Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Got a flat...

Page 1 of 1 1
Got a flat...
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/23/2006 5:22 AM
AndrewAZ

Date registered: Dec 1899
Got a flat...

Went off road tonight with the ML and a few friends, a Toyota Tacoma and also my friends older blazer. We went out pretty far and did some hard stuff. Sorry I dont have any pictures I will see what turned up in the morning. Well we had planed to leave the place at 12 and head home and on the way out we had to pass back into a narrow canyon, well I went first and it was a little to narrow at the base for the ML and my tire scraped the side. after hearing this I got out to check for rim damage and could hear wooooosssshhhh as the air was leaking out of a small scrape on the side but lucky me no rim damage. Lucky for me one of my friends had a tire pump and we just pumped it up until we got to the nice dirt road where we could put the spare on and drive safely. I guess the only bad part of the night was having to drive 65mph on the spare all the way home and the fact that tomorrow I will have to go to discount tire and get my tire replaced. (When I first got the tires it took them a few days to get them in stock so I hope they have them) Now I wish I had a full sized spare on the back of the ML and if I do any more serious off roading I might pick one up.

The ML did great on the dirt and large rocks the only thing I can complain about is the ground clearance, I really need to get a skid plate .

But as for changing the ML tire it took less than 10mins to do and was very easy. Just make sure when you get the spare wheel out you kind of stand back since the stupid thing fell out on my foot lol.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/23/2006 8:19 AM
ttaleric

Re: Got a flat...

Yeah, i need to pick up some new tires soon, want to get some BFG's
#25849 - in reply to #25842
Author
Posted 6/23/2006 9:23 AM
Marcelc

RE: Got a flat...

What make/model of tyres did you have?

The reason I am asking is that it is nice to know which tyres suffer from sidewall damage, although this may have been a severe abrasion in your case and not really a case of blaming the tyre.

I have experienced sidewall damage in Pirellis and heard of similar from another person on this or the other forum; it influences what tyres I buy next time.
#25858 - in reply to #25842
Author
Posted 6/23/2006 1:24 PM
AndrewAZ

Marcelc - 6/23/2006 6:23 AM

What make/model of tyres did you have?

The reason I am asking is that it is nice to know which tyres suffer from sidewall damage, although this may have been a severe abrasion in your case and not really a case of blaming the tyre.

I have experienced sidewall damage in Pirellis and heard of similar from another person on this or the other forum; it influences what tyres I buy next time.

Michelin cross terrain. I dont blame the tire it was a really sharp rock and it made a nice little cut in it. The trail I was on was a loop and I should of gone back the other way instead of going into the narrow canyon area since it became rock instead of lose dirt.

So I went to discount and they never have these tires in stock, the guy was like its going to take a day to get them from north phoenix since we dont make trips just for one tire so we only have to pay for the delivery once. So being in a rush since I leave for CA at 2pm this afternoon I ended up paying for the rush delivery ($20) so I am keeping my fingers crossed that they can have it fixed by 1pm. But I was also thinking about how I have to go to the dealer next week and get my tires refilled with nitrogen awww wait a pain.

I know its sad to say but I think I might retire the ML from going off road again. My 2000 ML was so much better at going off the path the 2002 is just to heavy and the suspension is very stiff. And I dont think I would go again without a full sized spare and I dont want to invest any money into my car since I will be selling it and getting a new car in 8 months I hope.
#25918 - in reply to #25858
Author
Posted 6/23/2006 4:35 PM
Marcelc

Thanks for the info, I suppose there is always a risk going off-road; however, think yourself lucky that you have so much real off-road to hand, all we have round here is narrow, muddy lanes with scratchy bushes either side.

I'd willingly buy a spare and go off-road if I lived in the US!
#25966 - in reply to #25918
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1