Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Would this be a smart buy?

Page 1 of 1 1
Would this be a smart buy?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/4/2006 11:06 AM
RUYSENAARS

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): Land Rover Discovery(For Now)
Would this be a smart buy?

I have an eye on a few G's but I am not in a huge hurry. I was looking at this one on ebay. It looks great, but I am concerned about the high milage! Should I be? The owner, stated that the PO, sent it to Europa for regular maintanence. I would really like a 463 body, in a 5-speed. This seems like a good price though. I am sure some surprises would pop up. Any ideas, or things to ask about would be helpfull. One last question, I was told that the six cyl in these were great engines. What about the timing chain. Would this be an item that needs to be changed? Thanks for all your input!
I supose I would also entertain a 5-speed in a 460 as well. I prefer a LWB too. Anyone know where one is hiding?

Eric.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-300GE-Mercedesbenz-G-Wagon_W0QQ...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/4/2006 4:34 PM
MazWest
Veteran

Vehicle(s): E220T, 250GD LWB Wolf
RE: Would this be a smart buy?

I'm no expert but, if I was in the market, I would certainly go give this one a look. The 1st bid price seems fair and as far as mileage goes, these trucks are built to last a lifetime (if properly maintained).

Have you looked at the classifieds on clubgwagen?
#28828 - in reply to #28759
Author
Posted 7/4/2006 4:44 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter

MazWest - 7/4/2006 4:34 PM

I'm no expert but, if I was in the market, I would certainly go give this one a look. The 1st bid price seems fair and as far as mileage goes, these trucks are built to last a lifetime (if properly maintained).

The seller participates here and on the new BW. Why not start a dialog here with him?
#28833 - in reply to #28828
Author
Posted 7/4/2006 4:49 PM
Alaskagwagen

Date registered: Dec 1899

Hi Eric,

That M103 engine has a good repuation so high miles may not be an issue if it has been well cared for. There were some headgasket leak issues as I recall but once the headgasket was upgraded the problem was fixed. Looks like a nice truck and the price seems very decent.

Good luck!

Adam
#28841 - in reply to #28759
Author
Posted 7/4/2006 5:17 PM
RUYSENAARS

MazWest - 7/4/2006 3:34 PM

I don't have time to physically go look at it. It is a good price. I have spoken with the owner, and my only concern is the miles on it. I have looked on clubgwagen, of the ones that interested me, only one or two were not sold. Some never returned my email or phone call, i suspect they have been sold. There is one here locally for sale with quite fewer miles. It is however more money, but i belive it to be in great condition, and nothing would have to be done to it! It looks new, and is a 5-speed. This would be my first G, but I have been researching them for almost 9 months. What to do......?
#28868 - in reply to #28828
Author
Posted 7/5/2006 7:48 AM
MazWest
Veteran

Vehicle(s): E220T, 250GD LWB Wolf

Eric,

Everyone who joins the G-Wagen owners community does so for their own reasons. If you truly wish to own one of the best, hand built, cross country vehicles ever built, take a deep breath and jump in the deep end of the pool.

We all have different stories and we all have experienced problems with our trucks. Some more than others.

One thing I am sure of, once you have gotten to know your truck, driven it on and off road, pulled a few landies out of the mud and even given her a name, you'll never look back.

We're all here for you, whatever comes along. We're your new family. Just ask.
#28987 - in reply to #28868
Author
Posted 7/5/2006 3:39 PM
G350DT

Date registered: Dec 1899
Re: Would this be a smart buy?

So did you buy it
#29060 - in reply to #28759
Author
Posted 7/5/2006 4:35 PM
RUYSENAARS

No, someone else bid, I don't buy cars using Ebay. I will look, and contact the seller. I will not blindly bid on a car. Drives up the price unneccessarily!

I will keep my eyes peeled. I will see about the local G, I like it more anyway. Time will tell, thanks for all of your continued help!
Eric.
#29077 - in reply to #28759
Author
Posted 7/5/2006 4:52 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
Cars & Ebay

RUYSENAARS - 7/5/2006 4:35 PM

No, someone else bid, I don't buy cars using Ebay. I will look, and contact the seller. I will not blindly bid on a car. Drives up the price unneccessarily!

I will keep my eyes peeled. I will see about the local G, I like it more anyway. Time will tell, thanks for all of your continued help!
Eric. :wave:

Since Keychi is also a member here, it would not be strictly an Ebay sale only.

FWIW, my current G was an Ebay purchase out of Dallas. I was and am completely satisified with my deal. Ebay is just a place you need to keep your wits about you and do your due diligence; and you'll generally be OK.
#29084 - in reply to #29077
Author
Posted 7/8/2006 11:46 AM
mortinson
Expert

Vehicle(s): '98 G300TD LWB, '98 E300TD Saloon

The steering wheel does not look original: more likely from a Mitsubishi Pajero.

The front left spring is seriously rusted: most probaly needs a change.

... and so does the exchaust system. One one boxes depicted in a picture is peeling.

And that is only what we can see....

#29742 - in reply to #28759
Author
Posted 7/10/2006 7:47 PM
keychi
Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s): 290gd,G550,
Re: Would this be a smart buy?

hey guys sold my 463g yes it had mileage but I am trying to rebuild my 290gdt,and needed more cash it did run good and body was clean
louis
#30285 - in reply to #28759
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1