Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : 230 G underdash AC question

Page 1 of 1 1
230 G underdash AC question
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/2/2006 4:36 PM
sluggoG

Date registered: Dec 1899
230 G underdash AC question

Hi all,

my 1980 230 G has an aftermarket BEHR underdash unit. not working too well and i was considering trying to get it fixed to get at least a little cold air in the cabin (although I do not expect too much from the little box.. i am realistic in my expectations).

anyway, the po told me it had been converted to 134 a and it does have a new compressor, etc,.

im am wondering why it is wired such that the main fan for the factory vent system has to be on for the ac unit to kick on.

i can hot wire it so the underdash unit and AC fan works completely independent of the main hvac unit. would this not make more sence?

I have a 65 ford with the underdash unit and is completely seperate from the vent/ heat system, and works well.

It would seem to me that if the vent fan is on the same time the AC fan is on, i am bringing in outside air, and drawing more power from the AC fan (it is wired such that the hot wire to the ac is pigtailed off the 3 way rocker switch for the main unit.) would it not be better to have the AC on its own?

any input? I am not too sharp when it comes to wiring, and HVAC, etc, so any help is greatly appreciated!

thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/3/2006 12:42 PM
rana

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: 230 G underdash AC question

Well the underdash unit is the best soloution to the ac needs of the G wagens of the intial years as it does not have a proper ventilation system. the ventilation system is based on fresh air and not recirc.
well to get the best effect of cooling you will have to dissconect the main blower unit from the unerdash unit to get the best performance.
butt if there is a cooling coil installed on the fresh air unit as well its best to get that disconnected as well so that the compresser does not have to work extra for nothing. the easiest way to do it is to run a new tubing from the compressor to the underdash unit.
#28428 - in reply to #28289
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1