Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Perhaps a dumb question but...

Page 1 of 1 1
Perhaps a dumb question but...
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 7/29/2006 4:20 AM
TDstalcup

Date registered: Dec 1899
Perhaps a dumb question but...

Ok, I do not have a G, right now I have a BMW 6 (older E24, Alpina mods etc) but I had an 03 Discovery that I gave up before going back to school (law school). Here then, is my question:

I would truly like to be back in an SUV, but do not want another Rover. I would really like a G, but want a diesel 463, for the range and for the ability to run biodiesel, for which there are now a couple of stations in Northern California. It seems that such a thing is apparently like finding a Unicorn in the US. I have seen posts about people importing them, and occasionally one does appear at Keiser motors, or on Clubwagen...but how about this: the 2002 MBUSA G500s are now coming off lease, being traded in etc. My studies indicate that the diesel conversion is more or less a straight swap, get a TD crate motor, a set of gauges for the dash, perhaps in a pod, and then change out the motor mounts. If such a swap cost on the order of $10-15K to be done right, and the 2002 Gs are now going for the low $30K range with 75K miles on them...wouldn't that be less expensive and complex than importing a European car and having it Federalized, which I am given to understand is also $10K or so?.

Of course, there may be something I am missing since I haven't ever heard of anyone doing a conversion of that sort, and I am fairly certain you wouldn't be able to register it in California (without registering it first someplace else).

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 7/29/2006 4:58 AM
79percent
Extreme Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 300 GE
RE: Perhaps a dumb question but...

TDstalcup - 7/29/2006 10:20 AM Ok, I do not have a G, right now I have a BMW 6 (older E24, Alpina mods etc) but I had an 03 Discovery that I gave up before going back to school (law school). Here then, is my question: I would truly like to be back in an SUV, but do not want another Rover. I would really like a G, but want a diesel 463, for the range and for the ability to run biodiesel, for which there are now a couple of stations in Northern California. It seems that such a thing is apparently like finding a Unicorn in the US. I have seen posts about people importing them, and occasionally one does appear at Keiser motors, or on Clubwagen...but how about this: the 2002 MBUSA G500s are now coming off lease, being traded in etc. My studies indicate that the diesel conversion is more or less a straight swap, get a TD crate motor, a set of gauges for the dash, perhaps in a pod, and then change out the motor mounts. If such a swap cost on the order of $10-15K to be done right, and the 2002 Gs are now going for the low $30K range with 75K miles on them...wouldn't that be less expensive and complex than importing a European car and having it Federalized, which I am given to understand is also $10K or so?. Of course, there may be something I am missing since I haven't ever heard of anyone doing a conversion of that sort, and I am fairly certain you wouldn't be able to register it in California (without registering it first someplace else).

Well, thats not so easy as you may think of. There are many small things like Injection control, Immobilizer, etc. etc. that you have to have as well. The G 500 is full of electronic controls. Just getting another engine ECU and fit it right into the EEDS - Board net will not work, If you have an very inexpensive G 300 TD sitting around with the same wheelbase then you might be able to swap. If not - forget it. You will end up paying more doing the swap.

RGDS

Klaus

#33611 - in reply to #33610
Author
Posted 7/29/2006 7:44 AM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 280GE SWB, Toyota Highlander, BMW530i, RR HSE
Re: Perhaps a dumb question but...

Another think you have to think about along the same lines Klaus mentioned about electronics controls is that the 2002 MBUSA Gs have a lot of electronics glitches. And some of those low-$30K Gs may well have those glitches.

A 463 diesel is hard to come by. If you are really searching for a diesel, your best bet might be a 460. Going back to the 463: Since this is an approved model on the NHTSA list, I would recommend looking for a diesel on mobile.de. Sean at Eurotruck Importers in Oakwood, GA (northeast of Atlanta) or Norm Keiser at keisermotors.com in Campbell, CA (near San Jose) can help you. Norm will probably be closest to you. He has a friend in Germany who can look out for a diesel 463 G for you.

If it is a 463 diesel you are desiring, I would call Norm. Norm can give you the price details on import and federalization.
#33626 - in reply to #33610
Author
Posted 7/29/2006 2:43 PM
AlanMcR
Expert

Vehicle(s): G300DT E300DT 230SL
RE: Perhaps a dumb question but...

Well, owning a G300Dt and a E300DT, I can tell you that swapping motors between these two seemingly indentical vehicles would still require some significant work. The engine computers, EGR, intake management, and oil cooling are different. The G version of the 722.6 transmission has the same connector but a different computer. The immobilizer on the G is completely different than that found on the E. It goes on and on.

Now to get to a '02+ G: The engine compartment is a bit different. On the 463.330 the electronics box is shoved off to the side to make room for the long inline 6 head. I'm guessing that there would not be any room for the motor. They haven't put an I6 into any of the recent G's.
#33724 - in reply to #33610
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1