Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : Importing a US-Spec G into Canada

Page 1 of 1 1
Importing a US-Spec G into Canada
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/9/2006 10:11 PM
maldav

Date registered: Dec 1899
Importing a US-Spec G into Canada

I have a US-Spec/Delivered 2003 G55 for sale. I have an interested party in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

I would like to hear from any forum members who have successfully imported late-model US-Spec Gs into Canada. I have read the RIV info, visited the US DOT NHTSA Web site to get info on the bumpers and read a posting in the G-Class forum at Benzworld. While I see all late-model MB trucks are categorically inadmissable, I know some have been imported with no substantive conversions.

Also, does anyone out there know what the speed rating is on the US-Spec G bumpers?

Thanks.

M. Davidow
Seattle, Washington, USA
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/9/2006 11:01 PM
redeye

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s):
RE: Importing a US-Spec G into Canada

Basically most late-model Mercedes are admissible to Canada, BUT since July 2006 MB Canada has to provide a letter referencing the VIN number and model to that effect (prior to July this G would have been automatically admissible). Fax the VIN and model details with an enquiry off to MB Canada at 416-425-6370: apparently they are prompt and usually reply by return fax within 1 day. Once MB Canada confirms the admissibility, MBUSA must provide a recall clearance letter etc. as per the usual procedure for importing a vehicle into Canada from the US.
#37274 - in reply to #37265
Author
Posted 8/10/2006 3:08 AM
maldav

Date registered: Dec 1899

Redeye, thanks for your posting.

Do you know of any reasons why Mercedes-Benz Canada would not confirm admissibility or do you of any cases when it has not?
#37294 - in reply to #37265
Author
Posted 8/10/2006 10:15 AM
redeye

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle(s):

I don't know what the reasons for the change are but I have heard of some US imports being messed up because dealers struggled with things like enabling DRL's. The changes required mostly relate to DRL's, cluster conversion, 5 mph bumpers, seatbelt restraints. As far as I know the G should cost about CAD$2000 in additional dealer work for things like a new cluster etc. to get the required compliance letter from MB Canada enabling registration.
#37356 - in reply to #37265
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1