Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Roadster Forums : R171 SLK Class : Give Me a "Brake,"---Just Not by Wire!!!

Page 1 of 1 1
Give Me a "Brake,"---Just Not by Wire!!!
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/19/2006 9:06 AM
Dinoman

Date registered: Dec 1899
Give Me a "Brake,"---Just Not by Wire!!!

I am very grateful that the SLK is not equipped with Sensotronic brakes (electronic brake-by-wire). I don't like the sometimes touchy engagement that they provide, usually at low speeds. There is, however, a better reason for my gratitude. Several weeks ago, I received a recall notice for my SL 500's brakes. I brought the car in for the recall, as well as a regular service, and was told that the car would be ready at the end of the day. I drove back to the dealer in rush hour traffic, only to find that the car was not ready (they tried to reach me before I left the house, but missed me, and I didn't have my phone with me). I was told that everything was done, the car had been reassembled, then the brakes locked, and they were awaiting instructions from MB. The service advisor implied that the cause was unknown. It turns out that the Sensotronic pump failed on the lift, triggering a locking of the brakes and a warning not to drive the vehicle (how could you, with locked brakes?). The service manager told me this morning that a new pump had to be installed, and MB had to give permission for the "procurement" of the unit. It is in the process of being installed at present. I asked what would happen after expiration of the warranty. Would I be presented with a big bill for another pump? He told me that, if that occurred, they would work out some "goodwill" arrangement with MB. Still, I don't like the idea of potentially having to rely on the "kindness" of MB. I'll take good old-fashioned full hydraulic brakes, any day! Dinoman
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/19/2006 5:44 PM
mtiede

RE: Give Me a "Brake,"---Just Not by Wire!!!

The phrase "Get it in writing" comes to mind.
#24813 - in reply to #24669
Author
Posted 6/19/2006 9:20 PM
AsianML

mtiede - 6/19/2006 5:44 PM The phrase "Get it in writing" comes to mind.
That's something many people tend to forget.
#24929 - in reply to #24813
Author
Posted 6/20/2006 8:32 AM
beverage

So what exactly was the car recalled for??? Something to do with the brakes???
#25017 - in reply to #24669
Author
Posted 6/20/2006 9:22 AM
Dinoman

The electronic brake-by-wire Sensotronic system prompted a recall of numerous 2003-'06 E and SL Class and 2006 CLS Class Benzes. In the case of my car, a pump of some sort had to be replaced and, due to the expense involved, MB had to sign off on the replacement before the dealer could proceed with installation. Last year, a pump that closes the decklid had to be replaced. As I mentioned in an earlier post on BW ("Open and Shut"), I imagine that the R171 has the same or a similar pump. The point is, whether it is the complicated SL braking system or the probably even more complicated Vario Roof system, once the warranty is up, we are all mendicants at the feet of Mercedes-Benz. Our two major weapons (assuming that talk doesn't remedy the problem) are the threat of legal action (or a consumer complaint to a public agency) or a prospective boycott of MB vehicles. This is where a good relationship with a responsible dealer becomes important. Still, it doesn't give one much confidence to realize that these not inexpensive vehicles are potential malfunction timebombs waiting to go off. As an attorney with some knowledge of the law of product liability, I can state that no manufacturer (and certainly, no dealer) will give you written "carte blance" to resolve any possible future malfunctions. The only exceptions involve settlements, such as with the replacement of early SLK 350 engines, where long-term warranties may have been extended. I posed the hypothetical to my service manager out of curiosity, due to the widespread nature of the problem, and the pre-eminent importance of a car's braking system. Manufacturers have been held accountable by the federal government for cars whose emissions systems have failed, in situations where an individual owner may not have had any recourse, due to mileage or the passage of time. Since the Sensotronic system is so novel, and the potential for injury is so great, I wondered what MB's attitude might be if a post-warranty problem were to occur. I will cross that bridge if and when I come to it, and hope that the emergency brake will suffice! Dinoman
#25027 - in reply to #25017
Author
Posted 6/20/2006 2:48 PM
Dinoman

I got my car back this noon. I didn't ask many questions, as I had to drop the car off at home, grab the Boxster and get back to work. However, the service advisor who gave me the paperwork mentioned several "campaigns," of which the brake recall was one. In response to one campaign, they installed a new voltage regulator. I don't know whether there is any relation to the brake recall, or whether the new voltage regulator is modified or updated in any way. I am just glad that perceived problems were corrected at MB's direction, and I assume (hope) that the factory is similarly vigilant where the SLK is concerned. I also hope that this is the last recall for the R230. Dinoman
#25111 - in reply to #25027
Author
Posted 6/21/2006 9:28 AM
Duo-Art

Re: Give Me a "Brake,"---Just Not by Wire!!!

I would not keep a car as complex as the SLK beyond its warranty period. For me it would be an extended warranty or a new car.
#25357 - in reply to #24669
Author
Posted 6/21/2006 11:14 AM
Dinoman

Re: Give Me a "Brake,"---Just Not by Wire!!!

I tend to keep cars that I like for a long time (30 years and counting for Dino#1). No long-term warranty will cover that amount of time. I certainly agree with your concerns, Duo-Art. I'd like to hold onto both the SLK and the SL for an extended period, but worry about long-term reliabiltiy. Oh, those lucky R113 (pagoda) and R107 (safety bumpers) owners! They only have to worry about eventual restorations. We, on the other hand, have to be occasionally reflashed! I remember reading over 20 years ago in Road & Track about the future difficulties of restoring a modern automobile. They didn't know the half of it. Just keep plugging in new modules until your bank calls to close your account as seriously overdrawn! Just looking at my service printout is instructive: "Unable to access SBC control unit with SDS. SBC control unit programming error during soft ware installation while performing campaign #20 05110001 caused by faulty SDS compact 3. Unable to finish program. Attempt with other SDS unit failed to regain access to control unit. SBC control unit needs replacement per tac, case #54 6792. Unable to print any documents with control unit data due to inability to gain access with SDS. Replace control unit without documentation per spom. Program new control unit." Even the MB diagnostic equipment is problematic. It's sad to think that our cars are truly disposable, in the final analysis (despite already being environmentally friendly/recyclable). That's a decision for another day, however. Dinoman
#25387 - in reply to #25357
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1