Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : W163 M-Class : Wolfgang or Peter........

Page 1 of 1 1
Wolfgang or Peter........
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/12/2006 10:25 PM
C-Rod
Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2006 ML 350
Wolfgang or Peter........

Would you guys be able to explain to me what the "heater box to the seal" is........Apparently with the A-pillar noises,(TSB"S) there is some issue about this.....Where is this located (heater box) and would either one of you have pictures of it....This ticking is trying me crazy....l have already put felt where the windshield cowl meets the windshield, but that didn't help.........l would like to see if this would help...Thanks..
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/12/2006 11:07 PM
Wolfgang

Date registered: Dec 1899
RE: Wolfgang or Peter........

C-Rod - 7/12/2006 7:25 PM

Would you guys be able to explain to me what the "heater box to the seal" is........Apparently with the A-pillar noises,(TSB"S) there is some issue about this.....Where is this located (heater box) and would either one of you have pictures of it....This ticking is trying me crazy....l have already put felt where the windshield cowl meets the windshield, but that didn't help.........l would like to see if this would help...Thanks..

Seals are number 26 in the second pic.

(ac1.gif)

(ac2.gif)

(ac3.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments ac1.gif (42KB - 8 downloads)
Attachments ac2.gif (27KB - 6 downloads)
Attachments ac3.gif (22KB - 4 downloads)
#30790 - in reply to #30774
Author
Posted 7/13/2006 12:26 AM
AndrewAZ

C-Rod - 7/12/2006 7:25 PM

Would this problem cause the A pillar glue to fail? any way i can pin it to this TSB...
#30804 - in reply to #30774
Author
Posted 7/13/2006 3:15 AM
Wolfgang

AndrewAZ - 7/12/2006 9:26 PM

Would this problem cause the A pillar glue to fail? any way i can pin it to this TSB...

I suspect it's not related.

BTW, my 1999 ML320 is rather quiet inside, and in fact I dont remember hunting for any noises... But I noticed it has some small pieces of felt stuck in many places, and some kind of white powder around some parts of the dash etc etc. Therefore I suspect my ML received a full noise abatement treatment early on in its life probably when I dropped it off for some warranty service. Might have been performed by the same clever technician who did the door seal enhancement etc. Since that was a warranty repair which paid rather well, I do remember how eager they were at the time to do it....

Edited by Wolfgang 7/13/2006 3:43 AM
#30825 - in reply to #30804
Author
Posted 7/13/2006 1:53 PM
MADSLEG

Re: Wolfgang or Peter........

And what is #s 53 and 56 on first picture ???
I think this is a part that i have to replace to fix clicking sound in my dashboard vents...............
#30915 - in reply to #30774
Author
Posted 7/13/2006 3:43 PM
Wolfgang

MADSLEG - 7/13/2006 10:53 AM

And what is #s 53 and 56 on first picture ???
I think this is a part that i have to replace to fix clicking sound in my dashboard vents...............

That's the electric motor and linkage for the air mix damper door. I suppose if the feed back potentiometer doesn't read the position correctly the motor keeps trying to readjust the position of the door. Might this have caused your clicking?

Air Mix Damper Door

The mechanical door is controlled by a linkage from the servo electric motor. The door covers/uncovers the air passage through the heater core to mix heated and cool air in correct proportion needed to achieve desired interior temperature. A feed back potentiometer sends a signal to N19 (controller) for door position.
from http://www.whnet.com/4x4/climate.html

Edited by Wolfgang 7/13/2006 3:47 PM
#30929 - in reply to #30915
Author
Posted 7/13/2006 6:07 PM
MADSLEG

You 100% right- feed back potentiometer doesn't read the position correctly the motor keeps trying to readjust the position of the door,that is why it makes that cliking noice.So what do i have to replace to fix it ?
And part # if you can find it.Its getting VERY HOT here in Florida :(((
#30960 - in reply to #30774
Author
Posted 7/13/2006 6:56 PM
Wolfgang

MADSLEG - 7/13/2006 3:07 PM

You 100% right- feed back potentiometer doesn't read the position correctly the motor keeps trying to readjust the position of the door,that is why it makes that cliking noice.So what do i have to replace to fix it ?
And part # if you can find it.Its getting VERY HOT here in Florida :(((

Part number for the electric motor is 163 820 01 08. And for the lever 163 830 01 33.

I would only replace them if you can find a mechanical fault like a worn bearing or some such. Otherwise it might be less expensive to have a dealer diagnose exactly what is wrong by connecting the StardiagnosisSystem and then replace only the faulty component.

The A/C control module receives input information from the following devices:

Air conditioning switch.
Interior air temperature sensor (NTC resistor below low range switch).
Temperature selector control.
Blower switch control.
Evaporator temperature sensor.
Air mixture flap door position signal.

The A/C Control Module sends control signals to the following devices:

Air mix damper door motor.
AAM (N10).
Fresh/Recirculation (FRS/REC) door motor.
#30968 - in reply to #30960
Author
Posted 7/14/2006 7:04 PM
pleubner

Vehicle(s): ML270CDI Brabus-W163,SL55 AMG-R230,ML320 CDI-W164

Hey .... Must have missed this .... will read everthing more closely when I get back!....

#31168 - in reply to #30774
Author
Posted 7/17/2006 10:11 AM
pleubner

Vehicle(s): ML270CDI Brabus-W163,SL55 AMG-R230,ML320 CDI-W164

Just got back from hols .... what did C-ROD do about the TSB?..... Has it stopped the clicking?.....

hey C_ROD , parcel just arrived! .... but I need a little help from your side to pry the thing loose from customs .... sent you a PM!....

#31572 - in reply to #31168
Author
Posted 3/12/2007 10:33 AM
MADSLEG

C ROD
any updates ?
#66677 - in reply to #30929
Author
Posted 3/12/2007 5:50 PM
C-Rod
Veteran

Vehicle(s): 2006 ML 350

Hello.........This is the situation.....The heater box seal removed and replaced will run me about $1200.00 dollars..l don't think so....The funny thing has been that the sound has diminished during the winter...l'm assuming because my heater is always on, it must have softened the seal so as not to squeak, but l'm sure as the summer time comes and the seal dries out, it will start again...To be honest, l just finished paying it off..so l may start looking around...l've grown tired of the little things........"Ridiculous"...........
#66708 - in reply to #66677
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1