Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Steering Lock Replacement - pre-2001 G500

Page 1 of 1 1
Steering Lock Replacement - pre-2001 G500
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/13/2006 11:23 AM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
Steering Lock Replacement - pre-2001 G500

My mechanic and I just did a preventative replacement of the steering lock on my 2000 G500 this morning. I don't want that sucker locking up out in the hinterlands of CO or UT in September. It took about 1.5 hours of work, which included some learning time for both of us. We replaced both the lock and the keyed tumbler, although it can certainly be done without going through the hassle of obtaining the tumbler/cylinder that is keyed for your truck. The old tumbler is still OK.

Some comments may be helpful to those who may want to do this; as having the pages out of the WIS were helpful, but they were not the be all and end all of how to do it.

1.) Both the lock and the keyed tumbler/cylinder are MB dealer parts and have to be obtained from Europe. Aftermarket parts houses can't get them.

2.) You must remove the airbag, steering wheel, the instrument cluster and the guts of the steering column switches to get decent access. We did not have to remove the wood trim strip or the dash cover around the ignition lock, although this would make access to the lock assembly even easier.

WARNING!! The two Torx screws holding the airbag in place on the steering wheel are Blue LocTited in place. We partially stripped one of the Torx head screws and were almost not able to get it out. If we hadn't, we would not have been able to complete the job. Make sure that the Torx bit on your wrench is in good condition and that you have seated it very well in the connector before putting any force on it. My mechanic hammered it in place after screwing up on the first attempt.

3.) The transponder coil around the keyhole is held in place by a screwed collar. Once it is unscrewed, pull the transponder coil straight out. There is then a plastic retaining ring with three lugs which must be pulled out of the opening. Be careful to not snap off the plastic lugs. Be very careful with this thing, as your truck won't run without it making a proper connection.

4.) The locking clamp on the steering lock itself is held in place witt a 10 mm hex nut. This can be accessed through the steering column itself, if you don't remove the dash cover around the lock.

5.) The key lock buzzer switch has both a plug in connector - which is used - and another connector on the end of a 6" wire lead. This does not appear to be used, as it was not connected; and we could not find any loose wires or other unused connections behind the dash.

6.) A small and dextrous pair of hands makes manipulating, removing and replacing the steering lock a lot easier. Things are very tight in there.

I plan to keep the old one and modify it to prevent it from activating. When I get a chance, I'll put it back in; and I should never have to worry about it locking up again.

(Dscn0797sm.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Dscn0797sm.jpg (139KB - 11 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/15/2006 4:14 AM
G1979
Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G500 2005
RE: Steering Lock Replacement - pre-2001 G500

That was great thank you
JV
#31265 - in reply to #30885
Top of the page Bottom of the page