Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Low washer fluid light

Page 1 of 1 1
Low washer fluid light
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/22/2006 10:27 AM
MADSLEG

Date registered: Dec 1899
Low washer fluid light

Is there such a thing as Low washer fluid light ?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/22/2006 11:01 AM
rudeney

RE: Low washer fluid light

Yes, it was added in the MY2002 upgrade.  There is a sensor int he resevoir and an indicator light on the instrument cluster.
#25630 - in reply to #25618
Author
Posted 12/3/2006 12:54 AM
2002ml320

Re: Low washer fluid light

First time post here. I want to say thank you for all of the great information and insight everyone has contributed on this site. Is it very helpful.

My question is this: Has anyone ever replace this windshield washer sensor and is it very difficult? The light on the dash of my 2002 ML320 stays on even if the fluid it topped off. If someone has replaced it, do they mind giving some general directions on how to do it?
#55267 - in reply to #25618
Author
Posted 7/11/2008 12:06 PM
Marcelc

2002ml320 - 12/3/2006 5:54 AM

First time post here. I want to say thank you for all of the great information and insight everyone has contributed on this site. Is it very helpful.

My question is this: Has anyone ever replace this windshield washer sensor and is it very difficult? The light on the dash of my 2002 ML320 stays on even if the fluid it topped off. If someone has replaced it, do they mind giving some general directions on how to do it?

I realise I am replying after 2 years, that is because I was searching for something else and came across this post.

Remove the headlight assembly and the plug to the sensor, then just pull and wiggle the sensor out of the rubber gasket.

The sensor cannot really be faulty unless the pins are open circuit, in my case the fluid was causing corrosion on one of the pins and that isolated the pin from the fluid causing the computer to assume the bottle was empty. I just wire brushed the pin whilst the ignition was off every time the light came on when the washer bottle was full and the light would then stay off for a couple of weeks.

The washer fluid was genuine Mercedes stuff so I am at a loss why this should happen, but I found that adding some liquid soap fixed it for a while.

My washer bottle was leaking and I found it a nightmare to remove, does anybody have any helpful suggestions how to fit the new one?

#126473 - in reply to #55267
Author
Posted 7/13/2008 12:15 PM
Marcelc

According to a Mercedes engineer, there is no simple procedure for replacing the washer bottle other than a lot of wiggling - so here is my best shot:

I cut a slit along the length of some rubber petrol pipe and slipped the pipe over the frame edges which poke into the bottle seam when wiggling, this slips easier than sharp metal edges and does less damage;

I cut a slot in the end of the tab so that I could insert the screw before refitting the bottle, it was less effort to bend the tab to slide it under the washer than getting that screw in after the bottle was in place;

I put washing up liquid on all surfaces to lubricate the bottle past the jamming points;

Then lots of wiggling.
#126607 - in reply to #126473
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1