Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/22/2006 7:23 PM
Lasse_Basse

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s): Mercedes 300 GD 1982

Need some help

Hello

I plan to buy one (eventually two) 300 GD.
The deal is that I probably can get a very good deal buying the two cars and a car for spares are nice to have,

The car has the right specifications, the large turbo diesel engine (for better fuel economy) five speed gearbox, registered as a light truck but with certificate for five passengers (plus the driver).

Living i Sweden and as a member in the EU I will transport the car to a friend of mine that is a car mechanic to do the restoration in one of the Baltic countries (also members in the EU).

I therefore have a couple of questions. Since the car is going trough a substantial renovation, being striped down to bare metal, al rust plates sand blasted or replaced I will need some new body panels. I have understood that there are replacement panels with good and not so good fitting; can somebody give me a tip where I can find the good kind? I manly need the rear corners of the car.

I plan to partly upgrade the 461 model to a model 463. I’m therefore interested in if anyone knows where I can find the newer details for the front (for the lights and the grill). I’m also interested in the lower lose panels part of the front fenders (original on the 463).

Are there any third part manufactured replacement kits for this?

I want have long range on the vehicle why i plan to insert extra fuel tanks underneath the car. I therefore wonder if anybody here on the forum knows any manufacture of additional fuel tanks.

Is it hart to upgrade the dashboard and instruments to the newer model?

I also plan to replace the original front seats and the rear sofa to replace with five Mercedes w124 leather seats. Has anybody done that? Or does anybody know suitable and comfortable
leather interior from any other (preferable more common) car model (possibly with some conversion).

I’m aware that this is an extensive and costly operation, but I plan to keep the care for some years, I like the model (as most likely you do to) why I think it’s worth it.

Thanks for your help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1