Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : electrical gremlins

Page 1 of 1 1
electrical gremlins
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/19/2006 5:51 PM
termite

Date registered: Dec 1899
electrical gremlins

in the process of selling my '86 230ge and while driving home today, i lost tach, directionals, temp and gas gauges [possible that the truck got wind of the planned upgrade and is rebelling]...the four way flasher works but the aforementioned seem to be on strike...anyone have any ideas?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/19/2006 6:19 PM
ericdab

RE: electrical gremlins

haha! I have that exact gremlin! must be something in the NY air... Anyway, i think i solved my problem today. first, the fuse looked warn so I replaced that. and second I found that under the dash there is what looks like a relay box controling these functions... I tracked the grounds down and tightened them up.... that seemed to do the trick because I haven't seen the problem pop up yet.

-eric
#24837 - in reply to #24821
Author
Posted 6/19/2006 6:19 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: electrical gremlins

termite - 6/19/2006 5:51 PM

in the process of selling my '86 230ge and while driving home today, i lost tach, directionals, temp and gas gauges [possible that the truck got wind of the planned upgrade and is rebelling]...the four way flasher works but the aforementioned seem to be on strike...anyone have any ideas?

Ground point behind the cluster. Very common on the older G's.
#24839 - in reply to #24821
Author
Posted 6/24/2006 11:46 AM
termite

thanks guys, problem solved

tackled the ground issue this a.m. turned out to be a combination of things: the ground bolt behind the dash had some corrosion on it so i cleaned it up and bolted it back together [still no joy]; took the cluster out and cleaned up that multiplug as well [alas, no joy and frustration starting to rise]; finally, take out the fuse for the 4th time and low and behold, this time the end of the fuse just flakes off. new fuse and rapture consoled myself w/ the rationalization that all of the other stuff needed doing anyway...thanks again for the input.
#26130 - in reply to #24821
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1