Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Summer's here...Auxilliary fan working ?

Page 1 of 1 1
Summer's here...Auxilliary fan working ?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 6/25/2006 7:57 PM
DesertStar
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 85-280GE/95-G320/08-G500
Summer's here...Auxilliary fan working ?

As it is now 101 degrees outside, I thought it be best to insure all is working under the hood as far as the electric aux. fan. I have yet to hear or see it in operation and have noticed some spikes here and there in town of my temp gauge...but nothing in the red (as far as I know). I have researched the forums a bit to learn of its operation and common issues. I then popped off the connection at the block for the temp switch and grounded it out with the ignition switch on and NOTHING. I then unplugged the two pronged fan connection and supplied power to insure fan worked at the other end of the circuit...it did.

I am left with either the switch at the block or the wiring up to the 2 prong connector as being the problem. Looking at the wiring one can see it is cracking and has exposed wire which is corroded...this is BAD. So I figured the wiring was the issue and it was now time to rewire all connections with new wire. While I was at it I might as well replace all wires that look bad. This resulted in replacing the bad wire on the temp gage sender unit,temp switch for fan, cold start wiring and the wire from compressor to dryer switch.

3 hours later and some modifying of the plastic connections to the sensors in the block (which were brittle and broke while I was removing plugs to resolder) I now have a Aux fan that works when you ground out the connection at the temp switch and at idle with air conditioning on and ambient temp of over 100.

I was tempted to hardwire the fan to a switch inside, but I thought I would see how this works as that was the way it was intended by Mercedes engineers.

Just thought I would share a "G" moment.

Mike
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 6/25/2006 8:01 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: Summer's here...Auxilliary fan working ?

DesertStar - 6/25/2006 7:57 PM

Just thought I would share a "G" moment.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I think Bosch hires its engineers from those who used to work at Lucas. Glad you got it sorted out!
#26449 - in reply to #26445
Author
Posted 6/25/2006 8:32 PM
G4Garret
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2000 G500, U1100, SLK350, LR 101, WC-63 6x6
RE: Summer's here...Auxilliary fan working ?

DUTCH - 6/25/2006 7:01 PM

Thanks Mike. I think Bosch hires its engineers from those who used to work at Lucas. Glad you got it sorted out!

My thoughts exactly! The late Jack Russel and I had some heated arguements over this very subject. Just don't mention those dastardly pointy fuses
#26459 - in reply to #26449
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1