Welcome Guest. ( logon | register )   
FAQ Member List Albums Today's Posts Search

PointedThree :  Vans, Trucks, SUVs and Other Forums : G-Class : F!@#$ with MBUSA

Page 1 of 1 1
F!@#$ with MBUSA
Topic Tools Message Format
Author
Posted 8/10/2006 2:47 PM
G1979
Veteran

Date registered: Apr 2006
Vehicle(s): G500 2005
F!@#$ with MBUSA

I'm getting really mad with MB dealers, let me tell you why.
When I bought the G500, I drove from Virginia to MN, well very thing was great until, the second day of the trip, early in the morning, I was in the highway when the G just shut off, then nothing work, light where on, but no start, no even
The starter go, I try everything but no go, well I was in Indiana, took the G to a dealer, and they said it was the ECU, after almost a month waiting for the computer, It got install and it work fine, I drove back and when I was in the highway almost half way home, I found that the cruise control was not working, I call the dealer, and they said that the cruise control is activated by the ECU and that most probably it just needs to activate the feature and that any dealer can do that. Well since I was already half way home, I decided to continue and take the G to a dealer in MN for the cruise control.

Well I have wasted my time taking the G to 4 different dealer, and they have not done S!@#, the first one toll me that
They do not do Grey market car and that any grey car is not worth having, the second toll me that they do not have the program, the 3rd one toll me that they will not do it, because they do not know how. And the 4th one charge me $160.00 to tell me that yes they need to set the feature on but they do not know how, and if they try there is a possibility that they damage the ECU and they will not replace it. (Bull S!@#$)

I will have to drive back to Indiana.

any ideas will help, but I just want to vent

JV
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Author
Posted 8/10/2006 2:51 PM
DUTCH
Administrator Doppelgänger

Vehicle(s): 2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI,2018 Sprinter
RE: F!@#$ with MBUSA

Why not call Russ Leabch of the old Europa Int'l; and see if he can connect you with one of their old "service partners". If you need his phone number, drop me an email.
#37425 - in reply to #37423
Author
Posted 8/10/2006 2:58 PM
hipine

Date registered: Jul 2006
Vehicle(s): 460 1980 280GE w. 617A

In my opinion, your ire is a bit misplaced.  MBUSA is not responsible for that vehicle being sold in this country.  Never has been, and never claimed such.  It's not far off of taking your Porsche to a VW dealer and being all mad that they can't fix it.  A little silly.

Remember too.  MBUSA is not Mercedes Benz.  Mercedes Benz, the company of such high reputation for customer and vehicle support, doesn't exist anymore.  I'm still tempted to call that "world wide support" number that's posted inside my glovebox door and see what happens these days.

Dutch is right on.  Go through the people who brought the car here in the first place.  They're the only ones who ever claimed to support that vehicle in this country.

-Dave G.

#37427 - in reply to #37423
Author
Posted 8/10/2006 3:25 PM
G1979
Veteran

hipine - 8/10/2006 2:58 PM

In my opinion, your ire is a bit misplaced. MBUSA is not responsible for that vehicle being sold in this country. Never has been, and never claimed such. It's not far off of taking your Porsche to a VW dealer and being all mad that they can't fix it. A little silly.

Remember too. MBUSA is not Mercedes Benz. Mercedes Benz, the company of such high reputation for customer and vehicle support, doesn't exist anymore. I'm still tempted to call that "world wide support" number that's posted inside my glovebox door and see what happens these days.

Dutch is right on. Go through the people who brought the car here in the first place. They're the only ones who ever claimed to support that vehicle in this country.

-Dave G.

I have live In many places out side the US and my father always drove MB, and no matter where, He never had a problem of a dealer telling him that they where not going to take care of his car because, it was not bought in that country. Mercedes Benz is Mercedes Benz any where else.

I don't think Ferrari will tell the owner of an early 1970's Ferrari that they have to go somewhere else to get his car fix. just because the where no Ferrari dealers in the US before 1979.

I think that is stupid that they will not make the effort to take care of a car that is made by MB

nothing personal

JV
#37437 - in reply to #37427
Author
Posted 8/10/2006 3:50 PM
Brent
Expert

Vehicle(s): '13 Wolfsburg GTI

Strange that you didn't have any luck in MN with the dealers. I had my grey market G's worked on at both Sears Imported autos and Feldmans imports in the twin cities. The better of the two IMO is Feldmans, they even had a tech that had owned an older G and their shop foreman was very good at troubleshooting my '95 G320. As for not worth having, what a crock of BS that is. The day I bought my 2002 from Feldmans they were also delivering a 2000 G500 that I was a day late on snatching up.

I can not imagine that there is any risk in letting them try to enable the cruise. My bet is the software is in their diagnostic tools aready and likely idnetical to E500 and S500 models. I had them tap into both my 300GE and G320 to reset the airbag fault light on several occaisons. They performed these simple resets for free. I had purchased other cars from them though. Try working with Reuben at Feldmans, he was their best service writer when I still lived in MN.

Good Luck
#37446 - in reply to #37423
Author
Posted 8/10/2006 3:51 PM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 280GE SWB, Toyota Highlander, BMW530i, RR HSE
Re: F!@#$ with MBUSA

Dutch does make a good point of calling Russell at Europa. You cannot trust every MBUSA dealer, even if the three pointed star is displayed at their location.

Whover the dealer was that told you it was a grey market vehicle, was wrong. If the vehicle was imported properly with the correct documentation on the driver's side door (CA emissions, DOT, etc.), it is not a grey market vehicle.

It seems like the only one who told you the truth was the 3rd one who said they did not know how. It was better for them to admit they did not know how than to say they could and screw up your G.

You would think with Minneapolis/St Paul (1.5 hours away) being as big as it is, there is bound to be someone there who can fix it. You make a good point about MB with your analogy to Ferrari and your father's MB.
#37447 - in reply to #37423
Author
Posted 8/10/2006 4:42 PM
Adoni
Expert

Vehicle(s): '00 G500, '15 C300 4Matic, '06 L322 G4

California:

Silver Star Motors
Owner : John Ralich
Service Manager : Ed
7749 Fair Oaks Blvd
Carmichael, CA 95608 (Sacramento Area)
Phone :(916) 944-2000

We have been taking our out of warranty Mercedes Benz vehicles to John for years. He has very strong convictions when it comes to honesty and integrity. He will look at your vehicle objectively and tell you whether or not he can fix it. He is not afraid of so-called grey-market vehicles as he realizes that engines and transmissions were always interchangeable across the MB lineup, so if you can work on a 1975 MB 280 you can work on the motor for a 1985 MB 280 GE. He grew up in the old Eastern Block and learned to be a Mercedes Mechanic in the Mid 70's in Austria. When he came to the U.S. he became a service and repairs manager at the local MB dealership and was awarded Service tech of the month 18 months in a row. I have never had any problems with John, our vehicles have always been repaired promptly and at very fair prices (ie, far cheaper than the dealership) His business Silver Star Motors has a long reputation of quality (25 + years) worksmanship in Sacramento Area.
#37467 - in reply to #37423
Author
Posted 8/10/2006 4:45 PM
Adoni
Expert

Vehicle(s): '00 G500, '15 C300 4Matic, '06 L322 G4

If anyone needs a good body shop, I also have a good friend of mine who does excellent work, he pulled all the dents out of my 280 GE and created a brand new fiber glass rear bumper cap by creating a new mold, right now you cant tell which was the original cap and which is the new one. He was also able to take of the rust issue I had along the rockers and did a phenomenal job of matching the patina on the white paint.
#37468 - in reply to #37423
Author
Posted 8/10/2006 4:54 PM
G1979
Veteran

Brent - 8/10/2006 3:50 PM

Strange that you didn't have any luck in MN with the dealers. I had my grey market G's worked on at both Sears Imported autos and Feldmans imports in the twin cities. The better of the two IMO is Feldmans, they even had a tech that had owned an older G and their shop foreman was very good at troubleshooting my '95 G320. As for not worth having, what a crock of BS that is. The day I bought my 2002 from Feldmans they were also delivering a 2000 G500 that I was a day late on snatching up.

I can not imagine that there is any risk in letting them try to enable the cruise. My bet is the software is in their diagnostic tools aready and likely idnetical to E500 and S500 models. I had them tap into both my 300GE and G320 to reset the airbag fault light on several occaisons. They performed these simple resets for free. I had purchased other cars from them though. Try working with Reuben at Feldmans, he was their best service writer when I still lived in MN.

Good Luck

Thank you
Feldmans Imports is the only one I have not try, and I was going to give up and drive to Indiana, I will give them a call.
JV

No I did try them the one is Mapplewood

Edited by G1979 8/10/2006 5:07 PM
#37471 - in reply to #37446
Author
Posted 8/11/2006 4:23 AM
VCR

Date registered: Dec 1899

I also had already same small problems whit MB dealers in Portugal and believe me a letter explaining what was going on to Stuttgart made all of the difference.
#37594 - in reply to #37423
Author
Posted 8/11/2006 8:35 AM
mb230s

Vehicle(s): G-less for now, vintage MBs, FJ40

G1979 - 8/10/2006 2:25 PM
hipine - 8/10/2006 2:58 PM

In my opinion, your ire is a bit misplaced. MBUSA is not responsible for that vehicle being sold in this country. Never has been, and never claimed such. It's not far off of taking your Porsche to a VW dealer and being all mad that they can't fix it. A little silly.

Remember too. MBUSA is not Mercedes Benz. Mercedes Benz, the company of such high reputation for customer and vehicle support, doesn't exist anymore. I'm still tempted to call that "world wide support" number that's posted inside my glovebox door and see what happens these days.

Dutch is right on. Go through the people who brought the car here in the first place. They're the only ones who ever claimed to support that vehicle in this country.

-Dave G.

I have live In many places out side the US and my father always drove MB, and no matter where, He never had a problem of a dealer telling him that they where not going to take care of his car because, it was not bought in that country. Mercedes Benz is Mercedes Benz any where else. I don't think Ferrari will tell the owner of an early 1970's Ferrari that they have to go somewhere else to get his car fix. just because the where no Ferrari dealers in the US before 1979. I think that is stupid that they will not make the effort to take care of a car that is made by MB nothing personal JV

Ferrari is the absolute worst w/ "grey" market cars.  Try getting a Euro-spec Ferrari fixed in the USA.  Damn near impossible.  They have engineered in so many differences it can almost be impossible.   

#37610 - in reply to #37437
Author
Posted 8/11/2006 9:51 AM
KERR

Date registered: Dec 1899

I know how you feel, i get the same thing but mine is a us version and mb does not care if you have problems or not. Which is fin, ill never own another benz. Bmw did the same deal to my father back in 94. He will not even look at them now.

#37618 - in reply to #37423
Author
Posted 8/11/2006 11:37 AM
gwagen460swb
Extreme Veteran

Vehicle(s): 280GE SWB, Toyota Highlander, BMW530i, RR HSE

Posting again my recommendation here in Arkansas:
Sherwood Imports
8890 Landers Road
Sherwood, AR 72120
501-835-8800
The owners and mechanics are Robert Bigjany and Alfred Zadoorian.

I have received excellent advice from Sean and Steve at Eurotruck in Oakwood, GA as well as wonderful parts. Anyone had any repairs done there? I am thinking of stopping by there on the way to Athens, GA for a Georgia game this fall.
#37633 - in reply to #37423
« View previous thread :: View next thread »
Page 1 of 1 1