Author
Posted 7/16/2006 2:05 PM
luthcol
New user

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s):

2005 G500

Hello,

I am new to this forum and G wagons. I have been looking for a 4 wheel drive unit that will hold up to the rigors of a working ranch in some extreme terrain.
I also want some degree of luxury because it will also be driven around town.
I previously had a 2004 RR that did a adequate job, but it is showing the signs of it's history of work. I had originally thought I would get a 2000 model, but have been told I would be happier with a 2005 model. I was told the bugs have been worked out of the electrical and the 4 wheel drive capabilities were better than previous years.
Also, I wanted to make sure that they were still handmade in Germany/Austria as were the pre- USA versions.
Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/16/2006 2:19 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: 2005 G500

luthcol - 7/16/2006 2:05 PM

Hello,

I am new to this forum and G wagons. I have been looking for a 4 wheel drive unit that will hold up to the rigors of a working ranch in some extreme terrain.
I also want some degree of luxury because it will also be driven around town.
I previously had a 2004 RR that did a adequate job, but it is showing the signs of it's history of work. I had originally thought I would get a 2000 model, but have been told I would be happier with a 2005 model. I was told the bugs have been worked out of the electrical and the 4 wheel drive capabilities were better than previous years.
Also, I wanted to make sure that they were still handmade in Germany/Austria as were the pre- USA versions.
Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome. Please complete your "My Profile" so we know where you are located.

The electrical bugs seem to have been worked out quite well compared to the first MBUSA vehilces sold in 2002. The 4WD capability is the same.

They are still hand made in Graz, Austria. You can see some photos taken of the assembly line last September here:

http://www.pbase.com/flydutch/gclass_assemby

Also, I have a very nice commercially made 18-19 minute DVD Video of the Graz Assembly Line and the Test Track on Schöckl Mountain. If you'd like a copy and you're located in the USA, US$8.00 will get it mailed to you. Click on the Email button at the bottom of this message, if you want one.
#31411 - in reply to #31410
Top of the page Bottom of the page
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1