Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Roadster Forums : R171 SLK Class : First long trip tomorrow - Any tips?

Page 1 of 1 1
First long trip tomorrow - Any tips?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 4/26/2006 3:05 PM
Zut

Date registered: Dec 1899
First long trip tomorrow - Any tips?

I am going on a four-day business trip with my SLK350 tomorrow (I am expecting to put over 2000km on the meter). Tomorrow alone, I shall be driving for over 10 hours. I suppose some of you have been on long-distance trips with their SLK. Any good tips you can share to make my experience a nice one? Thanks all!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 4/26/2006 3:32 PM
Dinoman

RE: First long trip tomorrow - Any tips?

Zut, My longest trip thusfar has only been about 75 miles, but I wanted to wish you a pleasant trip, and to say that it's good to hear from someone familiar on this new forum. Dinoman
#2749 - in reply to #2721
Author
Posted 4/26/2006 3:54 PM
Zut

Dinoman - 4/26/2006 3:32 PM

Zut, My longest trip thusfar has only been about 75 miles, but I wanted to wish you a pleasant trip, and to say that it's good to hear from someone familiar on this new forum. Dinoman

Cool! I am glad to see some familiar names. This whole situation is rather sad. I wish the old gang will get back together soon on one site or the other. So far, I like a lot the layout of this one.
#2757 - in reply to #2749
Author
Posted 4/26/2006 4:36 PM
etyu

perhaps bring 2 extra quarts of engine oil?
#2799 - in reply to #2721
Author
Posted 4/26/2006 5:02 PM
beverage

Plenty of sun lotion, for when you go topless, and for when the rain comes out - plenty of music!!!
#2828 - in reply to #2721
Author
Posted 4/26/2006 5:19 PM
Zut

beverage - 4/26/2006 5:02 PM

Plenty of sun lotion, for when you go topless, and for when the rain comes out - plenty of music!!! :cool:

I just heard that it snowed this morning in the area where I am going (and I just had my winter tyres removed ). I hope everything will be fine tomorrow morning. As long as there is no rain (or snow), surely there will be some topless driving involved. As far as music is concerned, I am fully covered: regular and satellite radio, seven CDs and i-Pod.
#2857 - in reply to #2828
Author
Posted 4/26/2006 5:20 PM
Zut

etyu - 4/26/2006 4:36 PM

perhaps bring 2 extra quarts of engine oil?

So far, I had no oil-consumption problems. I shall keep my finger crossed...
#2858 - in reply to #2799
Author
Posted 4/26/2006 6:26 PM
RonJeffries

My advice: Take a thin firm cushion to put behind your back, to provide lumbar support. About the thickness of a fairly large paperback novel should be about right.
#2907 - in reply to #2721
Author
Posted 4/26/2006 6:44 PM
Zut

RonJeffries - 4/26/2006 6:26 PM

My advice: Take a thin firm cushion to put behind your back, to provide lumbar support. About the thickness of a fairly large paperback novel should be about right.

Very good point. Thanks for the reminder! I have tried several cushions, books and soft objects. So far, the best thing has been a little towel (about the size of a paperback novel, but without the edges). I'll make sure it is in the car tonight! I am still shopping for a good lumbar cushion. Such a simple little thing but so hard to find.
#2932 - in reply to #2907
Author
Posted 4/26/2006 6:54 PM
lennyr

Put a fresh coat of wax or Zaino or whatever on it before you go. If you are driving at dusk (which you probably will in that 10 hour stretch) you're bound to hit clouds of bugs. They will be unsightly, and can damage your paint if left on. The wax will help make them not stick as much. You might want to bring some glass cleaner and microfiber towels for the windshield - the wipers and washer fluid are inadequate to the task of dealing with a long drive's worth of bugs.

On my next long trip I'm going to try Rejex, which is supposed to make bugs not stick.

#2947 - in reply to #2721
Author
Posted 4/26/2006 7:07 PM
Zut

lennyr - 4/26/2006 6:54 PM

Put a fresh coat of wax or Zaino or whatever on it before you go. If you are driving at dusk (which you probably will in that 10 hour stretch) you're bound to hit clouds of bugs. They will be unsightly, and can damage your paint if left on. The wax will help make them not stick as much. You might want to bring some glass cleaner and microfiber towels for the windshield - the wipers and washer fluid are inadequate to the task of dealing with a long drive's worth of bugs.

On my next long trip I'm going to try Rejex, which is supposed to make bugs not stick.

Fortunately, I shouldn't worry about bugs tomorrow. The temperatures will stay around 5°C. But you are right about the Zaino or wax. Canadian geese are flying back North and I may get a few droppings along the way!
#2959 - in reply to #2947
Author
Posted 4/26/2006 7:15 PM
etyu

In the trunk (cargo area): I always have around 2 liters of water (500ml x4) in a small duffle bag with some emergency supplies, like microfiber or artificial fleece blanket (these fold or roll into a small size), granola bars and a flashlight that can double as an amber flashing unit with a magnetic base. The water is both for human and car consumption, just in case. Being in an earthquake zone, I thought I should be prepared and they only take up a space that is 6"x13"x8".
#2964 - in reply to #2721
Author
Posted 4/26/2006 8:11 PM
Zut

etyu - 4/26/2006 7:15 PM

In the trunk (cargo area): I always have around 2 liters of water (500ml x4) in a small duffle bag with some emergency supplies, like microfiber or artificial fleece blanket (these fold or roll into a small size), granola bars and a flashlight that can double as an amber flashing unit with a magnetic base. The water is both for human and car consumption, just in case. Being in an earthquake zone, I thought I should be prepared and they only take up a space that is 6"x13"x8".

Good point. As a matter of fact, these things should always be in our cargo area, especially in cold climates.
#3013 - in reply to #2964
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1