Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Faulty vehicle identification number of GE 280?

Page 1 of 1 1
Faulty vehicle identification number of GE 280?
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/7/2006 4:52 PM
schuss

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): MB 280 GE 1979; BMW K1100 RS

Faulty vehicle identification number of GE 280?

On July 8th I bought a GE 280 from 1979, a former vehicle of the Bremen, Germany Airport Police.
Mine looks exactly like this one: http://www.polizeioldtimer.de/oldtimerseiten/db_280ge.htm
except that the Polizei letters and the loudspeaker and the blue light are removed.
Before I bought it it had one owner after the police.

According to the authorities (www.rdw.nl) that have to give me a dutch licenseplate, the chassis number 46023317002124 looks irregular (see attached photograph). They say it looks as if a number has been removed and a new number has been put in place of that. However, I checked with someone who owns a former Rettungsdient (Rescue Service) vehicle and on the chassis of his car the number looks the same.

So I would like to know if it is indeed normal on G's that the number is in a rectangle that is slightly lower than the surface of the chassis. Or maybe that on German government cars the number are special. The RDW mechanic also said that the font was not normal.

Greetings,
Roel Neumann
Amsterdam, Netherlands

(VIN-46023317002124.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments VIN-46023317002124.jpg (48KB - 9 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/7/2006 5:11 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: Faulty vehicle identification number of GE 280?

schuss - 8/7/2006 4:52 PM

On July 8th I bought a GE 280 from 1979, a former vehicle of the Bremen, Germany Airport Police.
Mine looks exactly like this one: http://www.polizeioldtimer.de/oldtimerseiten/db_280ge.htm
except that the Polizei letters and the loudspeaker and the blue light are removed.
Before I bought it it had one owner after the police.

According to the authorities (www.rdw.nl) that have to give me a dutch licenseplate, the chassis number 46023317002124 looks irregular (see attached photograph). They say it looks as if a number has been removed and a new number has been put in place of that. However, I checked with someone who owns a former Rettungsdient (Rescue Service) vehicle and on the chassis of his car the number looks the same.

So I would like to know if it is indeed normal on G's that the number is in a rectangle that is slightly lower than the surface of the chassis. Or maybe that on German government cars the number are special. The RDW mechanic also said that the font was not normal.

Greetings,
Roel Neumann
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Greeting Roel,

The VIN is present in two places on the vehicle. It is stampoed on the frame, as in your picture. It is also stamped/embossed on an aluminum plate which is riveted to the front of the fresh air plenum for the cabin, which is located at the back of the engine compartment. Hopefully, these two numbers are the same.

I am also attaching a copy of your Vehicle Data Card, as taken from the Mercedes-Benz Electronic Data Card. With this, you can compare the motor number, the transmission number, the transfer case number and the numbers of the axles. If these are in agreement, one would hope that this should be sufficient evidence for the inspector. Of course, there are always possibiolities that one or more of these components has been changed out; but hopefully enough of the numbers will match for you to convince this bureaucrat. Good Luck!

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Roel_Data_Card.pdf (53KB - 16 downloads)
#36186 - in reply to #36174
Author
Posted 8/7/2006 5:39 PM
schuss

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): MB 280 GE 1979; BMW K1100 RS

Re: Faulty vehicle identification number of GE 280?

Hi Dutch,

This is very helpfull! Thanks. The number on the aluminum plate on the firewall in the motor compartment is indeed the same as the chassis number. Tomorrow morning I'll go check the rest of the numbers. And I'll take the printed card to the inspection of course.

I'll keep you posted.

Greetings,
Roel
#36199 - in reply to #36174
Author
Posted 8/7/2006 5:49 PM
DUTCH

Re: Faulty vehicle identification number of GE 280?

schuss - 8/7/2006 5:39 PM

Hi Dutch,

This is very helpfull! Thanks. The number on the aluminum plate on the firewall in the motor compartment is indeed the same as the chassis number. Tomorrow morning I'll go check the rest of the numbers. And I'll take the printed card to the inspection of course.

I'll keep you posted.

Greetings,
Roel

Tell that officious little government bureaucrat that he had best be careful because there will be a very loud explosion when his head comes popping out of his Arsch.
#36207 - in reply to #36199
Author
Posted 8/8/2006 12:14 AM
Bruce
Veteran

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle(s): 230GE, 300TD, 200D

FWIW, mine is an 85 "civilian" model. The number is not "recessed" like yours.

Good luck with the bureaucrats!

Bruce

#36332 - in reply to #36174
Author
Posted 8/8/2006 5:26 AM
DUTCH

Bruce - 8/8/2006 12:14 AM

FWIW, mine is an 85 "civilian" model. The number is not "recessed" like yours.

Good luck with the bureaucrats!

Bruce

There's a very real possibility that the factory renumbered a chassis. Ask Ze Bocaina about this on his G500.

It'll be interesting to see if the numbers on the engine, transmission, TC and axles agree with the EPC.
#36352 - in reply to #36332
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1