Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : From the diesel forum....

Page 1 of 1 1
From the diesel forum....
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/23/2006 1:37 PM
Ze Bocaina

Date registered: Dec 1899
From the diesel forum....

Re: Diesel Engines! VW or MB?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Economy--TDI
Price--TDI
Power--CDI
Longevity-- Neither, a gas engined Ford will last just as long as both
Servicability--Neither

We all know that most of us will vote for the CDI because of brand loyalty, but to be honest... with the economy numbers being what they are, there is absolutely no reason for the car to even exist. How can they only get to 35mpg in all these years whenever the om617s they were building 30 years ago only got 5 less?!? That doesn't seem like much progress, the engines are the same size, right?

On both, you do get more torque and more miles-per-gallon, but you pay more up front. You also have to worry about servicability-- If the car breaks down, you'll end up at the dealer because absolutely no one else can repair these cars.

My official vote is for both because they are not comparable.

The vw is a 4 cylinder that, while I can't afford one, is affordable to the masses at around 20k. You do, however, have to deal with the cheap fwd mexican car built around them. At least it comes with a dipstick...

The benz is a 6 cylinder car that costs 50k to purchase. It is a traditional rwd car that will be built better than the vw, but your 50 large doesnt even get you a dipstick.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/23/2006 2:44 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
RE: From the diesel forum....

MB makes many fuel efficient CDIs. If I recall correctly the E220CDI gets 5l/100km (or 47mpg) on the highway. They've got to be pretty reliable, thousands of European taxi drivers can't be making the same mistake over and over again.
#32594 - in reply to #32580
Author
Posted 7/24/2006 1:45 AM
BrentG500
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2004 G500 (gone)
Re: From the diesel forum....

I second that Alan, although I'm not sure how many mpg the E220/E320 CDI gets. Regarding the G, we'll just have to wait and see.
#32679 - in reply to #32580
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1