Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Screwing into top of dash

Page 1 of 1 1
Screwing into top of dash
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/12/2006 1:48 PM
sloughboy
Regular

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 1989 280 ge swb; 1997 G320 lwb; lexus gx;
Screwing into top of dash

I need to install a RAM mount (1" ball) on top of the dash directly above the front vents, in the front 1/2 of the dash closest to the windshield. Planning on using 4 1/2" screws. I do not know what is under the dash pad, but it appears to be sheet metal. Does anyone know if these screws will interfere with anything below, including the front vents?

BTW, I am installing a RAM spotlight --- will send pics upon installation. Also have a self-levelling drink holder on a RAM mount --- trying to figure out where to put it right now.

The spotlight is going on a 1989 280ge swb.

For those interested in the RAM spotlight, see http://www.gpscity.com/ram-spot-light-mounts.htm

Spotlight is very cool, and I think will work much better than the Helphos. Also have a suction cup RAM mount so I can move the spotlight from the dash and roof mount it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/12/2006 3:00 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
RE: Screwing into top of dash

Don't spotlights have to be mounted outside the glass? Any light inside the cabin will blind you to the faint reflection from the object you are illuminating.
#30647 - in reply to #30634
Author
Posted 7/12/2006 3:27 PM
Greeney

Date registered: Dec 1899

Here is a photo of mine that might help some. It is metal topped but the is a plastic vent in the middle close to the surface. it isonly about an inch and a half from the front toward the back it is a corrogated plastic tube

(dash.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments dash.jpg (46KB - 11 downloads)
#30650 - in reply to #30634
Author
Posted 7/12/2006 4:30 PM
markvulture
Regular

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 300gd canvas top plus several g projects!!!!!

you can srew in, but use the shortest screws that just bite into the metal underneath the top covering, or you may cause problems fouling the vents or make holes in the vent pipe.on my g i mounted a garmin gps and a speed camera system gps aerial onto the top of the dash after using a spirit wipe and an epoxy glue, araldite, but you might not have that brand in the us.
#30660 - in reply to #30634
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1