Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Forbes picks hottest family trucksters

Page 1 of 1 1
Forbes picks hottest family trucksters
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/19/2006 10:50 PM
Mopagi
Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2005 G55K GE
Forbes picks hottest family trucksters

Somethings just never go out of style.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/06/14/forbes-picks-hottest-family-truc...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/20/2006 6:38 AM
G350DT

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: Forbes picks hottest family trucksters

I added my own comment as people seemed to not let the G feel it was worthy of being in the list
If anyone here really had a clue the Mercedes Benz G would shine like no other. Most take stabs at them because they are MB and think that they are only for the very wealthy. Let me tell you out of the top "SUV" out there this is the only one that has ever really been made to go off road in harsh conditions. If you want to look like you play off road get a Subaru, Audi or that thing that Porsche cals a suv.
If you do plan to head onto the rocky, muddy trails then take the TRUE 4X4 the Gwagon
#25002 - in reply to #24954
Author
Posted 6/20/2006 8:38 PM
Fenalaar
Elite Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 2001 ML270CDI, Polaris 400L Big Boss

What nobody seems to mention is the poor cargo space a lot of these smaller SUVs have.

A friend of mine bought himself a Mitsubishi Outlander. I've tested it and it's not bad to drive, but how the heck do the manage to get so little cargo space out of that size car ? The Toyota RAV4 and the Suzuki Gran Vitara's the same. Very large, compared to the cargo capacity they can offer.

My G-wagon offers ooodles of space in camparison.

Johan-Kr
#25255 - in reply to #24954
Author
Posted 6/21/2006 1:07 AM
ewalberg
Expert

Vehicle(s): 2000 g500

yeah, i've got the jump seats in mine which take up space, but in having them, i've had 6 people and all their backpacking backpacks in my car. Tight fit, but pretty amazing all things considered given it's measurably shorter than a subaru outback wagon. The reason many vehicles are so little is because the thin/lightweight designs that crumple require more distance to crumple, and i think also becuase our truck was designed with nothing larger than a basic 280 motor in mind from 1979 so it's really a compact small engine bay. You actually sit quite a bit closer to the front of the car than most vehicles, (the volvo xc90 is an example of a car where they've layed out the motor to move the passengers forward becuase it has a really deep cargo space. So on the g-wagen, take the forward seating and raise it up so you can keep the rear seats close to the front seats, then make the interior-exterior wall thickness much narrower, then make the bumpers offset from the body short, then don't taper the sides of the body toward the roof, then make it 6.5' tall. Voila! Lots of space in something with a surprisingly small footprint. This is one of my favorite things about this truck. can you tell?!?!
#25309 - in reply to #25255
Author
Posted 6/21/2006 7:01 AM
G350DT

Date registered: Dec 1899

Just a note on Gwagon space.
When I or my wonderful wife are putting the kids in the back she can almost stand up in the back and on your knees there is tons of head room (Dutch get your mind out of the gutter)
My 10 yo can stand up in the back.
Try that in a Kia
#25330 - in reply to #24954
Author
Posted 6/21/2006 8:31 AM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 280GE SWB, Toyota Highlander, BMW530i, RR HSE

Just last night I drove my parents' Lexus RX300 to pick them up from the airport . After spending three weeks in Vancouver, BC they had extra luggage. We could barely fit what they had into their RX300.

I could have put all that in the back of my 280G and still be able to see through the rear double windows.
#25346 - in reply to #24954
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1