem is not as simple as the door lock pin not being clipped back in properly. I re did the install and it is fine now. :)

Did you fix the ding?

No, there is a double wall to the outer skin of the door. If the access was easier, I might try to drill through the inner skin, although, it seems as though there are only a couple of mm between the two....balls of steel and all that to try I would think. Problem is, there is also an inner shell for the window hardware etc.

I was able to pull some of the ding out with a plunger of all things, now if only linda lovelace or her more modern equivalent were here, it's about the right size, just needs some rather strong suction focused in one area...
#24274 - in reply to #24272
Author
Posted 6/17/2006 3:44 PM
phoenix44

pleubner - 6/17/2006 3:16 PM

I'm taking your word up on this one mate!!!!

Does that include the sponsorship..

The liner has already been off and on twice, as I did not hook up the lock pin properly the first time, only have three clips left, broke the others.....

Edited by phoenix44 6/17/2006 3:45 PM
#24299 - in reply to #24245
Author
Posted 6/17/2006 5:39 PM
pleubner

I'm taking your word on this one mate!....

(13a.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 13a.jpg (83KB - 6 downloads)
#24314 - in reply to #24238
Author
Posted 6/18/2006 1:08 AM
ttaleric

Re: M. Gun door locks Other Possibility

LOL
#24363 - in reply to #24238
Author
Posted 6/19/2006 4:30 PM
rudeney

phoenix44 - 6/17/2006 1:34

No, there is a double wall to the outer skin of the door. If the access was easier, I might try to drill through the inner skin, although, it seems as though there are only a couple of mm between the two....balls of steel and all that to try I would think. Problem is, there is also an inner shell for the window hardware etc. I was able to pull some of the ding out with a plunger of all things, now if only linda lovelace or her more modern equivalent were here, it's about the right size, just needs some rather strong suction focused in one area...

???  The doors on my ML are not double-walled!  There is a hefty sheet of dynomat-like sound deadening in there, but not another layer of steel.  AFAIK, no modern MBZ vehicle has double-walled steel doors (I’ve seen too many dings removed by the dent guy for them to be this way).

#24788 - in reply to #24274
Author
Posted 6/24/2006 8:51 AM
phoenix44

rudeney - 6/19/2006 4:30 PM

phoenix44 - 6/17/2006 1:34

No, there is a double wall to the outer skin of the door. If the access was easier, I might try to drill through the inner skin, although, it seems as though there are only a couple of mm between the two....balls of steel and all that to try I would think. Problem is, there is also an inner shell for the window hardware etc. I was able to pull some of the ding out with a plunger of all things, now if only linda lovelace or her more modern equivalent were here, it's about the right size, just needs some rather strong suction focused in one area...

???  The doors on my ML are not double-walled!  There is a hefty sheet of dynomat-like sound deadening in there, but not another layer of steel.  AFAIK, no modern MBZ vehicle has double-walled steel doors (I’ve seen too many dings removed by the dent guy for them to be this way).

I could have sworn that there was an inner liner of some sort of metal. I took the door liner off, pealed off the sticky stuff, and I could put my finger were the ding is, but I could not feel it. When I tapped on the door from the inside, there was no sing of movement on the outer skin. ??
#26085 - in reply to #24788
Author
Posted 6/26/2006 5:23 PM
rudeney

phoenix44 - 6/24/2006 7:51 AM

I could have sworn that there was an inner liner of some sort of metal. I took the door liner off, pealed off the sticky stuff, and I could put my finger were the ding is, but I could not feel it. When I tapped on the door from the inside, there was no sing of movement on the outer skin. ??

There are side-impact beams and some extra sheet metal where the window regulator and other components attach.  Maybe the dent was behind one of those? 

#26733 - in reply to #26085
Author
Posted 6/26/2006 5:46 PM
phoenix44

rudeney - 6/26/2006 5:23 PM

phoenix44 - 6/24/2006 7:51 AM

There are side-impact beams and some extra sheet metal where the window regulator and other components attach.  Maybe the dent was behind one of those? 

Does not feel thick enough to be a beam? The ding is at the mid point of the door, there is is sheet metal for the window hardware, but that is a couple of inches away from the out door skin?
#26743 - in reply to #26733
Author
Posted 6/26/2006 6:02 PM
pleubner

My inside looks like this. Thats the beam rodney's talking about I guess. It's like a metal bar running horiztonally along the middle of the door. I got the screw from the door handle lost (jammed) in the gap between it and the door outside shell metal.

You can see here the section the outside side trim clips into .

(a0214.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments a0214.jpg (78KB - 2 downloads)
#26744 - in reply to #26743
Author
Posted 6/26/2006 7:14 PM
phoenix44

pleubner - 6/26/2006 6:02 PM

My inside looks like this. Thats the beam rodney's talking about I guess. It's like a metal bar running horiztonally along the middle of the door. I got the screw from the door handle lost (jammed) in the gap between it and the door outside shell metal.

You can see here the section the outside side trim clips into .

Thanks for the photo!! Is that a loose screw I see?
#26765 - in reply to #26744
Author
Posted 6/27/2006 6:52 AM
OZlander

Re: M. Gun door locks Other Possibility

If only they did have a double skin they wouldn't sound like a tin can when you close the door.

The old 123s used to have an inner and outer skin mounted on a door frame that took the loads. Not cheap to build but really strong. Made a noise like a vault door closing.
#26875 - in reply to #24238
Author
Posted 6/28/2006 7:05 AM
pleubner

phoenix44, LOL

Whose, Lose, Screws? .....:biggrin:

#27132 - in reply to #24238